MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Jun 2, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #1,426 of 3,265

Not distant in terms of presence (i.e not recessed). But in terms of spaciousness/distance from the listener the p1 indeed has above average dimensions. I will say P1 mids are distant sounding in this sense. For example, the FLC8s has less mid presence but still sounds closer to the listener. It is not as spaced out as the P1.

Not sure how you're differentiating presence from closeness to the listener (I don't mean that as a slight) , but spaciousness often has to do with detail combined with volume in that frequency range.  Finely detailed sound reproduction will reveal low level details such as reverb tails and other room reflections that help identify space.  It's often said that high quality audio gear sounds more spacious and sometimes distant (the huge soundstage that's so sought after). 

Even considering that, I still feel that there's some mid-range intimacy that is making the mids sound closer than a truly accurate earphone would. 
Ultimately though, you have to go with whatever pleases you. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #1,427 of 3,265
  Not sure how you're differentiating presence from closeness to the listener (I don't mean that as a slight) , but spaciousness often has to do with detail combined with volume in that frequency range.  Finely detailed sound reproduction will reveal low level details such as reverb tails and other room reflections that help identify space.  It's often said that high quality audio gear sounds more spacious and sometimes distant (the huge soundstage that's so sought after). 

Even considering that, I still feel that there's some mid-range intimacy that is making the mids sound closer than a truly accurate earphone would. 
Ultimately though, you have to go with whatever pleases you. 

Presence = how much energy in the mid frequencies relative to bass and treble. P1 has pretty much level amount of mid frequency energy relative to the rest of spectrum. It is very well balanced.

Closeness = how the brain interprets the sound to give you a sense of distance. P1 has a nice ability to provide good sense of distance, and by default seems to have a larger than average distance portrayal from the listener. Ofcourse this is relative to all the other iems I own now or have owned in the past. This probably has to do with the slight dip in the upper mids/lower treble range. In my experience this always tend to create some sense of distance. 

Any by the way, how do you define a "truly accurate earphone"? If anything I have learned thus far in this hobby, there just isn't any!

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #1,428 of 3,265
Got mine yesterday and am using them with an AK120 and the big biflange tips and even without the burning am enjoying them a lot. Todays 80 minutes work commute felt really short. I actually hoped for a little traffic jam to use them a little longer.

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #1,429 of 3,265
Got mine yesterday and am using them with an AK120 and the big biflange tips and even without the burning am enjoying them a lot. Todays 80 minutes work commute felt really short. I actually hoped for a little traffic jam to use them a little longer.

they are amazing but i feel mids are distant

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #1,431 of 3,265
they are amazing but i feel mids are distant

Several of us have questioned your "distant" comment, and there has been good discussion with sound by @BOWIE and @omastic, which I am thoroughly enjoying and learning a bit!

Please define your "distant" comment in much further detail....cheers.

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,432 of 3,265
Several of us have questioned your "distant" comment, and there has been good discussion with sound by @BOWIE and @omastic, which I am thoroughly enjoying and learning a bit!

Please define your "distant" comment in much further detail....cheers.

I have the P1 and i felt so for vocals tracks. Understand that u guys think it is not distant but that what I felt :/
I still love my P1 though :)

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #1,433 of 3,265
Hardly.   Maybe you're listening to mid-centric IEMs or have had trouble getting a good fit but as someone who is used to accurate monitoring,  the P1s are slightly forward in the low and central mids.   More than I would care for in critical listening but perfect for musical enjoyment, IMO.  I respect everyone's tastes but I can't imagine hearing them as quite distant in the mids. 
yes this is the answer.maybe im too used to mid centric iems. Not sure if its a good or bad thing :/

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #1,434 of 3,265
It has a mild v shape - but to me that is a lot more natural sounding than the very forward "coloured" mid-range on something like the FCL8S. I'd also agree that there is nothing distant about the mids on the P1

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #1,435 of 3,265
It has a mild v shape - but to me that is a lot more natural sounding than the very forward "coloured" mid-range on something like the FCL8S. I'd also agree that there is nothing distant about the mids on the P1
can I say the forward mids feel more intimate I would guess? Cheers :)

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,436 of 3,265
If you're talking about the FLC8S - yes I would say it's mid-range is more intimate.  I don't think the P1 mid-range is though.  I would personally say well balanced - but its really dependent on what you're coming from and where your preferences lie.

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #1,437 of 3,265

Presence = how much energy in the mid frequencies relative to bass and treble. P1 has pretty much level amount of mid frequency energy relative to the rest of spectrum. It is very well balanced.

