Meet the HD 598 Special Edition
Dec 2, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #181 of 379

Indeed!

The fact that Grado goes to the trouble of matching transducer pairs with each other points out this variation quite prominently, I think.

Also, I once read about an experiment where people were listening to the exact same speakers for each listening session.  Not just the same make and model, but the exact same speakers in the exact same room with the exact same upstream chain and source material.  The only thing that changed was the color of the cloth covering the speaker grilles!  And yet, across all genders and age groups, there was a significant difference in the perceived sound, especially with certain colors.  And, black didn't fare that well, actually!  IIRC it came across as cold and thin.  Blue and red did better.  Yellow was harsh.  Etc.  Anyway, point is that it really is crazy what kind of subjective stuff can happen in this realm.  And in this case, maybe the brown and beige vs. the black color is having an effect!  (Maybe!  Or maybe not, since you can't see the cans when you're wearing them.)

And yet, despite stuff like this, we all make comparisons against cans we've heard before but not longer own, or never owned, etc.  I do it.  It seems necessary.  It feels reasonable.  I made a bunch of comparisons between the Grado RS2e's and the SR225e's, despite the fact that I had only auditioned the 225's in a Stereo store for 2 hours a week before.

And I still think there was something objectively true in this.  Certain parts of certain songs were physically painful on the 225's (upper treble) which didn't stand out much at all on the 2e's, and so on.  That seems to be more than just subjective.  But then, on some days our ears and hearing is different than on others, depending on how much sleep we got, whether we are hungry or not, stressed or not, happy or not, etc.  So who knows!

In any case, I will be interested to see if a consensus develops here in regards to SE vs. beige.  Unfortunately, I only own the 595's, so my comparison will be between that and the 598SE's.

All very good points and I completely agree.  There are so many factors that affect not only our hearing but our perceptions at any given moment.  For example, the power of suggestion.  The fact that I'm posting about distinct differences in sound between the beige 598s and black SE's, may affect some reading my posts, to hear similar things.  I hope it doesn't, but the power of suggestion is a real thing.

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #182 of 379
LazyListener,

Great posts and great info!

I totally agree that making these kinds of mental notes on the sound of cans is pretty objective. Or objective enough to be valid for a given person, anyway!

My SE's now have about ten hours on them and they have indeed opened up and the bass has improved, but they still fall short of my 595's! It's like they took the 595's and modded the foam in front of the drivers to take out more upper mids--particularly the upper part of female vocals, thus making the bass seem louder by comparison. The 595's sound louder and clearer to me. I feel the need to nudge up the volume on the SE's. So it's trivially easy for me to tell which ones I'm listening to in a blind test.

I don't notice any annoying sibilance and to me it's less "bright" than the 595's, overall, and less detailed and natural and open.

That said, the 598SE's have a very similar sound profile and character to the 595's to my ears.

As for replacement pads, it looks like 595 pads are exactly the same as 598SE pads.

So, I think I'm probably going to return these to Amazon.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #183 of 379
LazyListener,

I totally agree that making these kinds of mental notes on the sound of cans is pretty objective. Or objective enough to be valid for a given person, anyway!

My SE's now have about ten hours on them and they have indeed opened up and the bass has improved, but they still fall short of my 595's! It's like they took the 595's and modded the foam in front of the drivers to take out more upper mids--particularly the upper part of female vocals, thus making the bass seem louder by comparison. The 595's sound louder and clearer to me. I feel the need to nudge up the volume on the SE's. So it's trivially easy for me to tell which ones I'm listening to in a blind test.

I don't notice any annoying sibilance and to me it's less "bright" than the 595's, overall, and less detailed and natural and open.

That said, the 598SE's have a very similar sound profile and character to the 595's to my ears.

As for replacement pads, it looks like 595 pads are exactly the same as 598SE pads.

I've A/B'ed 598 against 595 once briefly. 598 outclassed 595 in every aspects. 
I would recommend you to burn-in for at least 150 hrs. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #184 of 379

What source did you use when you directly compared 598 to 595?

I noticed with the beige 598, that they sounded better out of my iPhone 6 than my Fiio E10K -- slightly more detailed, more noticeable bass, and better soundstage and sound localization.  However, the Q701 I'm trying sounds much better out of the E10K than out of the iPhone -- vastly more expansive soundstage, background vocals and instruments stand our more.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #185 of 379
LazyListener,

I can easily imagine that 150 hrs of burn-in would improve things like spatiousness, soundstage, imaging, tightness, etc. But I do not believe nor has it ever been my experience that the basic frequency response of a headphone changes much, if at all, during burn-in.

And this is the problem. I'm sure that for many others the FR differences between the 595 and 598 would push them towards the 598. But for me, it's the opposite.

There is no way that any amount of burn in would bring these cans to where they would "outclass" my 595's. Heck, I'd be surprised if they would get to the point of merely equaling them. Seriously.

