mdrv-700dj = tight
May 29, 2004 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

KingKung

New Head-Fier
yo i got my headphones about 1 month ago and i think they rock. i can no longer hear my mom screaming and yelling....but then i can no longer hear cars or stalkers when i walk home... the sound is excellent, so clear i can hear how crappy my files are! its funny how my headphones r heavier and bigger than my mini ipod...
pros - good sound, bass, big and stylin', good insulation, good ear muffs, works out ur neck, and the most important it gets the chicks...and nerdy guys but u cant argue
cons - my ears get sweaty when its not cold out
biggrin.gif
easy prey for molestors

May 29, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 12
Yo. I goT u. Itz like da bling bling ya wearz on ur eArZ. I feel ya, dawg.

-ThE 1 tHe onLy tHE aMazING thE AwesOmE mAstEr oF PhizasTeR "DiRty DaWG cHrIS" anDz hIS poSSe'

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingKung
yo i got my headphones about 1 month ago and i think they rock. i can no longer hear my mom screaming and yelling....but then i can no longer hear cars or stalkers when i walk home... the sound is excellent, so clear i can hear how crappy my files are! its funny how my headphones r heavier and bigger than my mini ipod...
pros - good sound, bass, big and stylin', good insulation, good ear muffs, works out ur neck, and the most important it gets the chicks...and nerdy guys but u cant argue
cons - my ears get sweaty when its not cold out
biggrin.gif
easy prey for molestors

May 29, 2004 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 12
I found the MDR-V700DJ to not be a good value, even at half the price that it sells for at retail in the US. It suffers from all the faults of the MDR-V900/MDR-7509, and to an even greater degree. The upper bass is even more bloated than it already is on the MDR-V900/MDR-7509, burying even further whatever deep bass response that the Sonys produce. The highs are okay, but the upper midrange and lower treble on those cans suck. And it's very difficult to beatmatch with those 'phones not only because of the bloated upper bass, but also because of the nearly nonexistent upper mids/lower treble.
evil_smiley.gif

Add to those faults in the sound the fact that most samples of the MDR-V700DJ in use, and some samples of that same model that are still on store shelves, are inexcusably flimsy (especially in the swivels, whose covers were made of very thin, very brittle plastic that had to bear all of the weight of the very heavy earpieces), and the fact that the MDR-V700DJ is very uncomfortable to wear (even for short listening runs - I blame the excessive, uneven pressure from the earpieces and the insecure fit for that discomfort), and you have the archetypical V-Flop headphone.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 29, 2004 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 12
Someone's having a little fun here but, in case they're serious, I'll bite.
smily_headphones1.gif

I heard them at a local department store. They absolutely sucked. I can't even tell you what sucked about them, it's just the entire sound that was wrong. But hey, if you like em, then more power to ya!
wink.gif

May 29, 2004 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Someone's having a little fun here but, in case they're serious, I'll bite.
smily_headphones1.gif

I heard them at a local department store. They absolutely sucked. I can't even tell you what sucked about them, it's just the entire sound that was wrong. But hey, if you like em, then more power to ya!
wink.gif

Yup!, I agree with you there, plainsong. Only now I'm no longer calling them the 'v-crap' series; instead, I'm calling them the 'v-flop' series.

[size=xx-small]Though I will still use the term 'v-crap' on occasion...[/size]
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 29, 2004 at 12:04 PM Post #7 of 12
What I was thinking when I saw the thread title was "mdrv-700dj = flabby!"

It was the kind of sound that made me think that all closed headphones sound this bad. But they could have their uses, like maybe with music that was made for them.

May 29, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 12
I have a Pair of MDR-V700 Dj and while true thay are not musicial at all and if not using an EQ thay are worthless, however Boost the lower Bass reduce the Midbass and the problems talked about by others hear almost go away. What i like about the V700 is you can Force Beep bass out of them and Due to the 3 watt power Capacity and the small earcup Lots of Eq on the Bass and a resonable loud Low sub 40 Hz Bass not will be reproduced loudly without bottimg out the Driver. Bone Jarring Deep Bass. Now i admitt it has been over 6 mo since i listened to the V700 and if real good sound is what your after at a price slightly lower than the V700 I would look into some MDR-V6 or the MDR-7506 Still the Best bang for the Buck.

May 29, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 12
I use the Earpads made for the MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 on my V700's way more comfort and also improves the sound be sure to remove the Foam behind the stock V700 ear pads to improve the sound of the midrange when doing this mod. the V6 pads are ovil in shape however will fit into the round V700 shape.

May 29, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 12
The mdr-v700 are designed for djing and not for general music listening. A lot of djs (like myself in the past) use them because it brings out the beat and rhythms in the music. As a result, It is not intended to reproduce lots of deep bass, but lots of mid bass (sensitivity biased towards the mid bass). The 700dj has a dark presentation (recessed highs) because intense highs causes listening fatigue quickly at high SPL. Listening fatigue is one of the worse things that can happen while djing. They are good for djing and no more. The myth surronding quality is very simple: as dj headphones they are not strong enough and need to be handled like eggs. For consumer audio they are strong enough.

But let's admit it. KingKung likes the sound signature of the 700dj, then good because he is the end user. At $90, if those headphones satisfy his needs, then great.

May 29, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #12 of 12
They're a pretty good match with the iPod. I wouldn't use them on a regular basis (too heavy) but the disadvantages of the headphone jack of the iPod actually reins in the V700 somewhat.

Generally, the rule of thumb seems to be the more power you feed these and the better that a source powers regular hi-fi cans, the less the V700 is in it's element as a listening phone (i.e. not monitoring/DJ), becoming unmanageably bloaty and congested.

I know a friend of mine uses his European iPod almost exclusively with the V700. With a Mark Levinson home rig and the SR-007 (listening to it via the 390S persuaded me to buy a set for myself) / HD650 (which I'm borrowing) among others he's hardly a stranger to audiophilia in general. He acknowledges their faults but appreciates their fun sound, style and general build. I'd agree with that in general. My main problem with the V700 as pointed out before would be the 300g weight, which is NOT a portable phone.

They're amusing cans, and have style as well. For geeks who have no style (and let's be honest, I get the feeling that many of us fall into this category), that particular attribute of these phones won't register in their geeky minds. I don't think they're that bad value for money, a lot of phones sound worse and are built worse, not to mention that you're paying also for the design. Sony have made an attempt to fix the pivot issues. Later models shouldn't have this as much. Otherwise they're pretty well built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back