Meet the Sennheiser HD 660 S
Oct 19, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #61 of 396
for a first time headphone purchaser, would you guys say this is the one to get over hd600 or hd650? this is right in the budget i wanted to spend.

Who knows? Maybe it's only different from 600/650. Not better

Strong possibility so nothing like wait and see how it fairs after good reviews (sorry but most of the ones we can read here lately are over-hyped reviews and impressions) are released.

Get from here AND other sources and take your own conclusions, just in case you have no opportunity to try them yourself.

Oct 19, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #62 of 396
The HD 660 S should be available for sale in 2-3 weeks

Question.... Why name it hd660 S and not just hd660? Usually the s is used for revised products like the h800s. In this case, despite being based on the hd650 it hás new drivers and therefore deserved the new number (since it uses new technology it would be wrong to name it 650s and it would probably lead to some confusion among buyers), but still, why the S?

Just curious.... :)

Thank you....

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #63 of 396
Question.... Why name it hd660 S and not just hd660? Usually the s is used for revised products like the h800s. In this case, despite being based on the hd650 it hás new drivers and therefore deserved the new number (since it uses new technology it would be wrong to name it 650s and it would probably lead to some confusion among buyers), but still, why the S?

Just curious.... :)

Thank you....

Here's my guess. There's already a headphone on the market with the name HD-660, namely the Superlux HD-660.
If you google for 'HD660', 'HD 660' or 'HD 660 headphones' a lot of search results are about this Superlux headphone.

If you google for 'HD 660 S' you only find search results about these new Sennheiser headphones. I couldn't spot a single link about the Superlux HD-660. So, this naming instantly gets rid of this potential confusion.

That's just my guess though. It could also have been a different reason, or a combination of several reasons (which could include the Superlux HD-660).

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #64 of 396
Here's my guess. There's already a headphone on the market with the name HD-660, namely the Superlux HD-660.
If you google for 'HD660', 'HD 660' or 'HD 660 headphones' a lot of search results are about this Superlux headphone.

If you google for 'HD 660 S' you only find search results about these new Sennheiser headphones. I couldn't spot a single link about the Superlux HD-660. So, this naming instantly gets rid of this potential confusion.

That's just my guess though. It could also have been a different reason, or a combination of several reasons (which could include the Superlux HD-660).

Good guess actually. When I first google the HD660, yup, the superlux came out. Sennheiser might want to make it unique so that whenever you refer the hd660s, you know it's from sennheiser and not superlux.

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #68 of 396
I currently have the hd650 + bottlehead crack/speedball, do you think that the new 150ohm impedance of the hd660s will work well with the crack?

I posed this question on the Bottlehead forum since I plan to buy the HD660S and I am curious about the Crack/SB, I received a curt "how could we possibly know?" in response. With that being said, Bottlehead recommends headphones above 120 Ohms for the Crack, which the 660S is. It is well-known that the tonal profile of the HD650 is a good match for the Crack, and the HD660S is widely believed to contain a variation of the HD700 driver, which also has a good reputation for use with the Crack. So, it would follow that a HD700 driver tuned to sound more like an HD650 would be a good match for the Crack/SB from a technical and tonality perspective. That is the best guesstimate I can come up with without hearing it with my own two ears :)

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #69 of 396
I could tell you, if I had the Bottlehead Crack, but I don't. I can only say that an amp designed to eq kinda the HD650's shortcomings could be useless or totally wrong with the HD660S. Even though the frequency plots seem rather similar, they sound more different than alike to me. Somebody needs to try that who has this amp.
HD650 relaxed and sleepy
HD660S wide awake, but still relaxed

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #70 of 396
Does the bass sound like an empty barrel, like HD700? The bass on HD700 seemed too aggressive in an annoying way, like someone hitting me with a stick. The HD650 bass is more meatier and softer, but not muddy.

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #71 of 396
Does the bass sound like an empty barrel, like HD700? The bass on HD700 seemed too aggressive in an annoying way, like someone hitting me with a stick. The HD650 bass is more meatier and softer, but not muddy.
The bass of the 650 is muddy in comparison. I love the HD660S bass. It is well done.

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #73 of 396
You may be on to something here...

I bought the 650's about a year ago, and just didn't like them. Foregoing a long description,
they just sounded "dead". Bought 3 "upgrade" cables, but none of them helped their sort
of foggy, clamped-down sound. Soon sold them.

Every time I check Tyll's Wall of Fame, I see that he's replaced the HD 650's with the HD 600's.
His opinion is not the final say for me by any means, but he does know a lot and this switch
interested me.

So, what the heck, I decided to try the HD 600's - and I'm very glad I did. I liked their sound
and fit right out of the box. I replaced the cable which was too long for me. Other than my
Grado's, (RS1i and PS500e), they've become my most listened-to headphones, Just recently
sold my AKG K712's, and with their sound in recent memory, I'm quite certain that I like the
HD600's more.

If the new 660's receive widespread outstanding reviews from people who have actually
listened to them (and who don't have a financial interest in their success), I'll check them out.
But I feel no urgency to do so - based on the history of the 600's and 650's, they should be
available for a good long time.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #74 of 396
I am really happy with my 600 and feel no urge to upgrade. If I do, I will wait for the price to drop. Nabbed my 600's for just under USD200 new. This does look very interesting though, and even at full list it isn't an insane price.

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #75 of 396
I don't think that would be a good pairing, output impedance is too high on the Crack.

That's what i was thinking.. i'm not very technical inclined but i know the good synergy between HD650 and the Crack has something to do with output impedance. With the HD650 i always prefer the sound from the Crack instead directly from my Chord Mojo.
However if the HD660 will sound better directly from the Mojo (which i consider a wonderful dac/amp) - i could sell the HD650+Crack as a bundle and get the HD660s for the money. But anyway until more reviews and comparisons surface this are all speculations..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back