MDR7506 + Creek OHB-11
Dec 1, 2002 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bulkie

100+ Head-Fier
Using the MDR with my portables and computer (hercules game theatre XP 6.1). Was just wondering if the creek amp would pump out more punches, bass for me.

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 12
if the 7509's are any indication. then heck yes. i was using a pair of 7509's as my main pair of cans until i got my 770's and they definately improved out of the obh11 as opposed to unamped.

much better bass punch and extension. also more detail.

Dec 1, 2002 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 12
It should. The bass is meatier with the obh-2 supply. Be careful with your expectations with the Creek. I bought the Creek amp, and Art DI/O dac as add-ons to my cd player, but was repulsed by the sound until I bought the upsampler, and better interconnects.

Dec 2, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 12
What Snufkin said.

I think mp3s will not sound great with the Creek. The Creek is very good at the highest frequencies, but mp3s are weak at those same freqs. The Creek is not so good in the midrange, and I don't think the mp3 emphasis on the midbass will flatter the amp either. My own experience with using the Creek and mp3s gave a friendly, but boring sound. My source in that setup includes a mediocre sound card. With the best mp3s/wavs, I could make, I couldn't get any vivid imaging, so that gives you an idea of how good my computer sound is - not good. Use at least an Acoustic Research Pro Series interconnect to get some semblance of good sound.

Conclusion: The Creek may be overkill if your soundcard's output sucks, like mine does (Turtle Beach Montego II wannabe). Hmm, I don't know how widely available any AR 1/8th " -> RCA ICs are, but I hear that markertek makes these cables (mini-jack to RCA termination).

Dec 2, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by ablaze
you know what you should do? you should get my Terratec 6fire LT at S$250
biggrin.gif

and sell off your herc.
wink.gif

Yeah thats a good offer, but im using speakers + headphones together, so I'll need the headphone jack.

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 12
I just split my front line-out to my speakers and my headphones. don't think that affects the sound adversely. maybe a lil softer?

seriously. you might want to think of upgrading the source. most people here will tell you the PC is crap. I'm stubbornly trying my best to squeeze the most out of my PC with the sweetest card I can afford
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 4:41 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by ablaze
I just split my front line-out to my speakers and my headphones. don't think that affects the sound adversely. maybe a lil softer?

seriously. you might want to think of upgrading the source. most people here will tell you the PC is crap. I'm stubbornly trying my best to squeeze the most out of my PC with the sweetest card I can afford
smily_headphones1.gif

I have to agree pc sounds are crappy......but thats all i can have in my room at the moment.

frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back