MDR-SA5000 Owners - Participate in this POLL REVIEW
Mar 31, 2005 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
[size=small]NOTE: This is a POLL REVIEW. Please read this post before submitting your vote!
NOTE: This is a public poll - your username will be visible against your vote!
NOTE: This is a multiple option poll - choose ALL your options before submitting your vote![/size]

The idea of this poll is to gauge the feedback of MDR-SA5000 owners into a single poll. This will be a first ever POLL-REVIEW which will allow the reader to have a "feel" for the headphones based on your inputs. I think this is better than scattered impressions in a "THREAD" format because it is easier to read a graph than it is to read several wordy posts.

So before you begin KNOW your options:

* This poll is open to MDR-SA5000 owners only. Others may post but it will only ruin the purpose of this poll. I cannot stop you if you dont have a SA5000 but still want to post - only you can stop yourself.

* You have several options - read them carefully and vote for ALL the options that you identify with before submitting your vote.

Thank you - Enjoy!

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 38
Do you think this poll is appropriate at this moment as people havn't had them long enough?

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 38
I'm going to wait a bit before I vote, but the poll raises some interesting questions.

Gsferrari, I'm interested to hear your thoughts concerning your issue with the lushness of the midrange considering that you found the SA5000 so musical.

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Do you think this poll is appropriate at this moment as people havn't had them long enough?

I havent put a "end-poll" date so it will stay up there for a long time...I also think that people are more interested in posting comments and reviews in the early days. Leave them alone for too long and they forget about the whole thing. Besides - some of these comparisons will be best revealed when the new owner moves to the SA5000 from another headphone - the differences are more apparent then.

This could be a bad idea...im not saying its a brilliant thing to do...but who knows
tongue.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

I think it's fine - first of all, there are people that have had them for months now - from the group purchase, Audiocubes, and people that got them in Asia. Second...it's not like you can't do another poll ever again, just a similar one in a few months if you think this is too soon...lets satisfy gsferrari's curiosity, if nothing else.

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 38
Indeed it's not a bad idea. There should be something like this for every headphone though. That would be interesting. hmmmm.. a sort of condensed impressions.

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I'm going to wait a bit before I vote, but the poll raises some interesting questions.

Gsferrari, I'm interested to hear your thoughts concerning your issue with the lushness of the midrange considering that you found the SA5000 so musical.

I think a prominent midrange results in a congested experience. Sometimes the 325i leaves me gasping for breath (not literally but in the musical sense...). It is like an overdose of sugar in your iced tea...you lose the flavor of the tea and all you have it sugar? Is this an easy way to put it?
smily_headphones1.gif

The SA5000 is not lush...it is "lusher" than the SA1000 for sure but still not as heavy in the mids as the HD-650 and 325i. The advantage is that this actually accentuated the musicality for me...a lightfooted speedy presentation that makes it more enjoyable - TO ME
wink.gif

So yes...I think midrange could have done with a little more body and suavity but, as it is, it is good enough for me to enjoy the music.

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I think a prominent midrange results in a congested experience.

The advantage is that this actually accentuated the musicality for me...a lightfooted speedy presentation that makes it more enjoyable - TO ME
wink.gif

So yes...I think midrange could have done with a little more body and suavity but, as it is, it is good enough for me to enjoy the music.

Midrange in terms of presence is just ok to me also. Certainly not bad. But I can have it all with AKG K1000
k1000smile.gif
and thus it's still my main can.

Mar 31, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Midrange in terms of presence is just ok to me also. Certainly not bad. But I can have it all with AKG K1000
k1000smile.gif
and thus it's still my main can.

k1000smile.gif

At first I wondered if this poll was that great of an idea (kinda feeds the FoTM thing, I think) but being able to select multiple options is pretty good, and more information is always a good thing. I agree with lan that this is a good idea and should be used with other 'phones.

Hate to say it, I love the SA5k, but they're not getting a whole lot of usage due to the Qualia and AKG K 1000... if only I had more time to listen to my cans...

Best,

-Jason

Postscript: I didn't vote for the "low-listening" option, because I only listen loud!
biggrin.gif

Postpostscript: Wow, I guess I'm the only one critical of the soundstage... but compared to the Qualia/AKG K 1000, SA5k soundstage is just okay. I will reaffirm though, soundstage with the SA5k on live concert DVDs is unbelievable!

Mar 31, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 38
I think the detail, resolution, articulation, and musicality selection should be broken up. Some people have commented that although the SA5000 is extremely detailed, they find that the detail is detracting from the musicality of the headphone.

Mar 31, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 38
Gsferrari, yes -- those comments help a lot. Thank you.

It's a little bit scary to me how quickly I have become accustomed to the SA5000 sound. Initially, I thought they were a bit thin overall, especially the midrange, but I'm not sure anymore.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #15 of 38
Unfortunately my single major issue with these is not an option on the poll. That is, as I have mentioned before, that I hear a bit of a cavernous (what some may interpret as a honkey timbre) sound that is especially evident to me at lower volumes with staccato notes (single hits on a snare, for example). This is the same coloration that I heard with the CD3000s (though it seems less noticeable with the SA5ks depending on how I position them). So far, this coloration has really hurt the cans in that they don't create a soundfield that sounds "there" like the K1000s do.

However, they do so many other things right that I'm still listening intently, trying to decide if these could possibly be an appropriate replacement. I've got 3 more weeks to decide and I'm taking my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back