Closeness = how the brain interprets the sound to give you a sense of distance. P1 has a nice ability to provide good sense of distance, and by default seems to have a larger than average distance portrayal from the listener. Ofcourse this is relative to all the other iems I own now or have owned in the past. This probably has to do with the slight dip in the upper mids/lower treble range. In my experience this always tend to create some sense of distance. 

Any by the way, how do you define a "truly accurate earphone"? If anything I have learned thus far in this hobby, there just isn't any!

Not how I've seen presence traditionally used (my background is pro-audio), but audio vocab is a bit interpretive and consumer audio forums are known for loose use of terminology so it's not a big deal.  Presence is used to either describe upper-midrange strength (for instance, the 'presence' EQ knob on many amps is upper midrange) or can be used to describe the impression of closeness or intimacy of various portions of the spectrum, IE; "presence in the highs".
In my job, I speak to a lot of audio engineers and it's always interesting how some identify closeness as low-midrange strength (the 'body' in a vocal sounding close) and others hear it in the more sibilant, stinging upper-midrange frequencies, some even hear it in the highs and in the breath of a vocal.  I'm not going to get caught up in semantics though and the important part is that you hear the P1s in a certain way and that's good enough.  I don't think most people hear distance in the P1 but we don't all share the same hearing.

For me, the closest to 'neutral' I've heard in headphones is the Beyerdynamic 880.  AKG k712 is close but a little hyped.  
yes this is the answer.maybe im too used to mid centric iems. Not sure if its a good or bad thing :/

There's no good or bad, it's about what you like.  Designers know that consumers tend to like certain things, a mid to upper-mid bass bump, a high freq lift around 10 to 12k, a push in the midrange that brings out vocals because vocals are the star of the show in most popular music.  Consumer monitoring is designed to flatter popular music so you liking a pushed vocal is normal.  Some prefer a flatter, more accurate sound.  I wanted something in-between and I think the P1s excel at that.  They are tuned so that the fatiguing elements (upper-mids, lower regions of sub-bass) are subdued a little, but there's still a good sense of overall accuracy, comparatively.  I might hear the opposite things you do because I'm used to studio monitoring and gear that's designed to not flatter the music, so the P1s sound mid-forward to me.

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #1,438 of 3,265
yeap it really depends on preferences and the sound you usually hear 
beerchug.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #1,439 of 3,265
  Presence is used to either describe upper-midrange strength (for instance, the 'presence' EQ knob on many amps is upper midrange) or can be used to describe the impression of closeness or intimacy of various portions of the spectrum, IE; "presence in the highs".

Thank you - exactly the way I know it.  Fundamental range for vocals I think is typically 100Hz - 900 Hz for male, and 250 Hz to about 1kHz for female.  The Presence area is the upper mid-range from about 2-4kHz, and is the area which highlights clarity, brings sweetness for female vocals - and generally brings "presence" to the music.  A natural rise in this area also seems to bring cohesion to the transition from lower mids to upper mids.  A dip in this area can really suck the life out of the mid-range.

The P1 has a rise in this presence area.

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #1,440 of 3,265

Not how I've seen presence traditionally used (my background is pro-audio), but audio vocab is a bit interpretive and consumer audio forums are known for loose use of terminology so it's not a big deal.  Presence is used to either describe upper-midrange strength (for instance, the 'presence' EQ knob on many amps is upper midrange) or can be used to describe the impression of closeness or intimacy of various portions of the spectrum, IE; "presence in the highs".
In my job, I speak to a lot of audio engineers and it's always interesting how some identify closeness as low-midrange strength (the 'body' in a vocal sounding close) and others hear it in the more sibilant, stinging upper-midrange frequencies, some even hear it in the highs and in the breath of a vocal.  I'm not going to get caught up in semantics though and the important part is that you hear the P1s in a certain way and that's good enough.  I don't think most people hear distance in the P1 but we don't all share the same hearing.

For me, the closest to 'neutral' I've heard in headphones is the Beyerdynamic 880.  AKG k712 is close but a little hyped.  

I was not trying to define the "terms" presence or closeness, rather what I meant by them in my description. Of course I don't have any background in pro audio so never realized they could be taken as definitions of terms.

In any case, I never meant hearing distance in the P1's mid as a negative thing. In fact this is one of the unqiue features of this iem that I really like. I also mentioned in my post that this is relative to the other iems I listen to these days. Whenever I switch from something else to the P1 I immediately notice the sound being a bit further away from me. But again, it is an interesting feature for me rather than being a caveat. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back