Meier Aria or iBasso D1 for HD600??
Nov 2, 2007 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

admos

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I need some help here. I want to buy a Dac/Amp combo below $300 to power my HD600s. (used Aria maybe) It probably will be feed in via USB port from my laptop. And I guess I will enjoy classic musics most of the time with this rig. Which one should I go for? Any suggestion? Thanks!

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 8
i guess i'm in a similar situation, but would rather not drop half a grand for the cantate..the aria according to skylab's review is somewhat brighter sounding than the cantate. What I'm wondering is how much of a difference exists between the dac's and the crossfeed (aria only has a low setting)

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 8
If you are going to be stationary while using your laptop then go w/ the home amp/dac. If you will be moving the iBasso D1 would be a better choice specially w/ different op-amps.

Another option would be the Leckerton Audio UHA-3, which is siginificantly smaller than the iBasso D1. Personally I like the sound of the iBasso D1 more but if you will be doing a lot of traveling (trane, planes, etc) the size advantage of the UHA-3 would play a major role.

Good luck.

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the replies!
I dont need any portability for the amp, so I guess I am more leaning towards Aria. I read Skylab's review too, so right now I have one more concern: is this amp good for HD600s? Is it will too bright? Thanks again!

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are going to be stationary while using your laptop then go w/ the home amp/dac. If you will be moving the iBasso D1 would be a better choice specially w/ different op-amps.

Another option would be the Leckerton Audio UHA-3, which is siginificantly smaller than the iBasso D1. Personally I like the sound of the iBasso D1 more but if you will be doing a lot of traveling (trane, planes, etc) the size advantage of the UHA-3 would play a major role.

Good luck.

I am with mrarroyo in that I just swapped op amps in my iBasso D1 and it sounds wonderful with my HD650's and it is a portable DAC to boot. However if you are looking for really good buy for a stationary home DAC/amp that sounds great with HD600 / HD650 phones, you can check out this ZERO 24/192 amp that is sold on eBay. I bought one and am so Happy with it! It only cost me $150 + $40 shipping (from China to USA)! And it sounds smooth lush and highly musical with the Sennheiser HD650/HD600. But it only has digital coax and optical inputs. No analog nor USB inputs. Still a great buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back