Meet the Sennheiser HD 820
Jan 9, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #227 of 498
Sennheiser just produced a dud with 660, at least according to Tyll Hertsens, who thought it didn't improve on the 650.
He also thinks the AFC is better than the EFC and the AFO better than then EF. I (somewhat respectfully) disagree with him on all three accounts (and am not the only one).

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #228 of 498
I’m seriously going to be shocked if these sound like anything other than an hd800s. Just don’t see it. Easiest headphone in the world to tame bass on due to lack of quantity would be the hd800. Not that I could I’m just saying that if every company was forced to turn their top tier headphone into a closeback without making it less bassy to reduce resonances, Sennheiser would have the easiest job.

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #229 of 498
@Sennheiser

Will the HD820 show up soon at the SF store?

BTW, I like the setup you guys did there. Makes it easy to bring in our own sources to try with the Senn gear. First time I got a good listen of the HD800s and HDV 820. Very fine combo.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #231 of 498
'very light on bass' - I hope this isn't the case.

Was hoping this would be HD800 meets something with a linear bass extension, or even a slight bass hump. That might depart too much from the reference sound of the HD800.

Perhaps Sennheiser figures for the bass inclined,their offering is the 630VB - which I'm fine with.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #232 of 498
The HD820S will have smoked glass.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #233 of 498
Mm...I am very wary of bass light comments. Bass light compared to what? 800? 800S? Utopia? Audeze lcd4? Abyss? Driven out of solid state? Tube amp? Etc. Etc. Etc. So, the reddit comment is to be taken with a grain of salt because it lacks perspective or points of reference that summit headfiers are familiar with. Best we wait until proper reviews are published and measurements are made and disclosed for public scrutiny.

Personally, I do not expect the 820 to be bass heavy (too much). It is a reference grade headphone after all. I'd be very happy if the 820's bass response is closer to the wonderfully yummy, supremely balanced and freakishly detailed bass of the HE 1.

This January 2018 Sennheiser "surprise" was speculated (spot on as it turned out) in this April 2017 thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheisers-new-dynamic-flagship.845643/page-3

So, some of us are not surprised by the intro of the 820.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #234 of 498
AE64BB53-1487-4710-BEF3-1C0EEB1A3FB7.jpeg
96225D25-6290-48F1-AB42-0F47A794C2F3.jpeg
Exactly, bass can be extended and detailed and removed from the ever threatening mid-bass bloat, and still be called bass-light by some listeners. I want a review with a side by side with the HD800. When the HD800 came out I tried it with a range of amps, listened to the HD800 with mods, and a range of pricy cables. I ended going Fostex as I liked the low-end better. I always thought Sennheiser could make a great close-back. The part of the review which says they sound good with rock IS exciting.

They most likely look more like the top picture than the lower extra warm one supplied by Sennheiser.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #235 of 498
Seems like an interesting pair of cans. As someone who hasn't followed any of the rumors on this device, it actually surprised me that Sennhesier of all companies would release a closed back flagship. I'm hoping to be able to try it out sometime in the summer. Hopefully the bass is of a bit more quantity and extension, but we'll see...

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #237 of 498
Not really, If it's the same strength as a cellphone screen it could break from falling on the carpet, like some of my cellphones in the past.
That's supposed to happen only if they meet something stronger than themselves on a durity scale. My phones never got a scratch with the same glass actually.

That's not really how it works. What you're talking about is the hardness of a material, which isn't what breaks it. Hardness is just the abrasive resistance of a material, in other words, how resistant it is to scratches. What breaks a material is toughness and Gorilla Glass honestly isn't that tough

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #240 of 498
I'm curious why they went with a 4.4mm termination when they are 300 ohms and not really suitable for most DAPs? If they require power from a full size amp then why not use XLR?

Hopefully they are somehow easy enough to drive from a good DAP, and be transportable.

This is the only Sennheiser product I've been very interested in.

Im curious to see how this will work with DAPS too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back