MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Jan 18, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #2,986 of 3,265
You won't find cables do a lot with changing the sound of the P1 - it's impedance curve is pretty benign. But the power can be handy as its definitely a harder to drive IEM than most.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #2,987 of 3,265
You won't find cables do a lot with changing the sound of the P1 - it's impedance curve is pretty benign. But the power can be handy as its definitely a harder to drive IEM than most.

Thanks for the input as usual Brooko. You are in so many of these threads and are always so informative.

I see what you are saying about the the P1's power consumption. I think this was the fist time I felt the need to try out the high gain setting on the X7. :)

Definitely helps to go with a balanced output.

I have much to learn!

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #2,988 of 3,265
Yep - there were a lot of cable claims when the P1 first came out - especially SPC vs copper. Its been a while since I reviewed them - but you might find this interesting (from the review).

Cable Changes
I suspected that MEEs custom dynamic driver would be pretty stable – especially as far as impedance goes. While I couldn't measure this, I could measure the effect of different cables to see what if any changes there would be. So for this exercise I measured the included OFC and SPC cables, the FiiO RC-SE1B cable (with a balanced to SE adaptor), the ALO Tinsel, and also an OFC Trinity cable. As you can see from the graph below, there were very slight changes in actual volume (which indicates slight changes in impedance of the cables). But when volume matched, the cables all show the same frequency response. So again – if anyone indicates a more expensive cable as giving better sound-stage, vibrancy, bass/mids/treble etc – simply smile, ignore them, and adjust the volume. It should net the same results.

Raw data 5 cables
Left to right - FiiO SPC, Trinity OFC, ALO Tinsel SPC, MEE SPC
All cables after volume matching

********************************************************************************************
Apologies for the older graphs - this was before I started using the IEC 711 adjustment.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #2,989 of 3,265
Thanks so much Expired. I'll definitely check out the cables section as I didn't realize different cables could influence the sound signature. Just recently been getting into the headphone scene and learning a lot. Head-fi in particular has been very helpful with the great community here and appreciate all the input.

Yeah, currently trying out the PX's with spare 2.5mm balanced cables i had from the Fiio F9's and agree that they do sound great. My mind may be playing tricks but the sound stage does seem to open up a bit and i have a lot more headroom with the amp which is very nice.

I'd say all things considered your doing well. The hard part comes from curbing your own curiosity per what your willing to dish out. As for the Px as long as they're properly driven I find them to be great all rounders for the money, keeping in mind a proper seal. I've used them for two years so far with little want to upgrade. Of course that's change and the need to get more bass texture, timbre, while expanding the soundstage and keeping a decently balanced Sig. is where I'm at the moment. I've since chosen to go to the sony Xba Z5. Doing enough reading and from what I gather that should do just nicely with my Hifiman 901s.

Anyways back on topic. Welcome to the community enjoy the Px solid value for the deal

Feb 16, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #2,990 of 3,265
I am about to be a proud new owner of the PXs. My main setup is the HD 6XX fed by the Schiit Mimby/Jot combo, these will be my first foray into IEMs. For the last decade+ my portable rig has just been PortaPros.

I have read through the whole thread and there is a lot of great advice in here. I am still trying to figure out a good sub $300 portable amp or dac/amp option to drive these. I will be using my Samsung Note 8 as the source, so needs to play nicely with Android. I have a lossless collection, but will be using Spotify premium frequently. Listen to a wide variety of music, but primarily indie rock, hip-hop, r&b and folk.

I have thought about the xDuoo Xd-05, the Sabaj d2, Fiio Q1, Oppo HA2-se, used chord mojo and a variety of other options. Looking for suggestions, but also wondering if anyone has tried out the HeadAmp Pico options (DAC/Amp or Power) as those have just popped up on Massdrop for a reasonable price. Thanks in advance for any help, looking forward to breaking this in when I get them next week and doing lots of tip rolling!

Feb 16, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #2,991 of 3,265
I am about to be a proud new owner of the PXs. My main setup is the HD 6XX fed by the Schiit Mimby/Jot combo, these will be my first foray into IEMs. For the last decade+ my portable rig has just been PortaPros.

