Mee Audio X7 Plus Bluetooth Headphones Review
Feb 13, 2016 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

red71rum

100+ Head-Fier

I have been intrigued by the idea of Bluetooth headphones for the gym and office use for some time. I had seen users wearing Jaybird, Beats, and other brands at the gym. My problem with Beats is that they are overpriced and with exaggerated bass. I also was looking for headphones that had the aptX and AAC HD, which allows for supposed cd quality sound when I am listening to my flac or 320kbps encoded mp3 music.  Enter the Mee Audio X7 plus. My wife recently went to CES and went to the Mee audio booth and told me about the X7 Plus Bluetooth wireless headphones. I contacted Mee Audio and they sent me these X7 Plus for review.

Design
After charging the headphones, I went ahead and tried the different tips that were available. It seems that the best fit for me was the medium tip. The headphones fit a happy medium where some IEMS(in ear monitors) need to be inserted deeply into the ear canal to get a decent fit. The X7 Plus uses some of the body of the headphone to also fit inside the ear to help block out ambient noise. This might also be welcome to some who do not like the feeling of pressure with deeply inserted headphones. These headphones also utilize memory wire to keep the headphones securely in your ears. For controls the X7 Plus has a 3 button remote built in on the wire towards the right ear with 3 easy to manipulate rubberized buttons. The center button is used to turn on, pair, play and pause music. The other two buttons advance music, fast forward and rewind. Short presses of these buttons also lower and raise volume. I want to note that I do not listen to my music at loud volume, but these headphones could go loud enough, that is if you want hearing damage. There is a rubberized cinch to tighten the headphones for a tighter fit. For charging, there is a supplied micro usb cable that connects to the side of the controls to charge the X7 plus for 8 hours of playback. There is also a circular zippered case to protect the headphones when they are not in use.
Here is what they look like when worn:

Here are are the inline controls:

Here is the included case:                                     Another shot of the headphones:

Apple and Android
My main phone is a LG G3 which I have had for over a year. I have gone back and forth between Android and Iphone over the years, I am not a fan of Itunes. Anyway, I found that when starting and listening to the first track after connecting each time, that there is almost 10 second timeframe where the beginning of the first track stutters. On the my work Iphone 6 there is no hesitation\stuttering, the track plays clearly. Now this might not be a condemnation of Android, but rather my LG G3 seems to not have the best Bluetooth capabilities.

At the gym
I next auditioned the X7 plus at my local gym where I go several times a week. I wanted to see if they could stay in while ding chin-ups, bench press, running and so on. The X7’s were used during all my workouts and they stayed in and required minimal reseating. I find nothing more irritating than having my headphones pop out during a set. I found that even while perspiring on the elliptical trainer or doing planks that the X7’s kept chugging along and I had only the occasional dropout, but that is to be expected when in an environment with so much interference from other devices. I often also forgot my phone and walked away, but the signal sometimes held past 40 feet away. I mostly had my phone on a shelf or near me while working out.

At Work
Upon first listening to them at my office, I noticed that they had a decent soundstage, the instruments had good separation, with crisp highs. For a change of pace, I listened to a best of Mozart compilation and the headphones accurately played back the tracks and they did not sound congested but rather very pleasant. I changed pace and moved to Megadeth’s Dystopia and the album sounded great, there was no harshness to the highs. I am not a bass head by any means but the bass and mid bass were very good without being overwhelming. Overall the sound was not fatiguing and I could listen to them for some time. My experience with the X7 plus at work was great. Despite right next to my server room I experience no dropouts and enjoyed not being held to one spot as I worked on building computers and so on.
Call Quality
I normally do not use headphones to take calls, but these did a decent job. The caller’s voice sounded clear and their voice sounded natural to me without my having to strain to hear what they were saying. You can also use the multipoint functionality so you can manage call and media from two different devices at the same time.
Conclusion
For $99, the Mee Audio X7 Plus are a great alternative to the other wireless headphones on the market. They sound great, have decent ambient sound blocking capabilities without being uncomfortable, and have good range without lots of signal dropouts. Mee Audio also has great customer service and is very receptive to any problems you might have.

