MEE Af32 Runaway observations
Nov 19, 2016 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

aeromojito

100+ Head-Fier
I just got these a few days ago and have made some observations. They sound good but not "audiophile' good. They are better than any of the earbuds my friends have but not as good as the Sony or Sennheiser headphones I have. Those are both $100 or so models. If you like bass, they are not lacking. There is a dip in the midrange that accentuates the lows and highs. The highs are crisp bit not sparkling like the Koss KSC75.

One thing I noticed was the isolation with no music playing. I heard sound through the right more than the left. I found out it is coming through the 3.5mm jack by putting my finger over it. This also changes the bass. It becomes weaker when covered to match the left. I wore them delivering newspapers and also noticed a dull thud with every step I take. Headphones that don't seal like the KSC75 and Moto s305 don't do this. I couldn't tell if covering the jack changed that but venting the other side could lessen it. I would definitely choose open headphones for outdoor activities with traffic around.

Looking at the ear cushions, the thick padding covers the entire driver. The center is not open
I wonder if opening the center of them would unveil the mids. I probably won't butcher these to find out but I would love to know if anyone has tried different ear cushions or modified these. I know there are other models made the same way.

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 5
I removed the earpads today and found that the center is a separate round piece of foam. Removing it really brought out the highs. Unfortunately, the mids were increased too. I would like to suppress the mids but leave the highs. Would cutting a hole in the center accomplish this? Which part of the driver reproduces which part of the spectrum?

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 5
There is no damping material at all. I also noticed one hole in the back of the driver is open. Covering it with porous medical tape kills the bass but the lower mids really stand out. The highs still sound veiled. I tried half covering the hole in the back of the driver and the bass is about right. I haven't tried doing both yet. There is still one more option. I could put holes in the ear cushions. This seems like a good idea but there would be no turning back without replacing them. What do you guys think?
[/IMG][/IMG]

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 5
Well, I decided to cover the open vent holes half way with micropore tape This has proven to be just enough to bring out the highs. The bass is still boosted quite a bit but I like it. I might try to tame it a little more but I'm going to try this for a few days. I may have voided the warranty but the mod is free and reversible.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 5
I still feel like the highs have a ringing quality to them. I've been playing with adding a thin ring of foam to match the blue memory foam. I'll have to listen some more but this might do the trick. It moves the drivers away from the ears just a little and decreases the pressure of the pads on the center of your ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back