Meier Cantate and Opera owners
Dec 22, 2007 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JML

Headphoneus Supremus
When I went to try out the low-gain shunts on my Cantate, I realized that one of the 8 small flat-head screws that hold the top plate in place, under the corner post caps, was too short to enter the threaded portion of the corner post.

Jan Meier doesn't have spares, and so I contacted Shanling, in China, to get their specs. They told me these are flat-head M3 x. 5 x 7 mm screws. So I ordered a bunch of replacements from Fastener Express.

I used M3 x .5 x 8 mm stainless, with a Phillips #1 recess. But I ordered other sizes and recess fittings to try, and so I have extras. I have on hand the stainless in 10 and 12 mm lengths, and black hex-key fitting alloy screws (stronger) in 8, 10, and 12 mm. These are about $3 for 50 screws, on average. The OEM screws are not as long as I was told -- they're more like 6 mm at best. Any of these screws will work fine, and the heads are all hidden under the corner post caps, so the color is meaningless. The stainless are not magnetic (the originals are attracted to a magnet).

I don't need all that I have on hand. So I'll be happy to send any Meier amp owner a set of 8 screws, until I run out of what I don't need for my use, if you cover my costs of shipping. Just send me a PM and I'll send you my address; if you then send me a small padded envelope with your return address and sufficient postage affixed (figure 3 first-class stamps), I'll send out the screws to you.

I also recommend use of an antiseize compound on the screws. I use Lanolube, which is a pure lanolin grease used for gauging, tapping, etc. With such small screws, you don't want them to gall and seize on the aluminum threads of the corner posts (I also used it on the threaded rod under the caps).

Dec 23, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 4
I didn't know as much about the Opera, so I just assumed it was set up the same way.

Dec 23, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by JML /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't know as much about the Opera, so I just assumed it was set up the same way.

Yeah, it's one reason (aside from the sound quality) that I decided to wait and save for the Opera. I don't like having to open up equipment to make changes that you might use on a regular basis. The high gain mode on the Opera does not merely "up the power," but it actually changes the spatial location of the vocalist, bringing him/her right up next to you. I use it on occassion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back