Meier StageDac vs DAC19MK3 ?
Dec 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Markitch

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. Here is my question. Knowing im using Woo 6 maxxed with sr325i, wich dac will u prefer.

With the Stage DAc in the future (thinking on speakers) i will only have to buy a pair of active speakers. Talking about the dac i like natural crossfeed-filter, that u can play with it and change sound. But i dislike 16-bit, 48kHz usb input ( i can fix it with musiland 02 that i own)

The DAC19mk3 is cheaper, and have good reviews here, but thinking on future i will have to buy an stereo amplifier and a pair of pasive speakers.

all advices will be gratefully received.

PD: excuse my english
Thanks

Dec 29, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 13
Others here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think crossfeed is a feature intended to be used primarily with headphones to try and create a more natural soundstage. If you're primarily going to be using the DAC with speakers instead of headphones, you may not need the crossfeed feature.

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 13
Hi Markitch,

If you need a DAC with a variable output, the Meier Stage dac will probably do the job for you.

Concerning sound quality, I haven't found yet any direct comparisons between the 2 dacs, so there could be only speculation about how the two units compare to each other.

By the way, both dacs are limited to 16/48 with the usb input. But, if you already have the Musiland 02 it should not be an issue and in fact, since it is a good transport, it will probably improve the sound of built-in usb inputs on most DACs.

Finally, if you are still hesitant between active speaker vs. amp + passive speaker, I would recommend the amp + passive speaker option. It is not that it will sound better but you will have a lot more alternatives if you wish to upgrade incrementally later.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 13
So, has anyone compared the StageDAC with an Audio-GD DAC?

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Trying to revive this thread- is anyone able to comment on Meier StageDAC v Audio-Gd 19MK3?

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have compared the StageDAC to a compass DAC. Not really a fair comparision. The StageDAC was better in everyway. Much richer midrange, noticably more bass extension, less brittle highs.

But I suspect you want to hear about how it compares to the DAC19.

That I can't really comment on. Since they both are in roughly the same price category and both seem to have very satisfied customers, you could decide based on the features.

They are both designed by experienced head-fi enthusiasts, built in china and can be bought directly from the deisgner, by passing middlemen. I suspect they are very competitive with one another soundwise.

If you want crossfeed or the ability to send a signal to powered monitors and control the volume from the DAC, the stageDAC has a definite edge.

If you want to base it on sound quality alone, I guess we'll have to wait and see if anyone ever does side by side comparision.

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 13
Strangely, these were the two DACs I was looking at recently as an upgrade. They both seem to offer really good vfm. It seemed to me that the Stagedac has more going for it in terms of features - the crossfeed options seem really great, but the DAC19 uses really top-notch converters. It was a very tough one to call.

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 13
Depending on your room space, I recommend you to go with passive speakers and amplifier if you have enough space, at least 2m from you and each other (minimum usually, first you have to check the speakers manual to see the minim recommended distance) if you put passive speakers near to you they wont sound good at all.(maybe there are passive speakers for near field but the majority are asking a decent distance from the listener). If you want to put the speakers on your desk and near you, you probably should go with active speakers (aka monitors). I do have passive speakers and it is a must to have a 3m distance from them. Best way is obvious to listen first and see.

I also have to decide between stagedat and the 19dsp. there is no direct comparison between them. StageDac has a lot of settings that are more for cans than for speakers, i didn't listen them so I can not know which sounds better. I use speakers and cans and thats why I can't decide.

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by soberspine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
StageDac has a lot of settings that are more for cans than for speakers, i didn't listen them so I can not know which sounds better. I use speakers and cans and thats why I can't decide.

Well one cool thing with my desktop monitors is the StageDAC and crossfeed for speakers. Being desktop speakers they are just on either side of my monitor which normally makes for a rather tight small soundstage. When I use the StageDAC crossfeed switch position designed for speakers the soundstage pleasantly widens.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strangely, these were the two DACs I was looking at recently as an upgrade. They both seem to offer really good vfm. It seemed to me that the Stagedac has more going for it in terms of features - the crossfeed options seem really great, but the DAC19 uses really top-notch converters. It was a very tough one to call.

Looks like the DAC19 won out, huh? Had a chance to listen to a StageDAC to compare? I've yet to find anyone who's heard both, but the consensus seems to be they're pretty darned close, can't go wrong with either unless the StageDAC crossfeed or multiple settings is important.

I'm guessing you're pretty happy with the DAC19, too. I haven't heard from anyone who has any significant gripes about it, at least when compared to anything within $500 of its cost.

With that said, can anyone report on a head-to-head match up btwn StageDAC and DAC19 in terms of SQ?

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chzplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like the DAC19 won out, huh? Had a chance to listen to a StageDAC to compare? I've yet to find anyone who's heard both, but the consensus seems to be they're pretty darned close, can't go wrong with either unless the StageDAC crossfeed or multiple settings is important.

I'm guessing you're pretty happy with the DAC19, too. I haven't heard from anyone who has any significant gripes about it, at least when compared to anything within $500 of its cost.

It did indeed, but that was mostly down to the fact that there is a UK A-Gd stockist. I haven't heard a Stagedac and would still like to, as the crossfeed section looks fab. What the DAC19 has going for it is the quality of the conversion - and I will attest that it is in a different league to my other DAC (apogee duet). The sound is very neutral, and crystal clear and there is a realism to the way that instruments are voiced which I haven't heard before.

I guess that, not having the opportunity to audition one or the other, you can safely assume that either would make a terrific DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back