Meelec A151 vs Westone 1
Sep 15, 2011 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

PacoTaco9001

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, sorry to make a new thread about "which iems should i get," but I wasn't getting much assistance from the thread regarding that subject..

But anyway I'll just keep this short: Are there really any major differences between the Westone 1 and the Meelec A151? From what I've read, the A151's seem to be a little bass light for some, but I haven't heard that for the Westone 1's. And that's really the only major difference that I've seen between the two. The type of music that I listen to is mainly alternative rock and jazz. With band like The Beatles, Radiohead and Queen. My source would be a 4th gen ipod touch.

So I guess my main question is: Do you think that the difference between these two headphones is worth $30? The A151 is $50 at sears ATM and the Westones are $84 from amazon.

Sep 15, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 17
Hello! :D And yes I have read joker's thread, but from his review, it sounds like he has feels the bass on the A151 is adequate, while he doesn't really say much about the Westone 1's bass response. And while I'm not expecting much, since they are single armatures, I would like there to be a noticeable amount.

Currently, I've been listening to the Meelectronics M6, which I've enjoyed quite a bit, but I am looking for clarity in my music since the music I enjoy is complex and has a lot going on.The M6 have very good bass, but I would like it if there was a bit less.

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
Hello! :D And yes I have read joker's thread, but from his review, it sounds like he has feels the bass on the A151 is adequate, while he doesn't really say much about the Westone 1's bass response. And while I'm not expecting much, since they are single armatures, I would like there to be a noticeable amount.

Currently, I've been listening to the Meelectronics M6, which I've enjoyed quite a bit, but I am looking for clarity in my music since the music I enjoy is complex and has a lot going on.The M6 have very good bass, but I would like it if there was a bit less.

the A151, though it is a Meelectronic headphone, will sound absolutely nothing like the M6. If you are looking for a more comparable upgrade in meelec's lineup look at the cc51.

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
the A151, though it is a Meelectronic headphone, will sound absolutely nothing like the M6. If you are looking for a more comparable upgrade in meelec's lineup look at the cc51.

Hello jaqueh,

The 151s are not good?  The cc51s are better?  Sorry, I don't own any MEEs, so just curious, becasue they have lots to choose from..

Thanks

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:

I've read about the cc51, but I think Id like to try an armature based earphone instead of dynamic so I can really hear the difference between the two types of drivers. 
Thats also a little bit of the reason why I'm not going to try and buy a more expensive iem, until i know which driver I'm more fond of.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
Hello jaqueh,

The 151s are not good?  The cc51s are better?  Sorry, I don't own any MEEs, so just curious, becasue they have lots to choose from..

Thanks

i havent tried the a151, but i have tried a lot of BAs, and i just know that the a151 and cc51s are just different headphones. the cc51 are just recessed, but handle all the frequencies quite well.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
I've read about the cc51, but I think Id like to try an armature based earphone instead of dynamic so I can really hear the difference between the two types of drivers. 
Thats also a little bit of the reason why I'm not going to try and buy a more expensive iem, until i know which driver I'm more fond of.

yea they're quite different, from what i've heard (i don't own the a151) that they are one of the best deals you can find on such an inexpensive BA. Honestly though, if you can find one of etymonic's HF's for around $70 used, you should get those instead, they really are different and amazing.

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 17
I've thought about the Etymotic HF2's, which I could extend my budget to, but something about the deep insertion really puts me off.. Also, Idk what it is.. but I REALLY like the design of over ear specific iems like the westone's. While I could wear the HF2's over ear, I feel as I'd be more comfortable with and over ear specific headphone.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 17
they come with regular olives which i think work quite well, but yes the deep insertion is something i personally will never understand and find very uncomfortable

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #12 of 17
Ok, I think I've decided that I'm going to get the Westone 1's. Thanks everyone for the help. I just seem to like more things about them then what I like about the A151, plus I want to try different brands so yea :)

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Ok, I think I've decided that I'm going to get the Westone 1's. Thanks everyone for the help. I just seem to like more things about them then what I like about the A151, plus I want to try different brands so yea :)

...Just Kidding, Newegg had the A151 on sale for $40 and thats half the price of the Westone's and 2/3 the price of the A151's on amazon.... So I couldn't help myself and ordered those instead!

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
Lol...Nice....Congratz...The Westone 1's are on sale right now via e-mail for $39.99...I don't own Westone so don't know if that's a good deal...I deleted it!!!

Cheers on your purchase!!!!!

wait, whaaaaaat? explain! where?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back