Melbourne Meet Saturday 13/7/13
Jun 29, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #271 of 391
True. I think the one area they never truly compare is space and ambience in the sound. A good set of open earphones (Senns, Beyers, the FA-011s I heard today) create space in the sound that can't be achieved with closed headphones or IEMs.

I think that's why I like both - the IEMs regularly outperform headphones in detail and imaging, but then I turn to headphones for space and ambience.

Not trying to convince you either way, it's just an interesting discussion.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #272 of 391
The only headphone that I felt truly was much better than IEMs were the Audeze LCD-3 and HiFiMAN HE-6 that I heard today. 

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #275 of 391
I personally didn't like the Fostex so much and found the HD6x0s to be better then them. I'm not a fan of their sound sig. 

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #276 of 391
For a closed can, the Fostex is very reminiscent of the Sony R10 and needs good quality amplification to shine.

The HD650 sounds more open obviously so a different sound sig.

As always Ultrasone was my least favourite. (Don't slaughter me now Ultrasone Army).

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #278 of 391
Quote:
Didn't try Loquah's Ultrasone, but the pads felt really hard and uncomfortable.

It's actually quite a comfy headphone (I'm wearing it now!)

The HFI-680 is the most un-Ultrasone headphone I've heard in their range, but I agree with Gill that you either love or hate their sound. I am a fan of the 680 for what they are, but there's plenty better out there (like the Fischer FA-003 Ti I heard today)

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #280 of 391
Thanks lin0003 and Bill for today. :)

One of the system im very impressive is HD650 and Crack. Thinking of building the amp when i have time. After the meet I happen just "steal" 2 boards EHHA from zobin , that might be my project at present cause most of the works are done. Hope it is not too difficult. =))

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #281 of 391
Hey guys,

It was great to meet you all today!

Thanks for making the effort to come down, and thanks to Lin for organising the meet.

I had quite a few highlights, but it was the first time I've listened to a Bottlehead Crack, and I must say its very impressive!  Thanks Lachlan for bringing it down for us to enjoy. :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend guys.

Billy

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #283 of 391
I have heard the Bass Light version and what I referred to was the tonality and the overall feel.

It sounded like a Mini version of the R10 and justifies its price, a rarity in High End audio today.

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #284 of 391
Quote:
I have heard the Bass Light version and what I referred to was the tonality and the overall feel.

It sounded like a Mini version of the R10 and justifies its price, a rarity in High End audio today.

You should listen to a CD3k and then tell me which sounds closer. Are there even any Australian's that own a R10? I find that very hard to believe (except the display at Jabens). That said, I have heard the TH900 and it was a disappointment to my ears for that price tag it wears. The finish is absolutely a beauty but I find it no different sounding to a pair of Lawton modded D7000 with J$ pads.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #285 of 391
Quote:
You should listen to a CD3k and then tell me which sounds closer. Are there even any Australian's that own a R10? I find that very hard to believe (except the display at Jabens). That said, I have heard the TH900 and it was a disappointment to my ears for that price tag it wears. The finish is absolutely a beauty but I find it no different sounding to a pair of Lawton modded D7000 with J$ pads.

The one in Jaben already sent back to Singapore btw

you need proper DAC & amp to boost TH900, preferably one with huge soundstage. Unless I use my Liquid Fire, it sounds really cramped and I can hear too much wood reverb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back