Meet The FiiO M7: An Exynos 7270-Powered HiFi Music Player
May 22, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #136 of 792
So far the prices for the M7 look quite high, over $300 AUD.
For the price, I could get the Sony NWA45, Hidiz AP100 or even the Plenue J.
The M3 provided great value as you couldn't get much better for the price. Hell, you could make the same argument for the X1 2nd gen.
However, the M7 seems quite pricey and I wonder what does it offer to compete with other players at its price range?

In My region it priced as 235 USD. Fo this specification the price is extremely high . With same specification Shanling M0 priced as 99 usd, Hidisz Ap80 as 149 USD, Hiby R3 with better specification 200 USD. Don't know what fiio wants to prove. In this thread Fiio official said that this player is going to compete Sony NW-A45. I own a Sony NW-A45 and for 235 USD no one going to pick M7 because it prices same. I think Fiio is missing something, all their products price increased drastically this year. May be they want to collect more money form the market in this year instead providing bang for the bucks in the market. M7 should be priced under 149 USD, otherwise it is hard to pay only for a stylish chassis and Exynos processor.
Whether the M7 is good or bad value will ultimately be decided by how good it sounds. If it sounds really good, then it "might" deserve its $235 price.

It does have stiff competition from the Cayin N3 though which really punches above its price point and its just $150.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #137 of 792
I would go with the M7 everytime over the Sony NW-A45. Its sound quality sucks.

I only got the A35 just because it had LDAC but the M7 has that too so there's no longer a point of getting the Sony.

The NW-A45 and 35 sound exactly the same. The only differences are a poorer display and now it can be used as a usb dac. That's it.

45 on the left and 35 on the right
At least first let the M7 reviews out then comparison would be valid. For 200 USD Hiby R3 is the real deal.

May 23, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #138 of 792
At least first let the M7 reviews out then comparison would be valid. For 200 USD Hiby R3 is the real deal.
I doubt the M7 would only be on smartphone level (s8, p10, etc) sound quality. Because honestly, that's how bad the NW-A35/45 are.

The HiBy R3 is worse overall compared to the N3. Sound quality is poorer, battery life is shorter, output power is lower, etc. I'd only recommend that you get it if you need a tidal or DLNA streaming device. You can't install other apps btw so no Spotify.

May 23, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #139 of 792
I doubt the M7 would only be on smartphone level (s8, p10, etc) sound quality. Because honestly, that's how bad the NW-A35/45 are.

The HiBy R3 is worse overall compared to the N3. Sound quality is poorer, battery life is shorter, output power is lower, etc. I'd only recommend that you get it if you need a tidal or DLNA streaming device. You can't install other apps btw so no Spotify.
Sorry for going off topic here, but what's wrong with the NW A45? You're the second person I've heard saying that the sound quality is bad.

May 23, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #140 of 792

How do you know about the Hiby R3? We have not received the Kickstarter orders yet. Stop spreading misinformation.
The Chinese reviews you’ve read are from a Chinese version of the R3, different firmware.

May 23, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #141 of 792
How do you know about the Hiby R3? We have not received the Kickstarter orders yet. Stop spreading misinformation.
The Chinese reviews you’ve read are from a Chinese version of the R3, different firmware.
Im basing it off reputable review sites like headphonics and headphonia.

May 23, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #142 of 792
Sorry for going off topic here, but what's wrong with the NW A45? You're the second person I've heard saying that the sound quality is bad.
Theres nothing "wrong" about the NW-A45/35. It's just not worth the money.

When we get a DAP, we're looking for better sound quality. The NW-A35/45 has failed in that department. It's not bad by any means but it is just not worth the money. Think of it as spending extra for something that performs the same.

May 23, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #143 of 792
Theres nothing "wrong" about the NW-A45/35. It's just not worth the money.

When we get a DAP, we're looking for better sound quality. The NW-A35/45 has failed in that department. It's not bad by any means but it is just not worth the money. Think of it as spending extra for something that performs the same.
Ah, gotcha.
I guess for the price you pay you'll want to notice a difference from your phone .

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #146 of 792
Then what they said in these 2 reviews is the opposite of your saying.
They praise the R3.
Yes they do praise the R3 but in a head to head comparison the N3 sounds better.

May 23, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #148 of 792
Yes they do praise the R3 but in a head to head comparison the N3 sounds better.

