Meet the HD 598 Special Edition
Nov 1, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #62 of 379
Well I, for one, will not be one to "upgrade" to the newer HD 598s.  The original just match my car's interior too well...

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #64 of 379
If they are sonically the same then I can see some great opportunity for A/B comparisons coming up.

Plenty of amps with 2 headphone outputs. Both plugged in, same tunes, same volume etc.

"Try these plain black looking cans"

"Now try these flash premium looking beige ones"

"Which one sounds way better than the other?"

and the reverse

"Try these pro black ones"

"Now try these fake wood trim plastic ones"

"Which sound like they're closer to the source?"

Am tipping the answers will strongly favour the way the question was asked :p

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #66 of 379
Love mine :)

The 598's still get recommended heaps, just that there are a few who won't buy them due to the colour scheme.

By offering plain black ones (and making them an S.E. then there'll be an option for everyone :) )

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #67 of 379

Holy hell.

My thoughts exactly when I saw that a 2,5k headphone is built like a 100 dollar one. No wonder the measurements of it look like on the pictures underneath.

Note not only the general catastrophically bad frequency response, CSD and impulse response performance, but also the horrible channel imbalance in the lowest frequencies, I guess it's hard to use an exactly equal amount of hot glue on both drivers, so one is more tightly connected to the baffle and therefore moves less and produces more bass. Nah, we don't use some dampening in the earcup to take care of all those horrible resonances. We'll cover the headband with extremely overpriced ethiopian long-haired sheep leather instead.

That's a $2500 headphone ladies and gentlemen. For that money you can get an HD800.  And a T1. Just in case you get fed up with one of them, you know...

Let's compare that Edition 5 to the engineering masterpiece (relative to the ED5) that is the Beats Solo 2:

You suddenly can't help but feel like Beats are a really good value for money if you want easy to drive closed back headphones. Of course they probably subjectively don't sound as nice if you dig the uneven, schizo-like, mid-bass boosted, mid recessed, super bright performance of the Ultrasone, but it's undeniably a better engineered headphone that performs exactly as whoever designed it intended it to perform. Warm and slightly bass-heavy, but smooth, even and quick.

Ironically, cheaper Ultrasone headphone are actually better than their high end closed back models.

Im baffled, i trully am and i see that are 2 "reviews" (more like impressions) from 2 users that wasted money on them giving 5 stars -.-. That said i hope more situations like this come to light, its unbelievable.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #69 of 379

i hope more situations like this come to light, its unbelievable.

Well it's not a secret that most high end Ultrasones suck.  Tyll's impression of the ED10 is one of the funniest around:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ

Hear for yourself how horrible their tonalities are compared to the source track:
https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #70 of 379

i hope more situations like this come to light, its unbelievable.

Well it's not a secret that most high end Ultrasones suck.  Tyll's impression of the ED10 is one of the funniest around:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ

Hear for yourself how horrible their tonalities are compared to the source track:
https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio

To my ears a well-driven ED10 is not that bad actually. Sort of like a HD800 with all the short-comings exaggerated, but still on the level of TOTL overall.

But ED5 is, meh.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #72 of 379
  What's the difference between the HD 598 and the HD 600?

HD600:  warmer, more bass but not as tight, more low mids and thicker sound, slightly more natural sounding, slightly better detail and resolution, harder to drive and harder to get the best out of, can work well with high output impedance amps,  sounds poor in games and not the best for movies.

HD598: a little bit thinner and brighter, tighter (sort of better damper, overly damped sometimes), slightly bigger and more open soundstage with better frontal image, slightly better imaging. They work for music, games and movies equally well, easier to drive but still need an amp.  Get a HD558 for the best compromise between HD600 and HD558. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #73 of 379
Watch out for Amazon dynamic pricing

Sennheiser 598 Cream was £119 minutes ago when I began composing this post and now jumped up to £140
Sennheiser 598 Sp Ed £199.99
Sennheiser HD650 £229 and now £228
Sennheiser HD600 £249
A $259 beats a $2599?

Surprised you would get sucked in by price as seen you around for few years: it-is-Ultrasone :D

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #74 of 379
Surprised you would get sucked in by price as seen you around for few years: it-is-Ultrasone
biggrin.gif

Never got sucked in by price, just by bad headphones..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back