Meridian 588: It's the real deal!
May 1, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #16 of 24
Honestly the more I look at it the more it reminds me of an 8 track deck. But I don't buy audio products for how they look.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
i noticed the faceplate says "24-bit"....... how's that? are they referring to HDCD's or what?

(and yeah... to me they look about 10 years outdated. i wouldn't buy it on looks, that's for sure. but for the price, it better perform.)

The Meridian 588 has been out for around 10 years as I understand. At any rate, I wish there was some anodized aluminum or gold engraved lettering to spiff up the exterior. If I saw this player at the electronics store, I'd mistake it for a $40 CD player.

May 1, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #18 of 24
They look a little better in person. Also, the thing on top is the remote -- it's not attached to the unit. If you take it out of the picture the thing looks more reasonable.

May 1, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph34rful
Does anyone else find that absolutely hideous looking?
icon10.gif

It's all business, not looks. Meridians almost all look like that. I don't like how it looks, but it wouldn't bother me if I liked how it sounds. It's all about the sound, not the looks.

May 1, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #20 of 24
I'll tell you what. There are maybe five or six digital players that I would use along side my analog rigs and the 588 is one of them.

the others

MF NuVista (not the Trivista)
Revox E-642 w/ dac upgrades
Meridian 507(and other 508 family members)
Meridian G08

These players sound the most "analog" to my ears and I think Meridian has always done digital right. I formerly thought that MF had it down but the latest Trivista stuff is a bit of a letdown.

You did good with the 588 and that design will stand the test of time. It was great 10 years ago and it's still great. All the advances in digital have made the gaps in the performance of digital players small but the best remain the best. I take back my warning about spending big bucks on digital. That last 5% is expensive but worth it to my ears.

May 1, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
They look a little better in person. Also, the thing on top is the remote -- it's not attached to the unit. If you take it out of the picture the thing looks more reasonable.

I think they look a lot better in person. Especially with the glossy top cover. But, the remote is big and clunky in my opinion. It is much beefier than any of my other remotes, and much prettier, but functionally I like my Sony 555ES remote much better

May 1, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
I think they look a lot better in person. Especially with the glossy top cover. But, the remote is big and clunky in my opinion. It is much beefier than any of my other remotes, and much prettier, but functionally I like my Sony 555ES remote much better

We will have VERY similar rigs soon. (with the pending purchase of a Omega II system). Perhaps we can compare reviews later on?

May 1, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph34rful
Does anyone else find that absolutely hideous looking?
On the plus side I bet it sounds incredible...
icon10.gif

Nope, maybe that picture but in real life it's pretty nice looking!

May 1, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
It's all business, not looks. Meridians almost all look like that. I don't like how it looks, but it wouldn't bother me if I liked how it sounds. It's all about the sound, not the looks.

Yep, I remember posting a comment about the Meridian looks before. I personally think they look very "seventies"..
wink.gif
I can imagine one sitting in Bobby Ewing's office on Dallas..
biggrin.gif
Wouldn't stop me buying one, though. I must say, though, the Arcam FMJ is very aesthetically pleasing to me and being as it's going to be perched on my desk right in front of me all the time, I'm kind of glad about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back