Medication question
Mar 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

judy1992

100+ Head-Fier
I had a root canal with complications & was given Vicodin. How long does this drug stay in your body? I'm looking for a new part time job, & don't want to fail my drug test.

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 11
I believe it's around 3-4 days, but to be on the safe side I'd just get a written note from the dentist.  I'm sure they would take your word for it when they test you, but it's always better to be careful.

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 11
Yes, I too think you better ask your dentist a signed note explaining that you're on medication and what kind drug he/she gave you, so if they found something on your blood and or urine test, you can explain it.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 11
Don't worry about it. I'm not a doctor and don't know how long it'll stay in your system.

However, make copies of the prescription and maybe get a letter from your dentist stating the procedure you had and that narcotics were prescribed. If you get tested, give them this information before you take the drug test.

You're taking a legally prescribed medication, so you should be fine. Just let them know up front.

P.S. I hope your root canal turns out OK and I also hope you get the job!

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 11
Prior to the test for the many drug tests I have participated in, I was required to answer a written questionnaire. One of the questions was to describe any medications I am taking and for what reason. Hopefully your potential employer uses a real testing lab with similar procedures and not one of those do it yourself drug test kits in a box.

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 11
Thank you Erik.. It got infected, & the gums under the tooth made my jaw swell.. It's better now.. Still looking for a new part time job.

Quote:
Don't worry about it. I'm not a doctor and don't know how long it'll stay in your system.

However, make copies of the prescription and maybe get a letter from your dentist stating the procedure you had and that narcotics were prescribed. If you get tested, give them this information before you take the drug test.

You're taking a legally prescribed medication, so you should be fine. Just let them know up front.

P.S. I hope your root canal turns out OK and I also hope you get the job!

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 11
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe most drug tests check for opiate presence in general, only for 6-monoacetylmorphine (which is exclusively found in heroin), so you should probably be fine either way. Hydrocodone usually stays in your system for 3 to 4 days but depending on the person it can be longer. If you're still worried, bring a note from the dentist or a copy of your prescription. Good luck!

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 11
Make sure you have proof of the dentist giving you them. Pre-employement screenings usually are 5-panel ua tests which do not directly test for the metabolized hydrocodone (which I am pretty sure shows up as hydromorphone in the system). 10 panel, 12 panel, hair, and saliva can directly test for it. It gets fuzzy if you take it on a constant basis like I do (I have chronic headaches that come and go.  Been going to the doctor since 2006.), but normally like stated before 3-4 days. Seriously though, just make sure you have a note from doctor and or the script and or the script bottle. Nothing to worry about.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #11 of 11
Mmm ... Vicodin - did wonders for my tooth pain until I had my root canal done.

Mmm ... Percocet - did wonders for my gall bladder that was causing me uber pain until I could get it removed.

Oh, sorry.  Your question was about drug tests and how long the drugs remain in your system.  It appears the post above mine was quite thorough at pointing out the various testing methodologies applied.  Good luck in your job search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back