I didn't see any comparisons to the N3 in the Headfonics review of the R3, but in the Headfonia review I did see this, which to me doesn't seem to be them saying the N3 is flat out better sounding than the R3, seems more like a preference thing.

The Cayin N3 is selling for $150USD on Amazon and that means it’s the cheapest of the DAPs used in this comparison. The Cayin N3 has a very good price-quality ratio and the N3 scores high when it comes to technicalities. The User Interface compared to the Hiby R3 is ancient, there’s no touch screen, a small screen and it’s just not as easy and nice to work with. In the looks department they couldn’t be any further apart as well. Sound wise the N3 is noisier and it isn’t as clean sounding. The N3 is more clear sounding than the Hiby R3 however. The upper mids and the treble section sound more forward on the N3 and it’s especially noticeable in the vocal area. The Hiby R3 has a warmer and smoother feel to it. Body-wise the R3 shows bigger bass and mids as well and music is softer on the ear. The R3 sounds more musical and fuller but also a little richer to me, even though that isn’t clearly audible as it’s got that smooth and thicker layer over it. If you prefer clarity, sharpness and precision, the N3 will probably be more to your liking.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #149 of 792
I didn't see any comparisons to the N3 in the Headfonics review of the R3, but in the Headfonia review I did see this, which to me doesn't seem to be them saying the N3 is flat out better sounding than the R3, seems more like a preference thing.

The Cayin N3 is selling for $150USD on Amazon and that means it’s the cheapest of the DAPs used in this comparison. The Cayin N3 has a very good price-quality ratio and the N3 scores high when it comes to technicalities. The User Interface compared to the Hiby R3 is ancient, there’s no touch screen, a small screen and it’s just not as easy and nice to work with. In the looks department they couldn’t be any further apart as well. Sound wise the N3 is noisier and it isn’t as clean sounding. The N3 is more clear sounding than the Hiby R3 however. The upper mids and the treble section sound more forward on the N3 and it’s especially noticeable in the vocal area. The Hiby R3 has a warmer and smoother feel to it. Body-wise the R3 shows bigger bass and mids as well and music is softer on the ear. The R3 sounds more musical and fuller but also a little richer to me, even though that isn’t clearly audible as it’s got that smooth and thicker layer over it. If you prefer clarity, sharpness and precision, the N3 will probably be more to your liking.
That's just a nice way of putting it.

Having heard cheap to expensive products, going up product tiers will get you more clarity, sharpness and precision. In short, the N3 has a higher tier sound.

May 23, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #150 of 792
That's just a nice way of putting it.

Having heard cheap to expensive products, going up product tiers will get you more clarity, sharpness and precision. In short, the N3 has a higher tier sound.

I could be wrong, but it really just sounds like you're interpreting what they said in the way that it matches what you want to hear, especially when you say, "That's just a nice way of putting it." I see it as them saying the two devices sound different and some people will prefer one while some people will prefer the other.

On top of the very positive reviews from Headfonics and Headfonia, Hawaiibadboy has also been very positive on the R3, comparing the sound favorably to the AP200 in one of the videos he posted. While the AP200 definitely has its issues, I thought it sounded great, and if the R3 sounds comparable to an AP200 but without all the other issues, I'm all for it. I know HBB has reviews the N3 and is currently working on the R3 and has had it for a while, this is his comment when someone asked about the N3 vs R3.

I think the sonic differences would be minor and maybe a reflection of the head gear used more than the DAP's.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...rother-to-the-r6.872288/page-19#post-14114444

I personally don't know either way, since I haven't listened to either an N3 or R3, but right now I'll base my opinion of it off of what people who have listened to both, and from everything I've read and seen, it sounds like between the N3 and R3 it's more of a toss up depending on what you prefer, not, "This one sounds better hands down", unless that's just the sound you prefer based on the comparisons, which seems to be your case.

Heck, even just based on the review on Headfonics, they have the Tonality rating higher on the R3 than the N3. If what you're saying is right that they think the N3 sounds better, then I assume the N3 would be rated higher there, but they're pretty much neck and neck with the slight lead going to the R3.

I'm not saying you're wrong, as to you the N3 may indeed sound better based on the sound you prefer, I'm just saying that the people who have heard both don't seem to be saying the N3 flat out sounds better than the R3.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back