Medeski Scofield Martin & Wood - Out Louder
Nov 18, 2006 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stevesurf

Headphoneus Supremus
Here's another totally biased mini-review of this evolving group...
With John Scofield joining the trio whose artist name sounds like a law firm, you can expect some great, yet dominant guitar contributions. Those fans of older MMW times may find that John helps them get back to their roots, with some nice "dueling keyboards and guitar" tracks like "Little Walter Rides Again."

Not to worry, though, as Medeski's keyboard dominance is still heard on tracks like "What Now", for those that get into that; however, then there's Scofield's turn at the guitar solo. There's still more nice keyboard on "Down the Tube" and "Legalize it", but MMW fans may find some of these tracks less energetic than others.

"What Now", my favorite track, is just adventurous, like transporting yourself back to the sixties lounge scene. However, tracks like "Miles Behind", "In Case the World Changes.." and "The Cropper" celebrate John's new influence.

This is a good quality CD recording; however I found a bit less "punch" to it than their previous CD, "End of the World Party." I would definitely recommend this CD for purchase after "End of the World Party", unless you are a guitar solo fan, in which case you'll enjoy the talent of John Scofield.

Nov 22, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 7
Just picked this up yesterday and I really am enjoying it. I agree that Scofield fits in with these guys like a glove. As I said in the other MMW thread, I saw Phil and Friends with Scofield and he seemed a little lost.

Nov 22, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just picked this up yesterday and I really am enjoying it. I agree that Scofield fits in with these guys like a glove. As I said in the other MMW thread, I saw Phil and Friends with Scofield and he seemed a little lost.

'Cuz Phil pales in comparison...
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'Cuz Phil pales in comparison...
wink.gif

Maybe so, but despite Scofield being lost, it was a great show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back