meridian 206 / 207 / 208
Mar 15, 2006 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
HI .
Is there someone who have listened to the meridians 206 / 207 / 208 ?
Do they compare nicely with 506 / 507 / 508 - or different tier ?

Thanks for looking in and answering .

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 10
I missed buying a 206 the other day by minutes
frown.gif

I'd be interested in hearing what folks have to say as well, from what I've read online the bang for your buck seems to be a 20bit 508 which sounds nearly as good as the 508.24 but doesn't retain value as well due to the missing 4 bits.

Nate

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 10
I believe these are quite old models from the late 80's early 90's, I'm guessing they probably sound reasonably good for the used asking prices but my one big concern would be reliability especially of transports and whether the parts are even still available if problems were to arise.

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
I believe these are quite old models from the late 80's early 90's, I'm guessing they probably sound reasonably good for the used asking prices but my one big concern would be reliability especially of transports and whether the parts are even still available if problems were to arise.

imo
no big deal for 300$ .. 300$ for a meridian , and good overall conditions , is enough for me as long as the sound is good . From the little I read around they sound more vinilish then others ( the 208 being the more bassy ) which is nice thing to switch as options ; my first source would ba a Wadia and my pc source would be a Zhaolu ( I'll get it when it gets decently supported ) which from what I understand is not vinilish at all but rather very precise sounding .

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
imo
no big deal for 300$ .. 300$ for a meridian , and good overall conditions , is enough for me as long as the sound is good . From the little I read around they sound more vinilish then others ( the 208 being the more bassy ) which is nice thing to switch as options ; my first source would ba a Wadia and my pc source would be a Zhaolu ( I'll get it when it gets decently supported ) whic from what I understand is not vinilish at all but rather very precise sounding .

That's your call, for me $300 is still quite an investment that I wouldn't want wasted because of electronics failure due to age. I think for the money you could probably find something that sounds just as good if not better but that's just a hunch. If you're looking for something more vinyl sounding you might look into an NOS DAC like the Lite DAC-AH on the low end, a Storm Digital D02 in the under $500 category or something like the dAck in the higher range.

Just a suggestion.

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 10
That's probably because I've never experienced age related failure in my gears, but I understand it may happen ; yours is deinifitely a good call and point .

About the advice , I'm just seeking those units for the transport+dac combo and low price , to have a second/third cd source ; at the moment I don't think there's much better as an all-in-one option for a nice budget source . For now I'm more interested on sound rather then on the rest , as I'm oriented on a full ( budget , used? ) unit sounding very vinylkind ( ala Rega Planet )

PS : they are also equipped with a pre-amp (!) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back