Melbourne Meet Saturday 13/7/13
Jul 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #317 of 391
Quote:
I've had an idea for those that joined us at the 1st Melbourne Meet (and others if interested). There was significant interest in my Bottlehead Crack amplifier.

Who would be interested in a group buy of Crack kits and possibly a day of construction where we could work together on building them?

Let me know if you would be interested in just a group buy and / or the "Build Day". I am sure Bottlehead will help us out with a good deal.

Beside the HD600/HD650, what other cans do they match well with. Also, what's a rough estimate of the cost of the kits?

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #321 of 391
Risk of fire is very low, especially if using solder stations with proper holders for when the irons aren't in use.

Regarding builders, we can obviously discuss if anyone wants theirs built instead of doing it themselves, but there's a lot of satisfaction when you're using an amp you crafted yourself!

In terms of matching with various cans: anything of 300 ohm and up is a great match with the Crack. Below 300 ohm you may have success, but it will be all about synergy and whether the impact of the Crack's relatively high output impedance does good things or bad things to the particular headphone. For example, my new FA-011 LEs (thanks again Billy!) sound OK out of the Crack, but they sound awesome from my solid state - all depends on synergy.

Some known and recommended (not by me, but from my research) matches:
  1. HD600 / 650 / 800
  2. Beyer 600 ohm (and possibly some 250 ohm models)

There are comments about it pairing well with lower impedance cans like K701/2, K501, even Etys, but I can't comment and wouldn't want to recommend that based on the numbers, but often the results can be contradictory to the numbers (e.g. my HFI-680s were improved by the AK100s high OI)

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #324 of 391
Quote:
Don't they come with an additional impedance switch or is that a different amplifier. I am willing to spend a bit more for upgrades.

Different. That's the SEX. That's actually the one I'm interested in (or maybe the new Mainline amp), but I thought others might like to keep the project more simple and cost effective. I'm open to thoughts though and can see what Eilleen can arrange.

Let me know if you would prefer to order and build the SEX (US$539) rather than Crack (US$279). I think the Mainline is in a limited quantity preorder phase so we've probably got buckly's of getting them and they're US$999.

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #327 of 391
Quote:
The SEX seems a more versatile option though as I had a lot of headphones and it would be great to use it for all of them.

I agree. I haven't tried it, but I wonder (from what I've read) if the Crack is better with the HD650s than the SEX (jack-of-all trades, etc.). I would definitely like to try the SEX with some of my other gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back