Melodic power metal?
Oct 28, 2008 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
I've pretty much only been listening to Isis: Panopticon for the last few weeks. Great album. Really it is. But what I want now is something that is like Panopticon, minus all the boring parts. That is, slightly less structure-based and somewhat more brain-smashingly heavy power riffs--heavy vocals are OK here. I have discovered that parts of Panopticon have what I'm looking for here, but I don't really want to listen to them out of context. If you could extract 3:30-4:15 on the last track, what would you call that? Power death metal?

I have Earth Crisis (too uptempo) Riverside (too prog) Porcupine Tree: in absentia (too tame) Opeth Ghost Reveries (dunno, too complicated). I'm almost thinking of older Underoath here, but less 'hardcore' and more 'doom'. Help?

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 11
Amon Amarth... completely epic and over the top.
biggrin.gif
Not that that's a bad thing... but just try reading their lyrics without bursting into a smile when the entire first track of the album is about Thor smiting a sea serpent.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 11
Isis are one of the last bands I'd think to associate with the power metal genre. Have you tried listening to their most recent album, In the Absence of Truth? It's more melodic and experimental than Panopticon but still with a good amount of chug chug and i think the musicianship is a step up from Panopticon.

Another band you try is Gojira. Their music is like Panopticon without the filler and with plenty of double-kick. Cult of Luna also come to mind, although I think they're a blatant Isis rip-off myself. You could also give Textures a go. Their music has the slight hardcore edge that Isis' early stuff had but has polyrhythms and is generally much harder.

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 11
Power and epicness is right--that's why I mentioned ISIS, because they have that; I'm not necessarily looking for music with a theoretical/compositional relationship to isis but a relationship based on kickass-ness.

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 11
Yeah, Type O Negative is technically Gothic/Doom metal. More intimate and brooding than epic, most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back