MEE Audio Pinnacle P2
Sep 3, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #46 of 82
Got my P2. First impressions :
P2 sounds very good, great sound value at $75 for sure.
A/B ing with my years-much-used P1, i hear a spike in the 2-4K, which makes them a bit more up front for most vocals, but also harsher to my ears. Theres just not as much of the organic blend to everything that i love in the P1 (My detailed P1 review is on Amazon and the P1 thread).
Bass as first seems more impactful, but more in the lower mid-bass, for slightly more warmth. But with the right amping, the P1's sub-bass is certainly still as good to my ears, with a bit more detail and speed.
They are much easier to drive however, for low-powered amp/portable devices. They are lightweight and as comfortable as the P1. As others have said, the suplied cord sucks. Dont understand making a lighter earbud and a heavy cord. It doesnt unbend well either. Replaced it immediately.
To me the P2 is the cheaper, easier to drive alternative to the P1, but with just a few hours of use, and direct A-Bing with P1, i find the P1 better sounding for my preference, as the frequencies just seem to blend together better and nothing stands out (in the way). The P1 also definitely has better imaging to me, and slightly better resolution.
Not saying the p2 is bad, but that spike in the lower treble is harsher to my ears, imaging is certainly inferior, resolution is not quite as good.
PROs: easy to drive for phones, great sound for the price, comfortable and light.
CONs: cord sucks, is heavy and bends with memory. Seems sturdy, but unwieldy on light buds especially.
Bit of harshness in 2k to 4k (for my ears).
Imaging not as expansive with less depth vs P1.
P1 still has better resolution/detailing.

... With first few hours of listening, to me. Hope that helps, will update if things change or my perceptions mature. :wink:

Sep 3, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #47 of 82
A/B ing with my years-much-used P1, i hear a spike in the 2-4K, which makes them a bit more up front for most vocals, but also harsher to my ears. Theres just not as much of the organic blend to everything that i love in the P1 (My detailed P1 review is on Amazon and the P1 thread).
Bass as first seems more impactful, but more in the lower mid-bass, for slightly more warmth. But with the right amping, the P1's sub-bass is certainly still as good to my ears, with a bit more detail and speed.
They are much easier to drive however, for low-powered amp/portable devices. They are lightweight and as comfortable as the P1. As others have said, the suplied cord sucks. Dont understand making a lighter earbud and a heavy cord. It doesnt unbend well either. Replaced it immediately.
To me the P2 is the cheaper, easier to drive alternative to the P1, but with just a few hours of use, and direct A-Bing with P1, i find the P1 better sounding for my preference, as the frequencies just seem to blend together better and nothing stands out (in the way). The P1 also definitely has better imaging to me, and slightly better resolution.
Not saying the p2 is bad, but that spike in the lower treble is harsher to my ears, imaging is certainly inferior, resolution is not quite as good.
PROs: easy to drive for phones, great sound for the price, comfortable and light.
CONs: cord sucks, is heavy and bends with memory. Seems sturdy, but unwieldy on light buds especially.
Bit of harshness in 2k to 4k (for my ears).
Imaging not as expansive with less depth vs P1.
P1 still has better resolution/detailing.

... With first few hours of listening, to me. Hope that helps, will update if things change or my perceptions mature. :wink:

Thanks for the impressions! You've answered a lot of questions I had about the P2 as a huge P1 fan myself.

One last question though. When you said:
A/B ing with my years-much-used P1, i hear a spike in the 2-4K, which makes them a bit more up front for most vocals, but also harsher to my ears.

Is that 2-4k spike in the P2 or the P1?

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #48 of 82
Thanks for the impressions! You've answered a lot of questions I had about the P2 as a huge P1 fan myself.

One last question though. When you said:

Is that 2-4k spike in the P2 or the P1?
The treble spike seems a lot harsher in that region on the new P2 to me, at least on my copy. Its very noticeable in direct comparison to my copy of P1. I have hundreds of hours on the p1 though, if anyone is concerned with burn-in. I dont expect to hear a great difference on the P2 after more hours/listening, but time will tell.
Dontvwant to give impressions that p2 sounds bad, but just isnt quite as smooth as my p1. I guess thats to be expected though.

