MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Jul 6, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #2,896 of 3,265
The shells are made out of the same material and are built exactly like the P1. Putting a coating over it doesn't update the build quality, it just puts a coating on it. I'm not trying to say anything bad about the PX's, I just didn't understand how a coating qualifies as an 'update to the build quality'.

So I see, you overlooked other changes on PX.

"When developing the Pinnacle PX, we worked with MEE Audio to make a number of changes with the wearer’s comfort and the IEM’s longevity in mind. The 3.5-millimeter plug and internal MMCX connector design were updated for better durability, and a bit of clear heatshrink tubing was added to the MMCX connectors for improved strain relief. Plus, the compound for the cable sheath was reformulated for additional resistance to sweat and oils from the skin. Packaged with both silicone and Comply foam ear tips, and a protective carrying case, the PX can be worn two ways: with the cable over the ear or straight down from it."

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #2,897 of 3,265
So I see, you overlooked other changes on PX.

"When developing the Pinnacle PX, we worked with MEE Audio to make a number of changes with the wearer’s comfort and the IEM’s longevity in mind. The 3.5-millimeter plug and internal MMCX connector design were updated for better durability, and a bit of clear heatshrink tubing was added to the MMCX connectors for improved strain relief. Plus, the compound for the cable sheath was reformulated for additional resistance to sweat and oils from the skin. Packaged with both silicone and Comply foam ear tips, and a protective carrying case, the PX can be worn two ways: with the cable over the ear or straight down from it."

I did overlook that, you are correct. I skimmed through the page and didn't read all of it. I wonder how they updated the 3.5mm plug, it looks identical to the one on both of my P1 cables.

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #2,898 of 3,265
To clarify my point, I don't think that the P1 sound bad... it's just that I didn't expect that kind of sound signature at all. The lower half of the spectrum sounds very much like a dynamic driver based equivalent of my Westone W4. And the high mids and treble sound not unlike my IE800, albeit a good deal smoother. I've done A/B comparisons to both IEMs and the similarities are pretty obvious. Will post some music examples later, to illustrate a few points that stand out to me on the P1.

So... Given that I have the Westone W4R, would the P1/PX be an upgrade? Or are there better options out there at reasonable prices? (I'm frankly shocked at the recent proliferation of $800+ IEMs that people seem to consider reasonably-priced)

Thanks

Jul 7, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #2,899 of 3,265
Zoide, For some FULLY addicted to this hobby, (that have the available funds), $800 isn't particularly shocking. I find myself quite happy in the $250-$500 range, and even that is stretching it a Tad. For me there is an issue with Price VS performance in the form of the Law of diminishing returns. I am fortunate enough to live in a metro area with more than a few high end Audio stores where frequently I can listen to some Real High end stuff. Are $2500 Iems THAT much better than some available at $400? Not really. But then again honestly, IF I were to invest that Kind of $$$$$ I too would be convinced they were the Best things on Earth. Thank God I have my limits or I'd be divorced right now.

TWIN

Jul 7, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #2,900 of 3,265
One of mine came off once. Placed it back in and used some locktite - and haven't had an issue since. Contact MEE or your dealer if you can't get it back in. They should have a solution.

Its a port for the dynamic driver. You get driver flex if you don't have it. And no - it doesn't work like ADEL.
Rear ports don't help flex. While the rear port doesn't have an Adel effect, the front port will mimic some of it as it (though even more similar to Apex) does relieve positive pressure which would also prevent driver flex and positive insertion pressure from overextending the diaphragm. A sealed rear chamber would actually add resistance to that, not exacerbate it.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #2,901 of 3,265
How i wonder ahout the pessimistic view, with that price, more people would get to experience the awesome P1 at a more reasonable price, with caveat on no extra cable, different color, and... Thats it? I dont really care mich of it cause i dont have the means to directly buy off MD and the P1 is much more accessible to other source (ie AliExpress& even local retail stores here), the PX will be a Special edition thing, if you prefer the silver raw finnish of the original one and have the money to buy it more power to you. While I'm sure many will be glad to see a price cut for such a popular IEM.

