Meier Audio Corda Prehead with high impedance headphones
Nov 13, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to be the first one to hear Corda Prehead mk1 through 600 Ohm headphones?

I don't think there are a lot of people with the Prehead MkI.
I have the MkII SE and a 600 ohm K240 Sextett. I have to turn the dial up considerably (3 o'clock) to get decent volume, even from the high Z output (that is for high impedance phones). It sounds good though.
The Trafomatic Head One does better. The X-CAN v8 also needs to be turned up to 3 o'clock, but sounds way better (with these phones and for my ears of course).

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 9
I have to make a correction: I had it on low gain. It is significantly louder on high gain. This is a very good amp, but very neutral. I prefer tubes with most phones (but not all).

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering how would a Prehead mk1 behave with high impedance HP like 600 Ohm DT880. Anybody with particular experience?

I've had my Prehead mk1 for years pairing with Senn 650. I always have the volume around 9 o'clock. IIRC Prehead mk1 is more powerful than its successor mk2, and all subsequent flagship models. The maximum output for Prehead mk1 is 13V / 800 mA (that's 10W!!!) and the maximum gain factors 8 / 20 dB. I think the power and gain raiting should be more than sufficient for your DT880.

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks klemchang. I have had the Prehead for sometime myself driving K701. I usually keep it switched to high gain and also rarely go further than 9 o'clock. The low gain position is not very much to my taste even if raised to the same presure level (which comes somewhere aroun 12 o,clock) it seems to me there is mor dynamics when driving in high gain. Somebody wrote here in head-fi about the prehead being able to drive even K1000.

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 9
Corda amps are recognized by their amazing neutrality. It can be a good or a bad thing, depending on who owns it. I love their neutrality, since I like to hear the music as it's supposed to sound.

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Corda amps are recognized by their amazing neutrality. It can be a good or a bad thing, depending on who owns it. I love their neutrality, since I like to hear the music as it's supposed to sound.

Agreed entirely. Actualy a friend of mine has a Prehead modded and it sounds even better than mine. Clearer, and more direct and open. I am thinking seriously about it. And I keep thinking of what klemchang says about Prehead's output. 10W is actually more than my current speaker amp, which gives about 7-8W (SE 300B) and much-much more than my previous speaker amp with its 2.5W (2A3)
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back