Melos SHA-1/Grado HP-2 mini-review/impressions (pictures)
Mar 10, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 19
Congrats on getting the Melos, J! A nice clean example too.

Yes, there is definitely a classic synergy thing happening with the Grados, to be sure.

Tube rolling is an easy way to play with the sound. Check out this old Melos tube rolling thread for some good info & recommendations. Happy reading!

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 19
Great read! Very nice review!

I was thinking of the same strategy with using the Melos as a pre-amp. I'm using it with my Rotel RB1080 for speakers. It's definately not the right amp for my speakers btw.

I've compared it to the Rotel RC-1090.RB-1080 (balanced from pre to amp only). The RC-1090 definately has synergy with the amp, but the Melos was very close sounding much more pleasant. The Melos was more musical and grainless.

Try it with your K-1000s. You'd be suprised how good it makes them sound for a headphone amp.

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 19
I'm very jealous of your setup. Nice post and good pictures.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 19
there is virtually no task that requires the removal of the front-panel.

i would NOT recomend leving the amp on 24/7. the melos design is known for chewing through tubes, so turn it on about 30 min before you listen, and off when your done. unless you are breaking in black gate caps of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 19
The Melos tube rolling thread was a huge help, and I'm surprised that tube rolling makes a decent impact on the sound.

derekbmn: I think I'm done with buying headphones for a while, I imagine the Omega 2 would sound great with a good poweramp.

nikongod: only reason I want to remove the faceplate is so that I can replace it with my black one.

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 19
For me the HP-2 never sounds better than when it's driven by the Maestrobated Melos SHA-Gold (and I'm not even a big fan of the HP-1000 series). Yes the EAR HP4 does wonderful things with the Joe Grados as do the SDS-XLR, Zana Deux and Wheatfield HA-2, but the synergy between the Melos and HP-1000 series is undeniable and indeed magical; that system is still one of my favorite headphone combos of all time (perhaps because the Melos engineers worked with Joe Grado on the design). Enjoy the rig!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 19
Perhaps if I can find another SHA-1 I will give it the Maestrobator treatment
evil_smiley.gif

I'm afraid to touch anything on this one. It's just so quiet/black and I listen at low volumes so I love that part.

And I still haven't even got around to trying it as a preamp with my K1000 setup. The HP-2 has been hogging all the head time
eek.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 19
Man, it's not often I am struck with a twinge of envy, but I must admit, I felt some here.

Congrats on the most excellent system!

Best,

-Jason

Mar 13, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I still haven't even got around to trying it as a preamp with my K1000 setup. The HP-2 has been hogging all the head time
eek.gif

I hear ya. My K-1000 has been sitting idle, ocassionally getting some time.

The HP-2 makes sure of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back