MDR-V6 repair question
Sep 12, 2002 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ozric

500+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6's and I managed to accidentally bend the mini plug and now it doesn't make decent contact anymore. I contacted Sony about having the plug replaced and they quoted $45 for the job, which is outrageous considering I bought the cans for $60. I searched the Sony website for parts for the identical 7506, and found a match listed as "Plug, Adaptor Mini- Phono Stereo". Does anyone know if this is what I'm looking for?

Has anyone had experience replacing the MDR-V6 mini plug?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Sep 12, 2002 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 4
I did this on my Sony MDR-CD1700's. Not a hard job, and can be done for less than $10 in parts. I have no DIY skills and did it fine with the help of a friend (who didnt really have any either). If you still dont want to, any electronics shop could do the soldering in 1 minute. Here is the thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...threadid=14159

I used parts-express.com item #092-157 (NEUTRIK NYS231B 3.5mm STEREO PLUG BLACK w/GOLD PLUG ) only $1.45 each.
If you wanna go 1/4" plug, try part #092-132
Look around on parts-express, they have lots of options. For the small premium I'd go for Nuetrik stuff just because it's a brand name and well-known to be a solid connector. They're probably nicer than the original V6 connector.

Just chop off the old cord, try to figure out which color wire is which, and solder to the appropriate prong. Very quick! Let me know if I can answer any questions about the process.

Sep 12, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for response, Ian. The only reason for me to have tried the Sony option is that I occasionally use the screw-on 1/4" plug when using sources that require it (but I guess I can always get a good adaptor plug).

Do you have any sort of strain-relief surrounding the cord as it enters the Neutrik plug? The base of the Neutrik plug doesn't seem to taper and I'm wondering whether there's potential for the cord to wear out at the entry point due to friction.

Sep 12, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 4
No prob!

The Nuetrik jack has a metal clamp that you clamp over the unstripped wire. This holds on _very_ well if you use some heavy duty pliers and squeeze like crazy. Once this is stuck, you can pull on the wire as much as you want. Wish I could get a picture of it...
The black metal covering screws over this.

Yes, you won't get the screw on adapter. But those adapters are real cheap (the Grado 1/4" to 1/8" adapter is nice).
Either way, its up to you! Let me know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back