Melbourne Meet Saturday 13/7/13
Jun 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #286 of 391
Quote:
The one in Jaben already sent back to Singapore btw

you need proper DAC & amp to boost TH900, preferably one with huge soundstage. Unless I use my Liquid Fire, it sounds really cramped and I can hear too much wood reverb

:frowning2: I remember going in there while back last year and I asked one of the guys if I could listen to the R10 and the k1k they had in that glass case and the guy was like No way! Think it belongs to Uncle Wilson.

As with the TH900 requiring proper DAC and amp to boost the sound qualities, sure any headphone can benefit from it but then again it can't fix it's own flaws even if you had a very good amp to put something there that was not originally. Myself and the client fed his TH900 plenty of power including one of those Manley tube amp's with a SE out, my WIP caseless balanced b22, few RWA amp's, the head out of his unusual looking Luxman P - 600u series? amp. The TH900 is pretty coloured sounding and I'd take my balanced modded CD3k's over it anytime of the week as it has some similar sound traits to of it's bigger brother the R10. Of course I haven't heard the R10 but those who have owned both agree otherwise there is some similarities, even if i had the money I'd never drop it on a R10, easy driver failures, biocellulose break down which is specified to last around 2 decades, 4 variants of drivers, no thanks even if that diffuse field wood housing is doing all the magic.

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #287 of 391
I listened to the R10, but they don't let me try the L3000 connolly :frowning2: it is Uncle Wilson's collection

I never said TH900 being able to compete with R10, it just sounds a lot better with the right source and amp :p

on the other hand R10 was....pretty easy to drive. I tried it diirect with my Sony Walkman F back then and it sounds good already, I know it's not maximum but hey, not much choice in Jaben Melbourne

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #288 of 391
Quote:
For a closed can, the Fostex is very reminiscent of the Sony R10 and needs good quality amplification to shine.

The HD650 sounds more open obviously so a different sound sig.

As always Ultrasone was my least favourite. (Don't slaughter me now Ultrasone Army).

The Fostex was really oldskool, I liked the idea of perfect EQ response and how someone put the time and effort into making a super linear super fast (but super power thirsty) set of big cans- if you can drive em they might prove to have the highest scalability amongst closed big drivers

HD650 not really comparable yeah, just classic dark neutrals :p

Next time audition the Ultrasones on your trance playlist or anything electronic or artificial :p their sound is razor sharp and seperating so you can't use em for humanz xD but any game or dubz couldn't get a better style of workhorse :wink: I use em for gaming mostly

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #290 of 391
Quote:
:frowning2: I remember going in there while back last year and I asked one of the guys if I could listen to the R10 and the k1k they had in that glass case and the guy was like No way! Think it belongs to Uncle Wilson.

As with the TH900 requiring proper DAC and amp to boost the sound qualities, sure any headphone can benefit from it but then again it can't fix it's own flaws even if you had a very good amp to put something there that was not originally. Myself and the client fed his TH900 plenty of power including one of those Manley tube amp's with a SE out, my WIP caseless balanced b22, few RWA amp's, the head out of his unusual looking Luxman P - 600u series? amp. The TH900 is pretty coloured sounding and I'd take my balanced modded CD3k's over it anytime of the week as it has some similar sound traits to of it's bigger brother the R10. Of course I haven't heard the R10 but those who have owned both agree otherwise there is some similarities, even if i had the money I'd never drop it on a R10, easy driver failures, biocellulose break down which is specified to last around 2 decades, 4 variants of drivers, no thanks even if that diffuse field wood housing is doing all the magic.

The TH900 got a pretty lukewarm reaction, I don't think we tried them through some really good solid states so it'll have to be up in the air for now xD

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #291 of 391
Quote:
I listened to the R10, but they don't let me try the L3000 connolly :frowning2: it is Uncle Wilson's collection

I never said TH900 being able to compete with R10, it just sounds a lot better with the right source and amp :p

on the other hand R10 was....pretty easy to drive. I tried it diirect with my Sony Walkman F back then and it sounds good already, I know it's not maximum but hey, not much choice in Jaben Melbourne

True. Yeah I've also read here that they are quite easy to drive.

As with Jaben's, What? They let you listen to the R10's? :frowning2: :frowning2:. Yeah come to think of it I think they also had a L3k in the case as well, I vaguely recall remembering asking the white dude that works there if I could listen to the AT L3k on the Yamamoto HA-02 tube amp (as I've heard other AT's pairing wonderfully with this amp) and the guy joked around saying he could let me, but I have to pay him jokingly but yeah I wasn't allowed. Come to think of it, the R10's wooden cup's look bigger in real life than on the internet.

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #292 of 391
Quote:
True. Yeah I've also read here that they are quite easy to drive.

As with Jaben's, What? They let you listen to the R10's? :frowning2: :frowning2:. Yeah come to think of it I think they also had a L3k in the case as well, I vaguely recall remembering asking the white dude that works there if I could listen to the AT L3k on the Yamamoto HA-02 tube amp (as I've heard other AT's pairing wonderfully with this amp) and the guy joked around saying he could let me, but I have to pay him jokingly but yeah I wasn't allowed. Come to think of it, the R10's wooden cup's look bigger in real life than on the internet.

Well, I asked Josh, and I was working for Jaben Jakarta a few months before that, that's probably the case.

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #293 of 391
Hey! Could you please put me down as a maybe for the 2nd meet as I may not be in Melbourne!

Also I've just got some 65th Annie pads for my K702's which I'll bring, if parts come in time I may be able to bring a small tube/MOSFET amp I'm building and I can also bring my Rockit R50s Billy sold me if anybody wants! look forward to (hopefully) seeing everybody there!

Oh and the K702's have a cheapo custom cable I made which seems to sound just as good if not a little better than the original cable so I'll bring that too!

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #295 of 391
Quote:

Well, I asked Josh, and I was working for Jaben Jakarta a few months before that, that's probably the case.

Lucky, that's probably one of the reasons why. I hear a lot of good things with the overseas Jaben distributors, a wide array of stuff etc.
Quote:
The SRS 002 are indeed miniature versions of their bigger brothers. More towards the SR009 than the SR007 if I recall correctly. 

Actually the SR-002mk's sound very similar to the SR-007mk1's due to its slight warmish sound sig rather than the SR-009. 

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #296 of 391
Lucky, that's probably one of the reasons why. I hear a lot of good things with the overseas Jaben distributors, a wide array of stuff etc.
Actually the SR-002mk's sound very similar to the SR-007mk1's due to its slight warmish sound sig rather than the SR-009. 

Might explain gill's all-vocals playlist haha

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #299 of 391
I heard the Denon D7000 uses the same drivers as the Fostex TH-900. They even look very similar. Does that mean they sound very similar?

Can anyone comment on this?

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #300 of 391
Quote:
I heard the Denon D7000 uses the same drivers as the Fostex TH-900. They even look very similar. Does that mean they sound very similar?

Can anyone comment on this?

I've read some reviews and they look very similar and maybe have the same drivers, but do not sound the same. Also take a look at the flagship headphone review which sees the TH900 ranked higher than the AH-D7000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back