Meier Audio StageDAC
Mar 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #332 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darn, I can't make up my mind between the StageDac and Audio-GD DAC19

I really dig the crossfeed features, since I listen to older jazz and classical orchestra a lot..
I think it boils down to how the quality of the DAC compare..

Any chance the Audio-GD sounds better or much different hen the StageDac?

Writing this I realise I'm gonna go for the StageDac....I think
biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot for the excellent write ups, it helps a lot Leonardo

I am pretty pleased with the ability to set the filter and oversampling parameters. It is good for matching your fones/taste/music....

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #334 of 634
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png
I ordered my StageDAC a few days ago... W O O O H O O O O ! ! ! !
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png

If YOU were a basshead with little ability to tolerate sibilance, and if YOU were looking for the warmest, richest sound but not at the expense of high-end detail (I know, it's a push-me-pull-you kind of scenario), what filter/oversampling combos would YOU try first?

Did I mention... WOO HOO!!!

Thank you for your attention.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #335 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by chzplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png
I ordered my StageDAC a few days ago... W O O O H O O O O ! ! ! !
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png

If YOU were a basshead with little ability to tolerate sibilance, and if YOU were looking for the warmest, richest sound but not at the expense of high-end detail (I know, it's a push-me-pull-you kind of scenario), what filter/oversampling combos would YOU try first?

Did I mention... WOO HOO!!!

Thank you for your attention.

Congratulations. A very good purchase.

1. Allow time for burn in before really evaluating it IMHO.

2. Only then play with the various combinations.

3. No particular recommendations on where to start as what works for you will depend to a degree on your other equipment and your ears. However do try all the various options, over time, with a variety of tracks/genres, and not just the filter/oversampling combos. For instance, for me, regardless of use of crossfeed or not, I think with some combos it can be worth playing with the tonal balance option as well.

Of course. YMMV.

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #336 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations. A very good purchase.

1. Allow time for burn in before really evaluating it IMHO.

2. Only then play with the various combinations.

3. No particular recommendations on where to start as what works for you will depend to a degree on your other equipment and your ears. However do try all the various options, over time, with a variety of tracks/genres, and not just the filter/oversampling combos. For instance, for me, regardless of use of crossfeed or not, I think with some combos it can be worth playing with the tonal balance option as well.

Of course. YMMV.

How much burn-in do you think is needed? This was the evaluation unit used for the 6Moons review, I am guessing they burned it in a-plenty before testing, but I'll find out.

Thanks!

Ira

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #337 of 634
Quote:

How much burn-in do you think is needed? This was the evaluation unit used for the 6Moons review, I am guessing they burned it in a-plenty before testing, but I'll find out.

Thanks!

Ira

Jan advised me on a good 200+ hours, mainly for the capacitors, and I found it did make a difference for me (not 'night and day' but noticeable improvement, particularly in your preferred bass region). I used Pink Noise and Jan also suggested some bass-heavy pop-music which has a near-constant level.

However, like you, I would hope 6Moons did burn your one in before testing...

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #340 of 634
Quote:

Does disabling the variable output shut the output down or does it become another fixed output?

yeah- x2. Inquiring minds want to know (before their StageDac comes and then they have to figure it out for themselves, which is much harder than typing.)

Thanks if you know

Ira

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #341 of 634
Also, not that I'm planning anything yet (I don't even have the da*n thing yet), are there tweaks that people have played with? Also, is the opamp rollable?

Ira

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #343 of 634
Quote:

Anybody?
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Does disabling the variable output shut the output down or does it become another fixed output?

I haven't tried it but understood from an earlier post that it shut the output down. You could confirm by emailing Jan Meier direct as IIRC it was his comment that indicated that shutting it down 'might' improve SQ.

Quote:

Also, not that I'm planning anything yet (I don't even have the da*n thing yet), are there tweaks that people have played with? Also, is the opamp rollable?

No I haven't tweaked in any way (haven't had a reason to) and I haven't investigated opamp changing (but I would think it would be a soldering job, not designed for opamp rolling like in some portable DAC/Amps).

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #344 of 634
I gave it a go and it does disable the variable output but does not give you another fix output (unless I did something wrong. There are two jumpers to fiddle with).
Yours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back