Melbourne Meet 19/07/2008 - Impressions
Jul 19, 2008 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

NeObliviscaris

Niiice!
Previously known as FeedMeTrance
[size=large]Melbourne Meet 19/07/2008 - Impressions[/size]

Just to kick things off, it was an awesome day, had a great turn-out and some amazing equip.

I brought along:

160gb iPod
A whole stack of CDs
RSA Predator
RSA SR-71*
Xin Super Micro*
Xin Super Mini*
Stax SR-001*
UE Triple Fi 10
Ety ER4P/S
Ety ER4P (APS Cabled)*
HeadAmp Pico
LiveWiers

(* = borrowed from webbie64)

I tried so much, will come back to write more
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 25
how is it that i always miss these things by 1 day...i was in Toronto for a long time and found out about that meet one day too late, and now the one in Melbourne...hope everyone had fun!

Jul 19, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 25
Hope you guys (and girls?) had a really nice meeting down-under.
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't wait to see some pictures, an read impressions..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labelwhore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how is it that i always miss these things by 1 day...i was in Toronto for a long time and found out about that meet one day too late, and now the one in Melbourne...hope everyone had fun!

Well, you need to keep a closer eyes with the "Local / Regional Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers" forum.
wink.gif

The Melbourne 2008 one have been running for two months... http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/it...rprise-338457/

Jul 19, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 25
What a great day. I'll come back and post my impressions later, but for now I just wanted everyone to know about the official Melbourne meet group:

Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - Local Meet - Melbourne, Australia

Go and register there if you'd like to be notified whenever there's a new meet planned for Melbourne. That way you'll have no excuses for missing it in the future!

Oh, and also wanted to thank Jai for organising the meet and pizzas -- good work mate!

Next big meet in about six months yeah?

Jul 20, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 25
A pity i couldn't make this one. I'm sure you guys had a ball yesterday but where's the photos and meet impression.

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 25
Horray, we'll get to see me trying out music in a semi-hangover state. Though I don't think anyone noticed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Horray, we'll get to see me trying out music in a semi-hangover state. Though I don't think anyone noticed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quoting Bill Murray :

"For relaxing times, make it Suntory time." Sorry i can't help posting this.
biggrin.gif

lost%20in%20translation%20SPLASH.jpg

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #11 of 25
Hey Suntory, I'm not sure I even met you on Saturday. Mind you, I don't know what you look like so I may have. You should have come with a bottle of your namesake! There were a few people I didn't meet and/or talk to. I guess I'll have to make more of an effort at the next meet.

I had a look at the photos I took, but I don't have any really good ones from the meet. Maybe someone else can post theirs? As far as impressions go, I really didn't end up listening to as much as I was hoping to. I guess the main thing that really impressed me was the Pico. Man, that little DAC/amp is absolutely stunning, both in it's visual presentation, and the music that it makes. I was particularly taken with how lush the midrange was... puts my Alien/M^3 combo to shame! I know where I'll be investing my money if I ever want to upgrade my portable solution.

Mmm, speaking of portables. The Yuin PK1 were also quite amazing. I can't say I've ever really expected much in the way of performance from earbuds, probably because I only owned cheap pairs during the 90s. But, when I heard these guys I was mightily impressed. I didn't really give them a hard time, but from the short listen I had, they seemed to have a nicely integrated frequency response that would be more than adequate for portable use -- it really felt like I was listening to something with bigger drivers!

Although we ran out of time, I did manage to spend a whole 30 seconds listening to the Darkvoice amp. This is the second meet that I've had the chance to hear one of these but just haven't had the time. Anyway, my initial impression wasn't too favourable when being fed from the SA-11 and driving my HD650s... there was way too much valve bloom happening. I think this was after the stock valves were swapped back in tho, so maybe next time I'll get to hear it once it's had a little fettling.

Hey Minivan, I never got a chance to discuss the K1000s with you, but I'm sure you had a session with them... what did you think? And James, what did you think of the presentation of that Storm DAC (the audio, not the casework!)?

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #12 of 25
Pics + Impressions = Thx!

biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 25
Last meet there was definitely more desktop gear -- probably around ten or so full-sized rigs. This year the desktop gear was rather light on. Also, the fact that Jai was able to bring so much portable gear seemed to give things a bit of a portable bias. Hell, even I had some portable gear there this year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back