1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Meet the Sennheiser HD 820

First

Back
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Next

Last
  1. noplsestar
    What about the driveability of the HD820´s? Will they be real portable? I mean, will they be able to be driven by a DAP that can also drive, let´s say, the HD650´s?

2. noplsestar
    I mean, yeah, the´er probably too big to "go out" with em. But on the other hand: They look nice (one might even say: sexy) :)

3. gb21011971
    I agree, I hope this is Sennheiser's answer to the Z1R, but I also hope they take it into a different direction. I had a love-hate relationship with the Z1R for the 6 months that I owned it. Generally, the quality is very high - as it should be for the price tag. Bass is absolutely world class, deep extension, good quantity and also very 'dry', fast and no mid-bass bleed. It is a very resolving headphone, but unfortunately it doesn't always feel like that, due to the infamous 'veil' of the Z1R. It's tonal balance is, well... unbalanced. Recessed highs and mids do not offer enough to counter the dominating bass. I would describe the overall sound signature as "thick". For certain genres, like EMD, it is a perfect headphone. For others, like Rock or classic it is less well suited. Instruments sound veiled, missing the sparkle that e.g. my Beyer T1 has.

Hence I sold the Z1R. I am not saying it's not a good headphone - it is great, but due to its very unique sound signature and tonal balance, in my mind it is more of a specialty or niche headphone. And for that it is just too expensive IMO, especially since its little brother Z7 offers the same sound signature as the Z1R for a fraction of the price. Quality, especially with the surgical tape mod is at 90% or so of the Z1R. So I kept the Z7 for occasional EMD sessions.

So for the 820, I am hoping for the Sennheiser sound signature. Basically for a better HD800s with a bit more warmth and a bit more bass.

trellus likes this.
  4. beowulf
    Those pads are looking comfy. Might be a plus. I never liked the ones on the 800/800S (and I'm a fan of Alcantara).
    Too thin, too abrasive.

5. Matez
    Not an outdoor product, that's for sure...

noplsestar likes this.
  6. thatonenoob
    I'd prefer to be able to bring it out tbh. That's what closed cans should be for right?

7. trellus
    That's certainly one use case, but another is use inside but where isolation is still needed, in which case, portability might not be a big factor. I can't see how the HD 820 will fit the bill for portable.

8. Dobrescu George
    I've seen people using HD800 outside, so a closed back version would be even better

Hifiearspeakers and trellus like this.
  9. trellus
    Those are braver (or richer? lol) souls than me, I'd be afraid of harming my precious headphones.

I'm sure people take all manner of headphones out -- I'll admit that I actually purposely take open headphones (but much cheaper ones like the Koss Portapro, Sennheiser PX-100ii, or even cheap bluetooth, open Sound Blaster Jam) as there is a definite benefit to the "situational awareness" that open headphones can provide, but my point was that closed cans aren't necessarily only for portable use (as the poster seemed to imply), and that the HD 820 in particular aren't headphones most purchasers will use outdoors while out and about.

Mark Up likes this.
  10. thatonenoob
    I agree, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that more people need closed for outside use than for isolation indoors (which is certainly valid too). I'm okay with bringing headphones out, for the most part.

11. thatonenoob
    On a separate note, can we try and bring the two threads together @Sennheiser. Thanks!

12. flargosa
    $2,400! :astonished:. It must sound really good then. Like $2,400 good.

AlwaysForward likes this.
  13. talan7
    I think I asked before. How does the HD800 respond to bass boost and eq? Can I raise the bass without it distorting?

14. heliosphann
    Ok, my post has almost as many likes as the main thread post. I think at minimum, @Sennheiser should send me a 820 review unit to check out. :grin:

15. kernel8888
    I’m pretty surprised how much flac a totl senn full sized closed can is getting.

Closed HD800? Yes please.

Don’t like the price? Well you’ve got 5 options:

1. Start your own headphone company so you can set the price
    2. Make more money
    3. Wait for the price to drop/buy used
    4. Credit card
    5. Don’t buy

What’s the purpose of complaining?

The is shaping up like the beginning of the isine thread.

You’d think headphone enthusiasts would be excited about headphones... haters gonna hate.

Wilashort, Sp12er3, trellus and 4 others like this.
First

Back
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Next

Last