I have read through the whole thread and there is a lot of great advice in here. I am still trying to figure out a good sub $300 portable amp or dac/amp option to drive these. I will be using my Samsung Note 8 as the source, so needs to play nicely with Android. I have a lossless collection, but will be using Spotify premium frequently. Listen to a wide variety of music, but primarily indie rock, hip-hop, r&b and folk.

I have thought about the xDuoo Xd-05, the Sabaj d2, Fiio Q1, Oppo HA2-se, used chord mojo and a variety of other options. Looking for suggestions, but also wondering if anyone has tried out the HeadAmp Pico options (DAC/Amp or Power) as those have just popped up on Massdrop for a reasonable price. Thanks in advance for any help, looking forward to breaking this in when I get them next week and doing lots of tip rolling!
Possibly something that won’t add glare to the music like a Sabre chip. I say this because last night I was listening to the px using the Oppo ha-2 and there was an unpleasant glare to the sound. Now when I use the centrance hifi-mate it sounds incredible. That uses an ak chip. Just a thought since I happen to hear it last night.

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #2,992 of 3,265

I have the Q1 mk2, Q1 mk1 and the Xduoo (upgraded with Burson opamp). They are all awesome with the P1/etc., but the Q1 is more portable. I like the mk2 the best with them, though the Xduoo is close behind. I don't think the Fiio can be beat for the cost, particularly with the balanced out option.

Feb 19, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #2,994 of 3,265
Talking about the Q1, I was wanting to ask something about it (Q1 MK I). If you use it directly from the PC speaker output as an amp and plug in the power - do you get any hiss / interference? Or does it automatically detect the USB and operate as a DAC as well? But none-the-less, any interference issues as I plan to use it solely on my desktop?

OK, now on to the P1s:
I always feel that the left speaker is more bassier, but when I swap the speakers and wear them downwards, I don't notice any more bass in the right ear. So it seems that actually they are balanced, but I'm thinking it's the over-ear fit. I'm assuming my ears aren't exactly symmetrical and the fit is not entirely the same. These fit so snug and sometimes they seal too well. Could it be a fit thing? Anyone else notice anything similar? Maybe I'm just paranoid or being too picky.

Mar 3, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #2,995 of 3,265
hey guys, i already asked this in it01 thread but got no answers, so i decided to ask here. could anybody compare the pinnacle p1 to Ibasso it01? do the differences justify the 100 dollar price gap?

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #2,996 of 3,265
hey guys, i already asked this in it01 thread but got no answers, so i decided to ask here. could anybody compare the pinnacle p1 to Ibasso it01? do the differences justify the 100 dollar price gap?
I'm going to make your decision even harder but Massdrop have their own exclusive P1, it's the same headphone just different color and cable
but it only cost $114. The P1 require power if you think you have it the P1 will give you a balanced sound with a huge sound stage with a inoffensive bass
also the P1 are heavy but they are much smaller and should be more comfortable then the IT01
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mee-audio-pinnacle-px-iems

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #2,997 of 3,265
thank you, but i can't use massdrop offers because of where i live. guess i'm going with the pinnacles. i'm gonna pair them with my Fiio X3ii for now, but do you think a budget amp would be effective enough to pair with the x3ii for these earphones?

Mar 4, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #2,998 of 3,265
thank you, but i can't use massdrop offers because of where i live. guess i'm going with the pinnacles. i'm gonna pair them with my Fiio X3ii for now, but do you think a budget amp would be effective enough to pair with the x3ii for these earphones?

At >200 mW@ 32 Ohms, the X3ii has more than enough power to properly drive the Pinnacle P1's.

Mar 4, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #2,999 of 3,265
You'll be fine with the x3ii. The P1s need a good push to be at their best, but they don't need a huge amount of power (although they can take it). You will be really happy with them, they are amazing performers.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #3,000 of 3,265
I haven't heard the Pinnacles yet, I wish I would have picked them up from massdrop instead of the nuforce EDCs I bought in December though. I can tell you the IT01s sound great from my fiio X3ii as well as my note 4 LG G6 and laptop. I thinks the P1s would sound great from your X3ii and it should have no problem driving them, it powered my hard to drive for an IEM havi b3s easily on low gain and my son's 250 ohm DT770s on high gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back