Sep 7, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #52 of 82
Hmmm... On another listen andthe P2 seem even harsher this time with the treble spike. Gonna give them some hours on play by themselves, but not too happy at the moment. They sound decent until they are directly compared with P1, then the treble spike is just glaring...

Sep 7, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #54 of 82
Yeah, they indeed suffer from upper midrange and high peak. And highs are artificially brightened. Stock silicones do most of harshness here. I'm getting really good results using Havi foam tips. Peak is almost gone, highs calms down (still bit unnatural). Bass is really good with accented subbass with nice rumble. Vocals are bit recessed but quite natural sounding. Soundstage I fairly wide with good depth (better than P1 imo).
Fun sounding with my S8. Cable is thick and great on the go. One of the best in mobile iems.

Still burning in since they have app. 40 hours on a clock.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #56 of 82
Just receive my pinnacle p2. Currently going through some burn-in cycle.
Overall the package seems nice.
The cable is the thick and rubbery kind with average microphonic, and it feels similar to an iPhone lightning cable, but thicker. I can live with this.

Initial impression at 0 burn in
Sound stage is pretty decent for an IEM. Details for the mid and high are there.
Bass is decent, not too light, but not heavy at all.
Instrument separation is a bit lacking. Everything seems very close together.
Overall seems smooth and musical, on the warm side, but initial impression seems more V-shape than what I expected.

The pinnacle p2 seems like more tuned for general consumer than audiophile.
Compare etymotic HF5 and Hifiman RE400, the pinnacle p2 has more coloration, probably better suit for pop/rock/EDM.
Listening to classical music and everything seems a bit off than from HF5 & RE400.

I'll let it burn in more to see if there's any improvement.

Sep 12, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #57 of 82
Received mine today. I've barely listened for 10 minutes, but from what I'm hearing and for the price, I'm really impressed. I think MEE is doing a good job. Some IEMs are becoming too expensive so I appreciate what MEE has done here.
I'm coming from using multi-driver IEMs so I know these won't be on top, but I'm happy. Obviously I need more listening time to actually have a proper opinion regarding the sound, but I'm just considering the price and what I hear.

I am also waiting for the Massdrop Pinnacle PX which were just shipped, so I'll probably get them in 2 weeks or less (long trip ahead for them).

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #58 of 82
How do you compare those to SE215?

Since nobody else replied yet, I'll do it:

The MEE has got a little more quantity in the sub-bass, while both of them have got an otherwise equally pronounced bottom-end with similar warmth in the fundamental range/lower midrange. However, the P2 compensates more for this with an elevation in the upper midrange wherefore its warmth is perceived as lesser.
In the high frequency range, the P2 is clearly brighter than the Shure.
The Shure sounds more even, natural and harmonious in the midrange and highs.

In the bass, the MEE has a slightly more detailed appearing presentation which is also true for the midrange and highs. The SE215m+SPE, on the other hand, has got the slightly tighter bass response with about comparable control and speed.

The SE215m+SPE's stage is wider, with less spatial depth. Due to the more pronounced width, the Shure appears to separate instruments a bit better.

- - -

Imo MEE audio fixed a few things compared to the P1 (clearly less pronounced 8-10 kHz elevation, tighter bass with more details, no dip between 1 and 3 kHz anymore), however they went a little overboard with the 3-7 kHz range, making the P2 sound brighter at the cost of realism and evenness. (The P1 has however still got the advantage when it comes to details in the mids/highs and soundstage expansion.)

Unless you really want a (noticeably) brighter signature compared to the Shure, I'd say stick to the SE215. It sounds more even and harmonious in the highs, although it is undeniably on the darker side.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #60 of 82
My full (German, however as always with the translator option below the status/navigation bar) review of the Pinnacle P2 is now live, including comparisons with the P1, SE215 and Oriveti Basic: http://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.com/2017/10/mee-audio-pinnacle-p2-review-deutsch.html

DSC04331-small.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back