Men should not wear white socks
Aug 10, 2016 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
A true gentleman does not wear white socks. However, the rule can be broken in some situations. Here's where whites are appropriate.

1) At the gym. It's appropriate to wear white socks when exercising at the gym or if a gentleman is jogging in a training field.

2) it's acceptable to wear white socks if a gentleman is wearing boots since the boots cover them.

3) if you insist on wearing white socks, short ankle white socks only may be acceptable with sneakers. Be careful wearing long white socks with shorts because it will make you look like Beavis and Butthead.

The worst faux pas of wearing white socks is with black leather dress shoes. Yes, I know. Michael Jackson broke that rule but remember, the 80s was that bad period when men wore mullets so it was a chaotic time of fashion.

I must admit that Pee Wee Herman looked great in white socks so it is possible for a gentleman to break the rule in rare cases.

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 24
A true gentleman does not wear white socks. However, the rule can be broken in some situations. Here's where whites are appropriate.

1) At the gym. It's appropriate to wear white socks when exercising at the gym or if a gentleman is jogging in a training field.

2) it's acceptable to wear white socks if a gentleman is wearing boots since the boots cover them.

3) if you insist on wearing white socks, short ankle white socks only may be acceptable with sneakers. Be careful wearing long white socks with shorts because it will make you look like Beavis and Butthead.

The worst faux pas of wearing white socks is with black leather dress shoes. Yes, I know. Michael Jackson broke that rule but remember, the 80s was that bad period when men wore mullets so it was a chaotic time of fashion.

I must admit that Pee Wee Herman looked great in white socks so it is possible for a gentleman to break the rule in rare cases.

I have a really light blue pair of jeans that i often wear a white shirt and grey hoodie and runners with, I see no other sock colour option with that outfit other than white.

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 24

That still depends on the color of your shoes. If your shoes are white, or any light color, sure. However some shoes are white on the outside but the entire interior is black, including the parts of the lining visible from outside, in which case black will look better than going white sock-black lining-white sock.

I have a similar issue with color blocking in other aspects, like with tropical military boots. The upper section is a more flexible leather or other kind of water proof fabric, like this one, but reservist training over here issues such boots with the upper section (green in the photo) in glaring white. I felt like we looked all 17th Century in the wrong way (ie the ankle pants, white socks, black shoes of the era). Then you slog through mud and have to really clean the thing before the next training session. While that seems like a good way to train people, the problem is that it's a tropical climate. You might have gone to school in clean boots, but walking to the assembly area can already mess them up right before the freaking uniform inspection.

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #9 of 24
But,    but,    white socks just don't stay white for very long..........    
blink.gif

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #10 of 24
  But,    but,    white socks just don't stay white for very long..........    
blink.gif

Depends on your shoe lining and probably sweat acidity as well (plus the detergent, water quality, etc). When I was a kid they didn't, because school uniforms had us wear leather shoes and white socks and they got yellowish before it was time to retire them as garage rags. The socks I use with athletic socks stayed white until my toe punches a hole through them, save for that time I had running shoes that were green everywhere.

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 24
Haven't wore a White sock since i was 9! And won't be ever again.

Aug 14, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 24
Compared to what? Black dress socks? I don't get the hate here...

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 24
Well white socks are for girls.

I'd bet any of these guys will take your head for that though.

Do I really need to introduce this guy

Musashibo Benkei guarded a bridge over a castle moat so that Minamoto No Yo****sune can die honorably by his own sword. After killing several samurai in CQB, the Minamoto suddenly remembered there's a reason why they had arrows and horses. It took them a while to realize he was already dead because he was impaled to the castle door standing, and nobody was brave to check. His usual footwear was not only white socks, but white socks with sandals, as was customary for monks.

Others can be simply fabulous despite what we think of white socks.

Ludwig of Bavaria

Maximilien of Bavaria

Users who are viewing this thread

Back