MDR-V6 or/vs MDR7506 ?
Mar 1, 2010 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chrisdescor

New Head-Fier
ok
i've read some arguments for and against these two headphones , which if i'm to understand correctly, are the same, but with slight or big differences like the jack/plug and cord?
what about internally? or the aesthetics ? (not important)

I think its impossible to find a 'made in japan' pair these days. which i've read are (slightly?) superior ?
unless someone wants to suggest something/somewhere other than ebay ?
so i'd have to settle for the currently-manufactured 'made in china' or 'Thailand' etc

the mdr-cd9000st / v7(rare yes?) are a bit too costly for me

my headphone collection consists of sony MDR-CD1700 (not quite)half-closed headphones(more like open). and Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (open).

I'm looking to get some really closed, isolated headphones, which block outside noise very well, and are all-around good for all-things, like audio/studio/location sound recording, listening to music, in the car, at my desk etc everywhere. and are very rugged, so they wont EASILY break if they are simply in my backpack/bag. of course they will brake if I throw them around too hard. but i wont be.

I've heard these sony cans are very reliable, durable etc as well as classics, loud, and have un-coloured neutral clarity/quality, for which I sort of need, as well as like, I think.
my mdr1700's are lush, but i'm worried about them getting damaged or broken, plus they are sort of bulky, which I like, but sometimes too big to carry around if i'm out of the house.

i live in a noisy house, so I'm needing a nice pair which block out external noise extremely well. also, i dont want to disturb anyone with headphone-noise-leak if I pump up the volume in a place like a library.

I've heard of the shure SRH840's as well, they sound to be good too.

so what do you recommend? to a very indecisive person.

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 6
My secondary cans are the 7506's. I can verify that they block out sound very well, are reliable/durable (I've owned my for 20 years, and all I've had to do was replace the earpads), they have a fairly neutral uncolored presentation, good detail. My MS1s (MS1000) sound better, but they don't "close" out sound well at all due to open construction, and they feel more fragile.

Plus the 7506s "fold up" conveniently for travel. For the price, not a bad phone to have at all.

But... I cannot compare them at all to the V6, as I have no experience with them.

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't like the v6 much for general listening, but have read some great reviews of the m50 and the Shures. Some people have written that they are a step up from the v6. There's also the 7509 which is more expensive. I also wonder if the 7506, which is newer than the v6, is significantly different. Most folks say it's not.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 6
The V6s should be great for everything you've mentioned you'd need. From what I understand the 7506 is the EXACT same as the V6, except it has a gold plated plug. The V6s are very durable, I've heard you could almost throw them against a wall and they'd still work fine (although I've never tried it myself) they are very comfortable and are very good at isolating sound. I tweak the equalizer a lot though to get the sound I like out of them, otherwise the mids are right up in yo' face! which I don't like. One warning, since they fold up (which IS pretty nice) be careful not to pinch the small cable in the hinge.

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 6
What's your budget?

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 6
Before you skip the sound aspect, the V6 has a very emphasized low end with awesome bass texture which results in an imbalanced yet sometimes unbelievably fun and involving(/rushed) sound which I like. 'Welcome To The Jungle' by Guns N'Roses is perfect track to test that with.

Audition that if possible with the 7506 and compare for yourself the sound of the V6 and 7506. I'm convinced that will tell you all you need to know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back