MEET IMPRESSIONS AND PICTURES - 2010 CanJam Chicago
Jun 5, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #31 of 549
Fantastic. Thanks for the photos. What are they going to replace the foam with on the LCD-2's. I just wrote Alex an email about it.
m

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #32 of 549
First of all, thank to all organizers, everything was great. I really liked Audez'e LCD-2s but I think the most impressive item and the hit of the meet was prototype JH-3A with universal JH16s. JH-3A has basically all the electronics part of the IEMs inside and in better quality and it serves as a DAC and an amp as well. The only downside is you cannot decouple them from each other, but I don't see any reason to do so with that high sound quality. Frankly, I did not think this much sound quality can be obtained with a portable device. I wish I had enough funds to put a pre-order on them :frowning2:...

I am a bit biased towards Bottlehead DIY amps, having built a SEX amp myself, so I also recommend you to go to summit-fi room to check the Crack amp stock and upgraded. It is really cheap, but the sound is great.

I have taken a few pictures myself, I will post them as soon as possible, but I need to go right now...

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #33 of 549

Quote:
Fantastic. Thanks for the photos. What are they going to replace the foam with on the LCD-2's. I just wrote Alex an email about it.
m

Better foam
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #34 of 549
@Skylab I am so jealous of your son :frowning2:

Thanks for the pics :)

I have read similar things about T50p. A little bit tilted to the mid/treble. Was thinking of getting them soon they hit the market, but now I think it is better to wait for more impressions and reviews.

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #36 of 549
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS  

@Skylab I am so jealous of your son :frowning2:

Thanks for the pics :)

I have read similar things about T50p. A little bit tilted to the mid/
treble. Was thinking of getting them soon they hit the market, but
now I think it is better to wait for more impressions and reviews.

---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks KLS :)

While the gear I used was unfamiliar to me, they did sound a bit tipped up on top. Hopefully it won't be so much in my own portable rig.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils  

similar to what?  I looked through twice and didn't see any
impressions of the T50p yet...

My breif ones were in the picture caption :)

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #37 of 549

Quote:
I posted a few more pics, and a few captions.  I will take more tomorrow - had a time constraint today unfortunately.

I should add - the meet was SUPER well organized, and great fun!

The Rudistor cans sounded REALLY good to me.  Smoother than Grados.  Nice detail.  I hate Grado pads, though, and that is what was on these - so will be interested to know what the final pads are like.  They showed a lot of promise, though!

The Pinnacle also sounded great in my brief audition - really good with the T1 - far better than a few other amps I heard driving the T1.

Rob! How did I miss you?
I agree, the Rudistor cans & amps were really impressive. In fact, everything sounded good today.

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #39 of 549
Thanks Skylab for the wonderful pics!

Those Rudistor Chroma MD-1 headphones are definitely of Grado origin. Check the plug going into the amp.

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #40 of 549
Glad to see the wa2 get some love after the wa6se seemed to steal its spotlight.

I want some listening impressions and pictures of Kevin Gilmores rigs!

Also, any interesting new dacs floating around?

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #42 of 549
Hi Everybody,

I had a great day at CanJam today.  Thanks to all the people who organized it and everybody who contributed to it.  There seemed to be a greater showing of vendors as opposed to individual members, so I felt the presence of headphones outside of the well known stuff (e.g. HD800, K701) was small.  I really wanted to hear some of the more esoteric headphones like the 2003 DT880, DT48, etc.

Here are my opinions of the various headphones.

Ones I liked the best.

Beyer T1- Beyer did a good job of getting the treble and bass right.  There is enough treble sparkle that everything sounds detailed and clear, but not so much that your ears start hurting.  The bass quantity is nice (there is a good amount of punch), but it’s definitely not a basshead can.  The T1 has a lot of clarity without sounding sterile.

JH Audio 3X?  The one with the DSP+Amp -  This was just an incredible sounding IEM.  The mids and the treble are just astonishing.  The treble is smooth but it doesn’t sound muted, rolled off, or anything of the sort.  The bass is adjustable and this is a great thing.  Since the mids and trebles are so great, you can adjust the bass (I had to turn it down) to your liking.  Definitely better than a lot of full sized cans.

Westone ES5X – I liked this a lot.  If I had to describe this in one word, I would use clarity.  It has a lot of clarity – much more than any other Westone, including the ES3X.  Good treble presence and extension.  The bass is pretty neutral (IMO, not much impact) and I had to EQ it up a bit to my liking.

Audeze LCD2 – The bass on this is great.  Great punch, extension, with great control and quality.  I found the treble to be a tiny bit quieter than I would like but I’ll listen more tomorrow.  It’s a great sounding headphone!  I actually found them to be fairly comfortable.  I was also able to drive them from a Mini3!

Hippo VB – This is a really inexpensive IEM with ports for tuning the bass.  I thought it had a really nice sound, the fit was decent, and you have everything from neutralish (minimum bass port) to bass head (maximum bass port). 

Biggest disappointments:

Beyer T50P – I don’t know where to begin.  More than anything, it doesn’t sound right.  Everything sounds “tinny” and weird.  Ever heard a nasal saxophone?  I can’t recommend this to anybody.  I’ll bet some people who preordered are going to be very unhappy. 

Sensaphonics (3X?) -  I found it to be a really dull sounding IEM.

Grado PS1000 - TERRIBLE ergonomics and I won't say what I'm thinking about what you get in terms of sonic improvements from the typical "Grado sound" as you move up with Grado line.

The Rest:

HD800 – Not enough bass impact, a little too much treble.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great sounding headphone but there’s just too much energy in at the top for my liking.

HE5 – I did not like the bass presentation and there was a little too much energy at the top.  Overall though, it sounds good.

HE6 – This sounded like a refinement of the HE5 and so the treble was not as hot.  It was a nice sounding headphone but I felt they money for is ($1300?) could be better spent elsewhere (JH3X, T1, etc). 

Radius DDM – Good sound with a comically bad fit.  What were they thinking?

JH16 – Too much bass for my liking.

JH13 – Great bass quantity and a fantastic sounding IEM overall.

I listened to many other headphones (e.g. HD800) that are covered extensively on Head-Fi so I won’t review them.

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #45 of 549
Overall for me the show stopper was the JH-3A it was again IMHO the best sounding and most amazing product I heard this is along with the Cypher labs digital transport will transform portable audio forever and put the sound of great home rigs in your pocket!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back