Meier Corda Move details released
Jul 7, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #226 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thurston Moore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the current capacity of the power supply effect the performance of the MOVE as long as you have one that handles more than 50 mA (as recommended in the user manual of the MOVE)? I have found power supplies that handles far more...everything from 500 mA up to 5,0 A at 12V. Does it matter? Are the ones being able to handle a higher current making the MOVE perform better?

The maximum current output is determined by the op-amp, in this case 45mA. The amp will draw only as much current as it can utilize regardless of the amount of current available. The specs say that the mean uptake in low current mode is 7mA and in high current mode 18mA.

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #227 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one I got from Jameco works fine and is regulated, linear 12vdc 500ma. It ran $13.14 and another .95 for the correct sized barrel plug (+tax+s/h). Parts number are in an earlier post in this thread.

Itsborken, I decided to order up the same power supply and connector as you did. It’s pretty cheap insurance I guess and since it’s working for you I have more confidence. I did notice that the OD of the barrel plug is a little shy of Jan’s spec of 3.8mm. Any comment there?

I’ve been reading some scary things about switching power supplies being noisy and I’m still waiting for Jan’s comments. He probably is relaxing in the backyard as I am right now. Anyway, I’ll be able to A-B the two power sources which may be of some benefit to the team. That is if my unsophisticated ears could possibly discern any difference. I also ordered up a nifty multi meter to boot.

OD

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #228 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thurston Moore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have found power supplies that handles far more...everything from 500 mA up to 5,0 A at 12V. Does it matter? Are the ones being able to handle a higher current making the MOVE perform better?

I think of car battery amperages, etc. and wonder along the lines of too much a a good thing... I'm running 500mA and it seems to work fine. Watts = Volts * Amperage and we don't need a lot of watts to drive headphones.

I hooked up my Move to an adjustable ratshack/belkin 3-12vdc 500ma PS and it had a lot of static out of the right side. Disconnected it real quick and measured the voltage with a fluke. It was putting out 18.5v on the 12v setting yikes. Put the money into a good quality power supply as saving $5 to burn out a $235 move doesn't seem smart.

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #229 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now quite tempted to maybe try something a bit further up the line like the Opera.

I did the same thing after getting my porta corda mkiii usb--the quality/clarity was excellent and I had to see what the change to the balanced ground would do. I was not disappointed in the least with the Opera.

You may want to wait until the Cantata (sp) comes out sometime in July to see if there's a major design difference between that and the Opera.

Jul 7, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #231 of 1,165
Quote:

I did the same thing after getting my porta corda mkiii usb--the quality/clarity was excellent and I had to see what the change to the balanced ground would do. I was not disappointed in the least with the Opera.

You may want to wait until the Cantata (sp) comes out sometime in July to see if there's a major design difference between that and the Opera.

The Yamamoto was going to be my last amp, but this is Headfi and things change.
The Move and the W5000s sound pretty good, much more bass than I expected and I keep telling myself I need a good ss amp.
Yes I'll be watching the Cantata release with much interest.

Jul 7, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #232 of 1,165
I am thinking about the same thing. I thought Prehead might be my last headphone amp, but, you know, the MOVE really changed something. I really like this New Meier Sound and now I think the Opera is on my list. Still thinking a way to convince my wife the Opera is truly indispensable...
frown.gif
frown.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #233 of 1,165
Jul 7, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #234 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this sounds stupid. I am totally new to this, and I am trying to buy the AC adapter for MOVE.

Is this the right one to buy?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

It says it is regulated so I guess its voltage is 12v when its set to 12v. Price seems high. Did you get it already and do you have access to a multimeter to check its output?

This radio shack adapter is similar at $18 but includes 1 adaptaplug vs the 7 you are paying extra for.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #235 of 1,165
Quote:

It says it is regulated so I guess its voltage is 12v when its set to 12v. Price seems high. Did you get it already and do you have access to a multimeter to check its output?

No.

I haven't bought it yet. I am trying to figure out what I should order.

I also went to jameco (based on your previous thread), and found this.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...oductId=162996

Is this the right one to order? I am not a solderer, so I'd like to buy one that I can just use right off.

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #236 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just giving it a few hours burn in now but quite happy with the quick listen with ATH-EW9s and W5000s using battery power. Currently running the E-Sound Signature through it.

Hey tuatara i'm just wondering if the move made a significant difference for your AT Headphones. I am currently looking to improve my source for the A900 and this seems like a good DAC/AMP combo but i'm just worried that the A900 wont benefit from the amp since AT's are usually low impedance and it is probably better to spend my money on something with a better DAC and an cheapo amps.

Jul 7, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #237 of 1,165
I'd like to suggest before buying a ratshack PS, measure its output V first. I tried one 12V "regulated" PS in a Ratshack store and it gave 13.5V. Actually it's a good idea to test all these wall wart before using it. I have one PS came with a NAD PPA-1 phono amp. It is marked 15V regulated but has a 24V output...
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #238 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey tuatara i'm just wondering if the move made a significant difference for your AT Headphones. I am currently looking to improve my source for the A900 and this seems like a good DAC/AMP combo but i'm just worried that the A900 wont benefit from the amp since AT's are usually low impedance and it is probably better to spend my money on something with a better DAC and an cheapo amps.

It's not bad with the ATs, not as good as the Yamamoto or Mapletree but you wouldn't expect it too be.
With about 20hrs on it to my ears it sounds better with the W5000s than the AD2000. As I said earlier quite a suprising amount of bass depth with the W5000, not as sharp and precise as my tube amps.
For what I wanted it for, ie portable in home amp, its great. I could imagine it making a nice little work amp as well. I haven't tried the USB/DAC as I dont listen to music via the computer at this stage but much better than just using the headphone out on the i-pod.
I'm using a 12V regulated output at the moment but cant say I've noticed a huge difference between that and a 9V battery. A nice black background with the battery power, the ATs being pretty sensitive to any hum.

Jul 8, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #239 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry, in generally the designer should have some reservation in case for any problem. I have tried to drive it up to 15VDC for hours and still no problem. Surely if possible, don't follow me because you will have your own risk to damage this device.
cool.gif

The mkiii was rated for 28v and I believe someone had it up to 30v. My concern with the voltage doubler is 18.5v x 2, or 37v. Jan might build some slack into the design but I wouldn't risk mine or anyone elses Move on a guess. I guess when somebody cooks one we'll know what too much is.

*EDIT* not a concern with the voltage doubler, its a great idea and improves sound quality at low volumes. Concern being eating the slack at 2x rate.

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #240 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not a solderer, so I'd like to buy one that I can just use right off.

Yeah, that jameco supply requires soldering so it won't work for you. Sorry about that; these power plugs are pretty small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back