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 20
Do you have any experience with other BT IEM to compare sound quality?
I own the Fidue A73 hybrid driver. They are excellent the but corded IEM can be a disadvantage. I'm looking for BT IEM. That has good SQ. I iwn an iPhone so the the lack of Aptx codec maybe issue

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 20
Well the only other BT kind of iem that I have is the Beats Powerbeats 2, which are overly bass heavy and do not isolate as well as the x7 plus. It is hard for any Bluetooth headphone/iem to meet ones expectations of corded iems. I think the X7 plus does an admirable job, and I like their sound.

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 20
Well the only other BT kind of iem that I have is the Beats Powerbeats 2, which are overly bass heavy and do not isolate as well as the x7 plus. It is hard for any Bluetooth headphone/iem to meet ones expectations of corded items. I think the X7 plus does an admirable job, and I like their sound.

Thank you. My concern is the BT IEM will not be close to my A73. Every time I listen to them I'm so impressed.

May 6, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 20
  nealh you've found somwthing?

No.  I decided to pre-order the Trinity Sabre (and LOL the Master 4) and use the BT lanyard they will have for ordering in about 6 weeks.  I figured getting an IEM from Trinity with detachable cable and BT lanyard made more sense than buying other products where the sound signature but be not be very good.

The prototype on the Sabre has gotten nice reviews and I will have the option of wired and BT this way. Best of both worlds.  I could not resist the Sabre( dual dynamic drive in push-pull NO BA) preorder price. I was just going to wait for the Master 4 dual dynamic drive in push-pull configuration with dual BA, but got pulled in by the reviews on the Sabre and it will be available sooner so I get new toy.

I figure the Master 4 will be even better and I can always sell the Sabre if I do not wish to keep it( how many IEM can I listen too??) 

May 6, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 20

No.  I decided to pre-order the Trinity Sabre (and LOL the Master 4) and use the BT lanyard they will have for ordering in about 6 weeks.  I figured getting an IEM from Trinity with detachable cable and BT lanyard made more sense than buying other products where the sound signature but be not be very good.

The prototype on the Sabre has gotten nice reviews and I will have the option of wired and BT this way. Best of both worlds.  I could not resist the Sabre( dual dynamic drive in push-pull NO BA) preorder price. I was just going to wait for the Master 4 dual dynamic drive in push-pull configuration with dual BA, but got pulled in by the reviews on the Sabre and it will be available sooner so I get new toy.

I figure the Master 4 will be even better and I can always sell the Sabre if I do not wish to keep it( how many IEM can I listen too??) 

and what about the Trinity atlas? do you know something about B&w, B&O , sennheiser? wireless? what do you meen when you say BT lanyard sorry my english is not very fluent!

May 6, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 20
and what about the Trinity atlas? do you know something about B&w, B&O , sennheiser? wireless? what do you meen when you say BT lanyard sorry my english is not very fluent!

Oh. Sorry. Trinity audio is making a Bluetooth lanyard that can be connected via detachable cable to their IEM(Sabre, Master series and I think Atlas)
They also will be producing a Bluetooth IEM- Phantom Air.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/796729/trinity-phantom-series-new-thread-worlds-first-push-pull-hybrid-iem/1200#post_12561392

https://trinityaudioengineering.com/

May 6, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 20
Oh. Sorry. Trinity audio is making a Bluetooth lanyard that can be connected via detachable cable to their IEM(Sabre, Master series and I think Atlas)

But what about the brands I've mentioned before you think they are overpriced?

And about those brands I've mentioned before? You think they're overpriced? Trinity is already producing or you stil have to wait ?
They also will be producing a Bluetooth IEM- Phantom Air.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/796729/trinity-phantom-series-new-thread-worlds-first-push-pull-hybrid-iem/1200#post_12561392

https://trinityaudioengineering.com/

May 6, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #11 of 20
And about those brands I've mentioned before? You think they're overpriced? Trinity is already producing or you stil have to wait ?

I only own the Fide A73.  I can't speak for the brands you mentioned and can't say if there overpriced, I am not that knowledgable.  

Bob from Trinity Audio enlists several Head-fi users to help get feedback and tweak his IEMs. I found their reviews and comments on the A73 crucial in making my purchase decision.  I choose the A73 based on their thoughts and ears on its sound signature.  As a result I have faith, that their reviews on the Sabre will have a sound signature I will like.  In addition, they come with multiple filters that lets the user adjust the sound even more to their preference.  
The quality of Trinity products based on users opinions appears excellent and the CS is top notch from what I see here on the forums.
I think the price to performance is outstanding again based on the many users in the forums here.

