Mercuttio.....WHy DO I NEED AN AMP?
Feb 27, 2006 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Dollaboy

Banned
What the bloody hell?

I am about to get the Beyer DT700 and the Senn HD 25-1

Pretty cheap right...
rolleyes.gif

Why do I need to Re-wire, Amp, gagagagaga, all this ****, with headphones that cost this much anyhow? Why can't they just make them sound beautiful for there ****ing selves.

No disrespect to the audiophiles here by puttin the BK boy in the title, you guys can answer too, but so far, he's been the dude with all the answers....

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollaboy
What the bloody hell?

Pretty cheap right...
rolleyes.gif

Why do I need to Re-wire, Amp, gagagagaga, all this ****, with headphones that cost this much anyhow? Why can't they just make them sound beautiful for there ****ing selves.

No disrespect to the audiophiles here by puttin the BK boy in the title, you guys can answer too, but so far, he's been the dude with all the answers....

Whoa, addressed directly to me? Uh, well OK... in the future use the Private Message feature, if you're only going to address me.

The DT770 is a good sounding headphone. Absolutely no doubt about it. You can get it without an amp and it'll sound really nice. In fact, they'll sound better than any headphone you've heard so far.

But, it's going to sound better with more power pushing it. That's just the way it works. An amp makes it punchier and helps un-recess the midrange. In higher end headphones, they don't expect you to run them out of an iPod. They figure you'll be plugging them into higher end audio gear (not necessarily a dedicated headphone amp) or good studio equipment, and those really generate current. I don't know if the DT770 was really designed for audiophile listening. Near as I can see, it was made to be a studio headphone. They DID NOT make it for portables.

See, unless you compare it to even higher end headphones though... you may not even notice it needing those things. Just because someone here says "This sounds better when you pour more money into it" doesn't mean that you NEED to pour more money into it. You don't know what else they've tried, or what their ears like. I compared my HD650 to an HD650 this past weekend that had a $350 cable... that's right, $25 more than I paid for the actual headphone. It made them sound about 5% better, it did. But was it worth the extra cash for me? Nope. I'm getting 95-96% of the sound for half the money. You really need to decide just how far you want to push your own gear.

Feb 27, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 50
You don't need to re-wire any headphones, period. I sorta wish people wouldn't confuse such n00bs by recommending esoteric strategies to them.

Also, I find the tone of your post pretty far below what I'm used to on this forum.

Feb 27, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 50
Quote:

What the bloody hell?

Pretty cheap right...
rolleyes.gif

Whoa...

For a moment, I thought I was in some kind gamer's forum or a sports team's forum...

LOL.
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
Whoa...

For a moment, I thought I was in some kind gamer's forum or a sports team's forum...

LOL.
biggrin.gif

Ditto. It completely reminded me of my old posting on IGN or Xbox.com days...

If any part of my response isn't understood though, I really don't know what to say. That was as simple as I could word things.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 50
Why do you guys have to be such nerds about everything?

"YOur tone"

What?

Mercuttio, wasn't referring to you anyhow.

But check this out, I am also From Brooklyn, you have pretty much made my mind on the Beyerdynamic 770's, now.....what should I use for the train?

Senn HD 25-1?

Mind you, all of these are for Laptop, and Ipod listening. The 770's for movies and video games.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

"YOur tone"

What?

Mercuttio, wasn't referring to you anyhow.

But check this out, I am also From Brooklyn, you have pretty much made my mind on the Beyerdynamic 770's, now.....what should I use for the train?

Senn HD 25-1?

Mind you, all of these are for Laptop, and Ipod listening. The 770's for movies and video games.

Speaking from experience, the 770's are great for games. I think you'll be really happy with them.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 50
Yeah I am on the same boat as you and don't get it either. It amazes me that a $1000 headphone won't sound as it should without an amp. But as a fellow head-fi'er put it to me, it is just like people putting expensive tires on a Ferrari.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 50
Hey Dollaboy, why are you buying headphones that need an amp? Are you an idiot? Only NERDS buy headphones that requires amp. If you want to stay cool, you best stick with bose.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

"YOur tone"

What?

/rant

We're pretty anal when having proper grammar. It's pretty annoying, IMO, to read through several pages of OMG1337HACKERZ!!!!!!111. And small piece of advice, don't go attacking a particular member in any post, it is a little bit inconsiderate to do that. And stop the swearing, it won't get you anywhere.

/end rant

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
.. in the future use the Private Message feature, if you're only going to address me.

This is exactly why. I agree with azncookiecutter, I have never seen something good come out of threads adressed to a specific member at a public forum. If what Mercuttio suggested isn't among the forum rules it should be IMO.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 50
You need an amplifier if the headphones you have are not adequately powered by the source you're using. When driven from an underpowered source, you run the risk of hurting the sound in quite a few ways:

1. Op-amp clipping by pushing your source's op-amp past its ideal values. This usually occurs when running a high impedance set of headphones at high volumes from a low voltage source (like, say, a laptop or an ipod).

2. Speaker clipping caused by op-amp distortion. Distortion can often be twice as loud as the average volume of the music being played. Turn a 4-watt Wal-Mart radio up all the way and you get a load of this.

3. Impedance mismatching resulting in strange frequency response characteristics.

4. Gremlins.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #13 of 50
not all the headphones really need "big" amps.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 50
I think he's kind of going after the community as a whole, not me. It's just a really silly way to get questions answered. Honestly, I'd kind of like a Mod to delete the thread... I don't think there's any point to answering questions when they're phrased like that, and I can't see this going anywhere good.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

pfft n00b!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back