1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Meets. How to....

1. Happy Camper
    There are many members who've not had the opportunity to go to a meet because of distance, cost, etc. We have mini meets often but the big meets are usually in the big cities.

I'd like to open a discussion on how to organize a meet so that more people can share the fun and education of our hobby. There are many issues concerning a meet that will dictate the location, services, schedule, etc.

So to help those considering such an effort, how do you go about organizing a meet? How do you find members in your general location to submit invitations to? What kind of notice time is necessary for a good turnout, etc.....

I've thrown a couple of (mini-meets) gatherings but were in the 20 or less size before the format change here. One could type in a city and find the members listed there. So I have little to offer but hope others that have organized and managed meets could chime in and give some advice and perhaps a structure for planning a successful meet.

2. fatcat28037 Contributor
    Start planning 6 months prior to a when you'd like the meet to occur.

Finding local Head-Fiers for the first meet can be a challenge. If you're interested in organizing a meet you've probably been on Head-Fi for a while and aware of a few others in your area (100 mile radius), I'd suggest:

1) contact them and ask if they're interested and if they can add names to a list. use these names to create a PM mailing list.

2) post in the local meetings thread giving a town where the meet would occur and a meet month. don't be more specific about place or date, it's too early in the planning stage.

3) add an Advertisement to your signature, a lot of people will see that.

4) as you gather names ask them for head-fiers they know. add everyone to the PM list.

5) allow 2 to 3 month to put together a list of possible attendees before selecting a venue and date.