Melbourne Meet: Sunday 6/4/14
Apr 3, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #256 of 311
I was lucky enough to have a fiddle with the x5 yesterday and I must say a few things

Damn it's built like a tank. The thing weighs more than most headphones I have owned lol. But it feels solid too which IMO is a good thing

The sound is very clean. I didn't find it. Bright but it's definitely not warm like the x3.
I would say (and this is from memory) that it shares a lot of qualities with the ak100 in that it's a very neutral yet musical and smooth sound.
A little too much so for me with my current in ears, as such I am keen to hear the dx90 with its twin mono setup. I am hoping for a sound somewhere between the dx100 and ak100 sig. That would be the dream haha.

Anyway your mileage may vary but I was fairly happy with it overall and I even thought the ui was pretty dang good for so early in its development.

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #258 of 311
I was lucky enough to have a fiddle with the x5 yesterday and I must say a few things

Damn it's built like a tank. The thing weighs more than most headphones I have owned lol. But it feels solid too which IMO is a good thing

The sound is very clean. I didn't find it. Bright but it's definitely not warm like the x3.
I would say (and this is from memory) that it shares a lot of qualities with the ak100 in that it's a very neutral yet musical and smooth sound.
A little too much so for me with my current in ears, as such I am keen to hear the dx90 with its twin mono setup. I am hoping for a sound somewhere between the dx100 and ak100 sig. That would be the dream haha.

Anyway your mileage may vary but I was fairly happy with it overall and I even thought the ui was pretty dang good for so early in its development.

Now I'm even more keen to hear it on Sunday!

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #261 of 311
I thought it was dual sabre dacs iirc but I may be making things up I will need to check the thread :S got me worried now haha

Oh, yeah that's correct! Meaning it'd be dual mono?
(Sorry, I'm not sure if dual DAC = Dual mono, haha :)
My amp runs two DACs and its a dual mono circuitry. If the DX90 is similar, I may have to grab one as a complementary.

EDIT: perfect! Thanks mate. Looks like a dual to me. :)

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #262 of 311
I thought it was dual sabre dacs iirc but I may be making things up I will need to check the thread :S got me worried now haha

I didn't realise there's a mobile version of the ES9018 (aka ES9018K2M), but there is! 
biggrin.gif
It offers two D/A converters on the one chip, with each handling one channel (in mono), similar to the normal ES9018 in the Matrix X-Sabre, with 8 x D/A converters on the one chip (4 x D/A in mono per channel)!

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #267 of 311
For those potentially interested the Mentors MIGHT be for sale after the meet (I guess everything is for sale).
Just working out money at the moment and where it lies and where it needs to.
But if you love them and you just simply cant get enough feel free to drop me a line hahahahah.

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #270 of 311
Looks like it's gonna be a DAP battle royale :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back