Meet The FiiO M7: An Exynos 7270-Powered HiFi Music Player
Jun 27, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #316 of 792
Yes there's line out integrated with headphone out. Sound wise compared to a45 not much different. With a45 a bit on warmer side, didnt take serious ab test on both dap, just casual listening. I owned both, but now a45 is sold since i like m7 more

I am still in doubt, you say m7 is a bit warmer, is it still a dynamic player? I like my mids and sparkling trebles.. I cannot decide between a NW-45 or M7, in both cases I want to add the Fiio A3 amp to drive my over ear headphones. I'd really love to hear some more pros and cons on both daps.

Cheers,

Dennis.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #317 of 792
I am still in doubt, you say m7 is a bit warmer, is it still a dynamic player? I like my mids and sparkling trebles.. I cannot decide between a NW-45 or M7, in both cases I want to add the Fiio A3 amp to drive my over ear headphones. I'd really love to hear some more pros and cons on both daps.

Cheers,

Dennis.
Since you will be pairing the Dap with the FiiO A3 amp, the M7 will be the better bet because it has line out.

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #318 of 792

Cheers,

Dennis.

On its own, M7 is fairly good, I haven't noticed any extreme or exaggerated smoothness or a lean sound, it really is a nice dynamic DAP.

Since you're adding A3, you will be hearing a similar result out of the two though, and as @seanwee points out, M7 has a Line out, which means it makes a better overall choice.

I do have my own feelings that in the end you might prefer M7 without A3 though, but anyways, it is more versatile than NW-45 since it has that line out, and if you want to upgrade A3 down the way, all the better for M7, while with NW-45 you do not have a line out at all, so you will have a degradation in sonic quality if using an additional AMP like A3. (At least my quick search on the internet seems to be pointing out that NW-45 does not have a line out)

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #319 of 792

Cheers,

Dennis.
He said the Sony was warmer - not the FiiO. M7 is pretty neutral.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #320 of 792
Hi Brooko, what are the few things that stop m7 from being great? Plus, how would you rate the music reproduction from m7? Am about to shell out 200 dollars and would love to know what i am getting myself into!
I’ll post link to review in next 24 hours. Just finished final photography last night. Just need to post after I get home in about 12 hours.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #321 of 792
I’ll post link to review in next 24 hours. Just finished final photography last night. Just need to post after I get home in about 12 hours.

Thanks a ton. Looking forward to see another of your reviews. I picked up a Fiio F9Pro after going through your review. And its been fantastic. Keep up those factual amazing reviews. Thanks.

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #322 of 792
Jun 28, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #324 of 792
Jun 28, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #325 of 792
Jun 29, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #326 of 792

Read your review and found it interesting. You mention how close it sounds to the N3. Any chance you be will looking at the Shanling M0? To me the M0 and N3 would make a nice comparison being fairly close in price.

I do find it interesting the the M0 was released just after the M7 and is already at 107 pages on this forum vs only 21 pages for the M7. Clearly there is alot more interest in the M0. A dealer not to far from me apparently now has the M7 in stock so when I have the time I might give it a demo. I might wait until I get my M0 in the next 12 days or so and then compare them myself just so I can say I gave Fiio a shot.

Jun 29, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #327 of 792
Read your review and found it interesting. You mention how close it sounds to the N3. Any chance you be will looking at the Shanling M0? To me the M0 and N3 would make a nice comparison being fairly close in price.

I do find it interesting the the M0 was released just after the M7 and is already at 107 pages on this forum vs only 21 pages for the M7. Clearly there is alot more interest in the M0. A dealer not to far from me apparently now has the M7 in stock so when I have the time I might give it a demo. I might wait until I get my M0 in the next 12 days or so and then compare them myself just so I can say I gave Fiio a shot.

Sorry - haven't heard any of the Shanling devices, and I guess the hype for individual devices comes down to the amount of advertising they do, and the social media influencers they use. Personally I didn't know it (M0) existed until you told me now - but I've always been more about avoiding hype and just relying on good old-fashioned volume matched comparisons, and talking about my own experience with features, GUI etc. Will be interested in your thoughts when you compare the two. The M7 took me a while to appreciate its strengths. If FiiO can add a couple of features via fw - then they have a potentially really good DAP. They got most fo the GUI and definitely got the sound right with this one :wink:

Jun 29, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #328 of 792
Sorry - haven't heard any of the Shanling devices, and I guess the hype for individual devices comes down to the amount of advertising they do, and the social media influencers they use. Personally I didn't know it (M0) existed until you told me now - but I've always been more about avoiding hype and just relying on good old-fashioned volume matched comparisons, and talking about my own experience with features, GUI etc. Will be interested in your thoughts when you compare the two. The M7 took me a while to appreciate its strengths. If FiiO can add a couple of features via fw - then they have a potentially really good DAP. They got most fo the GUI and definitely got the sound right with this one :wink:

Appreciate your thoughts, I have heard the N3 and I did like the sound for the most part so the M7 sound wise would be good. As for the hype I don't think it is fair to call it hype as the M0 has been available for a few weeks now and real users are posting solid reviews. Shanling is a small company like Fiio so I doubt their marketing budget is any bigger and Fiio has a much bigger distribution network and the M7 was released earlier and should have higher market penetration. The M7 is readily available in North America now and the reviews I have found are very mixed for the most part. But like you I prefer to make my own comparisons before buying so hopefully in a couple of weeks I will have a definitive answer.

But if the two end up being close the M0 will win based on price,size and twice the power (80 mW vs 40 mW into 32 ohms). I think there is some sour grapes on your part as you are calling interest in the M0 hype when as you have admitted you haven't heard it or any other Shanling DAP's and I have. If you get a chance give the Shanlings a listen as they are on par and maybe slightly better than the Cayin DAP's in my opinion based on demoing both.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #329 of 792
Appreciate your thoughts, I have heard the N3 and I did like the sound for the most part so the M7 sound wise would be good. As for the hype I don't think it is fair to call it hype as the M0 has been available for a few weeks now and real users are posting solid reviews. Shanling is a small company like Fiio so I doubt their marketing budget is any bigger and Fiio has a much bigger distribution network and the M7 was released earlier and should have higher market penetration. The M7 is readily available in North America now and the reviews I have found are very mixed for the most part. But like you I prefer to make my own comparisons before buying so hopefully in a couple of weeks I will have a definitive answer.

But if the two end up being close the M0 will win based on price,size and twice the power (80 mW vs 40 mW into 32 ohms). I think there is some sour grapes on your part as you are calling interest in the M0 hype when as you have admitted you haven't heard it or any other Shanling DAP's and I have. If you get a chance give the Shanlings a listen as they are on par and maybe slightly better than the Cayin DAP's in my opinion based on demoing both.
Funny how the M0 isn't called the M1 2nd gen. They are both similar devices right?

Jun 29, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #330 of 792

Shanlings are well made solid players, I tested the m3s, beautiful player but not my cup of tea, no wow factor for me, too laid back and rolled off highs.
GUI and specs absolutely great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back