So maybe this is another pointer that the SE's are inferior sonically? Maybe I would feel differently if I had gotten the beige ones! Or maybe not. I'm just speculating. I'll be interested to see how others feel about the SE vs beige.

In any case, thanks for the advice but I'm just not willing to put 150 hours on these.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #186 of 379

What source did you use when you directly compared 598 to 595?

I noticed with the beige 598, that they sounded better out of my iPhone 6 than my Fiio E10K -- slightly more detailed, more noticeable bass, and better soundstage and sound localization.  However, the Q701 I'm trying sounds much better out of the E10K than out of the iPhone -- vastly more expansive soundstage, background vocals and instruments stand our more.

Maybe this wasn't directed at me but for tge record I A/B'd the 595's and 598's exclusively with my iPhone 5S unamped, since that is the main reason I bought and the main use for my 595's. They are efficient enough and are easy enough to drive that the iPhone can drive them.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #187 of 379
Maybe this wasn't directed at me but for tge record I A/B'd the 595's and 598's exclusively with my iPhone 5S unamped, since that is the main reason I bought and the main use for my 595's. They are efficient enough and are easy enough to drive that the iPhone can drive them.

Actually, I was hoping you'd chime in on that as well.  Glad you did.

I'm also looking primarily for a headphone that will sound great with my iPhone 6 and the beige 598s sure did.  Excellent match!

Still hoping the SE's break in to the same sonic level as the beige ones.  Fingers crossed.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #188 of 379
I've only used the 598SE for maybe 3-4 hours at most and I love these so much! Well, they are my first pair of "higher end" headphones; coming from Siberia V2 and Vsonic VSD3S. Listening to Adele sounds awesome!

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #189 of 379
Talking about burn in, all the senn 5xx series cans I have owned are random when it comes to how much burn in they needed to sound their best. My 595 was fine out of the bix, my 558 was harsh, my 518 was fine, and my 555 was thin and shrill as hell and sounded damaged with lots of reverb but it ended up sounding warm and smooth after about 150 hours of use

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #190 of 379
  I just got mine, they fail authentification ;/ I sent Sennheiser an email.

Yup, my friends' Sennheisers came in and both failed the authentication check. I doubt they're fake though, looking at /r/headphone's recent guide about legit checking the hd 598s, both pairs meet the criteria. 

Is Amazon an authorized Sennheiser dealer does anyone know for sure?

Hi guys,

The HD 598 SE is a product exclusively sold by Amazon and hence only Amazon can purchase this headphone model from Sennheiser. If you purchased your HD 598 SE directly from Amazon (ie: the product was sold and shipped by Amazon directly) then you have a genuine Sennheiser product.

NOTE: Please be aware that since the HD 598 SE is exclusive to Amazon this model has not yet been added to the Sennheiser Product Authenticity Portal (http://qr-sennheiser.com/) and so authenticity cannot be checked in this manner at this time. 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Dec 3, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #191 of 379

Hi guys,

The HD 598 SE is a product exclusively sold by Amazon and hence only Amazon can purchase this headphone model from Sennheiser. If you purchased your HD 598 SE directly from Amazon (ie: the product was sold and shipped by Amazon directly) then you have a genuine Sennheiser product.

NOTE: Please be aware that since the HD 598 SE is exclusive to Amazon this model has not yet been added to the Sennheiser Product Authenticity Portal (http://qr-sennheiser.com/) and so authenticity cannot be checked in this manner at this time. 

My HD 598SE passed authentication at Sennheiser's site, as did others.  So, apparently they can be authenticated at that website.  It's just that some have passed, while others have failed.  I have no doubts that all units sold by Amazon.com are authentic.

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #193 of 379
  Strange..when checking on my order at Amazon ca...it says that I should be receiving my package today...and ...it hasn't shipped yet.  Hmmmmm

have you tried pressing Track Package? It should give you a tracking number and it should work with CanadaPost, UPS, or some other carrier depending on the type of shipping you chose.

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #194 of 379
  Strange..when checking on my order at Amazon ca...it says that I should be receiving my package today...and ...it hasn't shipped yet.  Hmmmmm

Are you a Prime member?  If they were promised to arrive today when you placed the order, I would go by that and ignore the "not yet shipped" part.  If they don't arrive when promised, contact Amazon right away and politely complain.  They tend to extend your Prime membership for free by one month for shipments that don't arrive when promised.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #195 of 379

Are you a Prime member?  If they were promised to arrive today when you placed the order, I would go by that and ignore the "not yet shipped" part.  If they don't arrive when promised, contact Amazon right away and politely complain.  They tend to extend your Prime membership for free by one month for shipments that don't arrive when promised.

I'm not a prime member. I don't think they will arrive today as it's already after five. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back