The Sabre are in production phase and I have pre-ordered them.  I hope to have them by the end of May to early June.

I feel the A73 are amazing and at a cost of ~$130-150 US, a great deal.  This is my gauge.  I am not audiophile like many here based on what I can pay for IEM.  For me spending $200 US on an IEM would be a large purchase and I am not sure if I could hear the difference in more expensive IEMs. Since I found the sound detail and clarity at low volumes(to protect my hearing) on the A73 to be excellent; this is my gold standard for comparison(right or wrong, its what I use)

My impression is Bob at Trinity Audio has a real desire to deliver high sound at more reasonable price point than some companies where maybe large price is required to get top notch audio.

These are my opinions and my 2 cents fwiw.

May 7, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 20
I only own the Fide A73.  I can't speak for the brands you mentioned and can't say if there overpriced, I am not that knowledgable.  

Bob from Trinity Audio enlists several Head-fi users to help get feedback and tweak his IEMs. I found their reviews and comments on the A73 crucial in making my purchase decision.  I choose the A73 based on their thoughts and ears on its sound signature.  As a result I have faith, that their reviews on the Sabre will have a sound signature I will like.  In addition, they come with multiple filters that lets the user adjust the sound even more to their preference.  
The quality of Trinity products based on users opinions appears excellent and the CS is top notch from what I see here on the forums.
I think the price to performance is outstanding again based on the many users in the forums here.

The Sabre are in production phase and I have pre-ordered them.  I hope to have them by the end of May to early June.

I feel the A73 are amazing and at a cost of ~$130-150 US, a great deal.  This is my gauge.  I am not audiophile like many here based on what I can pay for IEM.  For me spending $200 US on an IEM would be a large purchase and I am not sure if I could hear the difference in more expensive IEMs. Since I found the sound detail and clarity at low volumes(to protect my hearing) on the A73 to be excellent; this is my gold standard for comparison(right or wrong, its what I use)

My impression is Bob at Trinity Audio has a real desire to deliver high sound at more reasonable price point than some companies where maybe large price is required to get top notch audio.

These are my opinions and my 2 cents fwiw.

Just to have a clear idea, the phantom master is their top product? According to what I've read in the page? Or I'm wrong ? And you choose the sabre for budget or you would buy if you have the money a master?

Just to get it clear if I decide to buy as a matter of fact I've already sent them an email, I will be able to have the option to use these with Bluetooth and with the wire ?

May 7, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #13 of 20
Just to have a clear idea, the phantom master is their top product? According to what I've read in the page? Or I'm wrong ? And you choose the sabre for budget or you would buy if you have the money a master?

Just to get it clear if I decide to buy as a matter of fact I've already sent them an email, I will be able to have the option to use these with Bluetooth and with the wire ?

I bought the Sabre because the price was too good to pass up and reading the thread I wanted to try their IEM and got pulled in.
The Master 6 was months away and bit out of my budget, so I said yes I will buy the Sabre since it's closer in time.
Then the Master 4 was announced and it seems perfect price for performance, so I'm going to buy that as well. LOL. Should have just waited for Master 6, I'm spending as much but getting 2IEM but one much sooner to have. UGH.

The Master 6 is top of the line and will have sale price of $200 pounds on a Kickstarter campaign.

As I understand it if there product has a detachable capable you can use the the Bluetooth cable or use it wired.
From what I read, the Master 4 and 6, the Sabre and I think the Atlas all can use the Bluetooth cable

The Master 4 will pre- order on website starting next week for 30 days. Price is $110 pounds- it will have dual dynamic driver in a push- pull with dual BA- so it's 4 drivers
The Master 6 will only be on Kickstarter at first. $200 pounds- dual dynamic driver in push- pull with 4BA(2 dual BA) for total of 6 drivers

These will come with numerous filters to help fine tune the sound signature.

The price will $30 pounds for the Bluetooth cable from what I was told in a post. I figure any of Bob's IEM with Bluetooth cable will sound better than what's available now.

The kid in me wanted a new toy faster so I bought the Sabre. The Master 4 was the perfect but it about 3 months a way. I just could not wait. Jeez can believe I'm saying that as an adult.
I probably can sell the Sabre later at deep discount and look at it as a " rental" till I get my Master 4. :headslap
I hope that explains my situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back