MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Jan 28, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #32 of 3,265
  Been listening to these on and off for a day now. Some very important things I've noticed.

• The silver-plated cable is arguably of much higher quality, and it considerably extends the FR on both ends -- bass dips deeper and highs reach further. HOWEVER, I find it to tip the scale of harsh and make the P1 too treble-heavy to listen to. I have five total MMCX cables (partially by accident), and all four other ones "reduce" the extension a little, but I only find it to impact the treble, which is a good thing for me. Basically, the silver-plated cable does +5% bass, +20% treble.

• The micro-detail and note persistence the P1 is capable of is STUNNING. Even better than my Etymotic ER4S. It's so much easier for me to hear background lines in complex passages with the P1 than in any other IEM I have.

• The treble-extension is extremely flat and has excellent resolution.

• Very comfortable and easy to wear, all the time.

• The included silicone tips fit great; however they enhance treble too much too. I was having a bit of trouble with treble with silicone + silver-plated cable, I can tell you that!! But the Comply tips work much better. It's not a matter of "softening" the treble; the Comply tips "stop enhancing" the treble compared to the silicone.

Maybe try to go to the next larger size silicone tip?  I actually switched to using UE900 silicone tips.  They have a bigger/wider cap.  It's all about the seal :wink:

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #33 of 3,265

Maybe try to go to the next larger size silicone tip?  I actually switched to using UE900 silicone tips.  They have a bigger/wider cap.  It's all about the seal :wink:

I made sure I had a perfect seal. It's simply the character of silicone versus foam.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #34 of 3,265

I made sure I had a perfect seal. It's simply the character of silicone versus foam.

... and unique anatomy of our ears
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #35 of 3,265
These are seriously getting a lot of headspace with me.... I have an FLC8S and Fidue A83 next to me that are being neglected.... the P1 don't really sound like any other headphone I've ever heard. They're so detailed and cohesive.

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #36 of 3,265
How do they fare with metal? Would they fit under a motorcycle helmet. I had the MEE Audio M-Duo's, and liked the sound.

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #37 of 3,265
  How do they fare with metal? Would they fit under a motorcycle helmet. I had the MEE Audio M-Duo's, and liked the sound.

Wow, I really have to thank you for asking that question. For the past two hours, I've been listening to some of my metal collection. I tried to really range the styles from Dio to Iron Maiden to Faith No More to Fall Of Troy to Iced Earth. They are hands-down the best IEMs I've ever used for metal, for two main reasons: they don't over-accentuate bass, the bass just sounds like a bass guitar or synth as it should; and because the treble extension gives the guitar such a realistic crunch I feel like I'm hearing them play live. Good metal is all about tone and speed and emotion, and the clarity that comes through these in unmatched, especially at this price range.

I believe due to their over-ear shape, they would fit much better than a straight-down IEM under your helmet.

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #38 of 3,265
Welp. Interesting rising.

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #40 of 3,265
I wonder how P1 compare to Audio-technica ath-IM02 ? I was thinking about buying im02 but since i saw this review I'm not very sure which one to buy now.

I owned the IM02 for about a month. Don't bother. They're fairly similar sound signature, and the P1 is more competent in literally every way. They're not even in the same class. The P1 exceeds the IM04 which I had for about 3 months.

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #41 of 3,265
I owned the IM02 for about a month. Don't bother. They're fairly similar sound signature, and the P1 is more competent in literally every way. They're not even in the same class. The P1 exceeds the IM04 which I had for about 3 months.

So P1 really is a Giant killer then. This is very helpful ,now i can decide which to buy. Thanks !

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #42 of 3,265
Hmmm, this seems promising. I am in the market for a neutral-ish iem as my gr07s recently died, was debating the im02, ue900, Titan 1, re400, fidelio s2anything under $500 really and I stumbled on an inner fidelity video about these. the above impression about killing the im02 has me very very intrigued. How do these compare to the GR07?

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #44 of 3,265
Hmmm, this seems promising. I am in the market for a neutral-ish iem as my gr07s recently died, was debating the im02, ue900, Titan 1, re400, fidelio s2anything under $500 really and I stumbled on an inner fidelity video about these. the above impression about killing the im02 has me very very intrigued. How do these compare to the GR07?

I also had the GR07 for about six months. I love the GR07. Frankly I'd say the GR07 beats the IM02, but not in every way. GR07 has a really nice natural flow to it, though  it can be sibilant at times (and real sibilance, not just "strong treble presence"). The IM02 just tended to sound artificial in comparison to the GR07, though the IM02 had more "seductive" bass, one could say.

As far as the GR07 vs P1 goes, the P1 definitely have more treble extension than the GR07, and man is it smooooth. There's quite a bit more bass in the P1 too, but it NEVER bleeds into the mids in my experience. Background detail is one area where the P1 wipes the floor with GR07. The staging on the P1 is wider too, so it lets you focus in on all the background parts a lot better, where the GR07 would get smeared sometimes (especially if sibilance occurred, it would kind of obliterate the rest of the spectrum for that moment in time while listening). I really liked the GR07 but the sibilance and minor lack of clarity in the highs is exactly what is the most notable upgrade listening to the P1.

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #45 of 3,265
Hmmm. I had the Gr07 and the treble extension was quite good but then I had the first run, early batch one that was changed by all accounts. How bout vs. the Ety in treble extension? I am also quite familiar with that and it is a more stable, perhaps more reliable, comparison at least for me. Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back