MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Mar 20, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #3,016 of 3,265
It's been a while since I've had the se535, but my memory of them was that they were good but kinda bland. The P1's soundstage isn't anything to write home about to me, but they're such a great, natural sounding IEM that I'd heartily recommend 'em if that's what you're after. They don't have the big sound of others, but make up for it by keeping things fairly even.

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #3,017 of 3,265
Thanks for the answer. Sadly I can't test them and my only source for choosing the right one is reviews. Some are really die hard on 535 and say it has the best detail and soundstage at this price range, and some say save your money and go for the P1. I'll consider your "heartily" recommendation and appreciate it. What about details? which one has better details?

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #3,018 of 3,265
P1 - SE535 is more smooth and lush.

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #3,020 of 3,265
P1 > F9 Pro by a fairly wide margin to me. The F9P is just far too sibilant by comparison. The bass and separation are stronger, and the P1 (being a single driver) can sound a bit congested compared to a hybrid, but it's so much more natural sounding and won't be fatiguing.

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #3,021 of 3,265
Depends where your sensitivity lies. The P1 has a bigger peak but further toward the 10 kHz mark. I’m the opposite - prefer the F9 Pro, and I don’t find them accentuating sibilance.

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #3,022 of 3,265
There is no way the P1 has a bigger peak. I listen at fairly high volumes and the P1 gives me very little treble trouble. The 1More Quad and F9 Pro both are much rougher.

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #3,023 of 3,265
Thank you all! I have just received the P1s - to be fair, unpacking experience was definitely impressive. And I did not expect such a nice metal finish.

Time to listen to them a bit. So far they seem quite fun (I am coming from HF5), though on the limit of being drivable by a smartphone without an amp...

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #3,024 of 3,265
Thank you all! I have just received the P1s - to be fair, unpacking experience was definitely impressive. And I did not expect such a nice metal finish.

Time to listen to them a bit. So far they seem quite fun (I am coming from HF5), though on the limit of being drivable by a smartphone without an amp...

This is the P1's biggest flaw. It's a bit hard to drive. I kept a Mojo around until mine broke. 50ohm and not terribly sensitive. Given extra juice they're downright magic, though.

Mar 24, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #3,027 of 3,265
There is no way the P1 has a bigger peak. I listen at fairly high volumes and the P1 gives me very little treble trouble. The 1More Quad and F9 Pro both are much rougher.

Depends where your sensitivity lies. The P1 has a bigger peak but further toward the 10 kHz mark. I’m the opposite - prefer the F9 Pro, and I don’t find them accentuating sibilance.

Serves me right for commenting when I was away from my measurements. But this might surprise you.
  1. The P1 peak is marginally smaller - but its there. It occurs around 12-13 kHz which is why it won't bug a lot of people. I do know one person who it affects quite a bit, and he has issues with it.
  2. P1 also has more bass which will mask the upper treble. F9Pro has less so likely to manifest more peak if you are sensitive to that frequency
  3. F9 Pro (as per my review) will give some people issues with the 8 kHz spike. But not everyone gets those issues - and it depends on your sensitivity to certain frequencies (which is what i was trying to say - albeit badly)
In short - both have a peak, although for the majority of people, the P1's peak is less likely to be problematic. And its generally a good idea not to assume that just because you have an issue at a certain frequency, so will everyone else. You'll notice in my comment that I stated "I don’t find them accentuating sibilance".

Anyway - graph here so you can see.

f9 pro vs p1.png

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #3,028 of 3,265
After neglecting my P1 for quite some time, she gets my attention again with the fiio btr1 I bought a month ago. This is a great gizmo and apparently delivers enough juice to make the P1 shine which my phone and even fiio andes was never able to do.

Mar 26, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #3,029 of 3,265
Serves me right for commenting when I was away from my measurements. But this might surprise you.
  1. The P1 peak is marginally smaller - but its there. It occurs around 12-13 kHz which is why it won't bug a lot of people. I do know one person who it affects quite a bit, and he has issues with it.
  2. P1 also has more bass which will mask the upper treble. F9Pro has less so likely to manifest more peak if you are sensitive to that frequency
  3. F9 Pro (as per my review) will give some people issues with the 8 kHz spike. But not everyone gets those issues - and it depends on your sensitivity to certain frequencies (which is what i was trying to say - albeit badly)
In short - both have a peak, although for the majority of people, the P1's peak is less likely to be problematic. And its generally a good idea not to assume that just because you have an issue at a certain frequency, so will everyone else. You'll notice in my comment that I stated "I don’t find them accentuating sibilance".

Anyway - graph here so you can see.

Hey @Brooko , besides the tonality, how would you compare the bass and mid quality of the Pinnacle P1 vs the F9 Pro? And also other technical attributes such as separation and clarity? I currently have the Pinnacle P1 but am missing some sub bass and prefer the measurements of the F9 Pro you have shown besides the 8 khz peak (which I should be able to just EQ away).

Thanks!

Mar 26, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #3,030 of 3,265
Hey @Brooko , besides the tonality, how would you compare the bass and mid quality of the Pinnacle P1 vs the F9 Pro? And also other technical attributes such as separation and clarity? I currently have the Pinnacle P1 but am missing some sub bass and prefer the measurements of the F9 Pro you have shown besides the 8 khz peak (which I should be able to just EQ away).

Thanks!

Bass is more potent and punchier on the F9P. If you can EQ the peak of the F9P away and aren't super sensitive to the sibilance, you may very well prefer them. IMO they sound less congested and a touch livelier, just to my ears were terribly fatiguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back