Jul 9, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #2,902 of 3,265
Rear ports don't help flex. While the rear port doesn't have an Adel effect, the front port will mimic some of it as it (though even more similar to Apex) does relieve positive pressure which would also prevent driver flex and positive insertion pressure from overextending the diaphragm. A sealed rear chamber would actually add resistance to that, not exacerbate it.

Agreed. That said, going by this exploded view, it looks like the P1 driver sits way back in the rear part of the housing, so at least the vent visible in this picture is probably a front vent.

452cd045925e9406e0645b411b46e2a7.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #2,903 of 3,265
So... Given that I have the Westone W4R, would the P1/PX be an upgrade? Or are there better options out there at reasonable prices? (I'm frankly shocked at the recent proliferation of $800+ IEMs that people seem to consider reasonably-priced)

Thanks

Well, I explained in a later post what ultimately made me return my P1s. They're overall very decent IEMs, but over the years I've come to be pretty picky about tonal balance. Has nothing to do with price btw, at that time I was comparing them to a $30 pair of modded Fostex 02n and liked the cheapos better. In my experience, a higher price will usually buy you better build quality and fancier packaging, but not necessarily higher fidelity. But again, the P1 are overall really decent imo, I'd actually take them over some $1000+ DD IEMs that happen to be extremely popular round here...

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #2,904 of 3,265
Agreed. That said, going by this exploded view, it looks like the P1 driver sits way back in the rear part of the housing, so at least the vent visible in this picture is probably a front vent.

452cd045925e9406e0645b411b46e2a7.jpeg

I can agree with this. The nozzle popped out of one of my earpieces and I can see that it's absolutely just a vent aiming straight at the nozzle. Remember it's a single DD, it makes sense that the reason there's so much housing is that the driver itself is further back.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #2,906 of 3,265
So I'm getting a P1 soon with my HTC 10(+ Apple Music ).
I was told I should get a AMP/DAC for a much better sound.
What do you think about the Fiio A3? Should I take something else?

I bought my p1's in a bundle that included the fiio a3. I found the a3 to be rather harsh with them. I was very disappointed, I had higher expectations from reading the reviews. I don't think it's a bad amp necessarily, but for me it was noticeably worse than my ibasso dx80. Less refined and it made the treble harsh in my opinion, the p1's are already a bright iem and it just exaggerated it.

With that said, I definitely suggest some sort of amp with the p1's. Their 50 ohm impedance requires more power to get the most out of them.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #2,907 of 3,265
So I'm getting a P1 soon with my HTC 10(+ Apple Music ).
I was told I should get a AMP/DAC for a much better sound.
What do you think about the Fiio A3? Should I take something else?

The P1 does sound better with an external dedicated amp, but I think that is true of just about everything. In this case though, they are harder to drive than one might expect and when they drive out of my Note 5, they sound noticeably worse than they should. I would recommend the Fiio A5, which is about the best bang-for-your-buck amp option out there.

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #2,908 of 3,265
The P1 does sound better with an external dedicated amp, but I think that is true of just about everything. In this case though, they are harder to drive than one might expect and when they drive out of my Note 5, they sound noticeably worse than they should. I would recommend the Fiio A5, which is about the best bang-for-your-buck amp option out there.

Sadly I don't have the budget for it.
What about Q1?

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #2,909 of 3,265
Sadly I don't have the budget for it.
What about Q1?

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try the Q1, so I cannot tell you how it sounds. But, it has a low output impedance and puts 190 mW into 32 ohm, so it should drive the P1 just fine from a numbers point of view. My DAP, for example, put 75 mW into 32 ohm, and that is more than enough power even with EQ.

One option you may consider is the Fiio E12A. The E12 is an older iteration of the A5, and the E12A is the IEM-focused version of the E12 (cleaner amping at lower levels and less power overall). Since they are discontinued, you can pick one up for about $80. The only downside and the reason it's cheaper than the E12 is that it won't have the power to drive most headphones well, whereas the E12 or the A5 will.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #2,910 of 3,265
Agree, if you want pure clean driving power and the HTC can do direct line out (example, I use an adapter for my iPhone) an amp only like the E12A is a great option.
But, the Q1 would be more versatile with its DAC capability, it can also function as a cleaner output for your computer (desktop/laptop notwithstanding).
You can make it work as a DAC/AMP that bypass the HTC with a bit of tweaking to make it work with Apple Music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back