Meelec M6 -- Awful (Update: Not So Awful)
May 15, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #31 of 37
If they sound like they lack bass they it's probably and most definitely a fit problem.  Even with a less than perfect seal, the M6's should be anything but bass lacking;  honestly its bass is on the border of being too much and slightly muddy.  But then again, they're 15-20 bucks... can't expect miracles.

May 15, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #32 of 37
Bought them last week, received them on Thursday, wore them to work in my city down a few blocks, I agree about the fit, but even still..................horrible. Glad I spent next to nothing on them.

They were so bad I literally spent hours reading this forum on customs, went yesterday morning to get custom molds done, and now have to choose either ACS which is local or 1964 which is not local for custom IEM's.............

May 15, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #33 of 37

Quote:
Bought them last week, received them on Thursday, wore them to work in my city down a few blocks, I agree about the fit, but even still..................horrible. Glad I spent next to nothing on them.

They were so bad I literally spent hours reading this forum on customs, went yesterday morning to get custom molds done, and now have to choose either ACS which is local or 1964 which is not local for custom IEM's.............

They aren't horrible.  They are actually really good for the price (granted you can get a proper seal with them).  And you need to let them burn in.  If you compare them to customs or TF10s or something like that, then you're comparing the wrong headphones... 

May 15, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #34 of 37
I'm not comparing them to anything other than how they sounded while I was walking, I sat in my car and did my best to get them to sit properly before I got out, the fit was never sealed, I enjoyed them in the house listening to jazz while not moving but for what I purchased them for they failed, I doubt I'll have that problem with custom's is all I'm saying, but hey I could be wrong.....

May 16, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #35 of 37

Quote:
I'm not comparing them to anything other than how they sounded while I was walking, I sat in my car and did my best to get them to sit properly before I got out, the fit was never sealed, I enjoyed them in the house listening to jazz while not moving but for what I purchased them for they failed, I doubt I'll have that problem with custom's is all I'm saying, but hey I could be wrong.....

Don't say the headphones sound bad if you can't get a bad fit...  I was fine with them walking, you just need to find the right tips and right seal. 

May 16, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #36 of 37
The M6 is hard to fit.  The only tips that worked for me were Sony Hybrids. 

Once I had them fit, I found them to have a ton of bass, recessed mids and strong highs... the classic crowd-pleasing V-shaped sound signature that I generally dislike.  Some folks love these IEMs, and they are very clear for their (discounted) price.  I'm just very spoiled at this point.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #37 of 37
Hi everyone - I return over three years later to recant my criticism on the (first generation) Meelec M6. After yet another pair of M9s broke on me, I decided to risk it and try the M6 again. I must have not tried very hard the first time because this time they fit perfectly in my ear, and the unmistakable Meelec v-shape sound is clear as day.

The point of failure on my M9's has always been the wire near each earbud. Since I wear the wire over the ear, that area of the wire had hardened into that shape and become brittle. The outside shielding eventually broke, but the sound still worked for over a month. Finally, the right earbud started to fail intermittently. I'd bought around 4 pairs of M9s in the past four years and it looks like Meelec has grown considerably in that time. Seeing as the M6s are supposed to be worn over the ear, I assume they're not as susceptible to the cable-breaking issue on the M9s. I noticed that microphonics are a little bit more prevalent than on the M9s, but still hardly noticeable. I love that the shape of these buds allow me to lay my head on the side with no problems.

Just wanted to say that the first-gen M6 at $13 shipped (bulk packaging from eBay) is still one of the best deals for cheap IEMs you can find today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back