MDR-SA3000 / MDR-SA5000? (looking for headphones with extreme detail)
Jul 26, 2011 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

staxxx

100+ Head-Fier
One thing that interests me about high-end headphones is that they produce detail in old recordings that are not visible on many lower-end headphones. I've heard this in the HD800 and the D7000. Now, I can't afford any flagship priced headphone atm, but I read some opinions that the MDR-SA5000 has amazing detail, perhaps too much that makes some music fatiguing. I've also read that the cheaper MDR-SA3000 uses the same driver, but has different pads, which results in a slightly different sound, but shouldn't the detail remain?

Anyone who own these headphones can comment, and how does it compare to any flagship?
I'm interested in purchasing a pair, thanks.

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
You know they are only good for classical, right?

T50RP is you want detail. Massive detail!
Review:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/559233/review-fostex-t50rp-it-s-been-needing-a-review

Actually, I'm going to buy a pair of those so that I can experience the ortho sound. I'm not modding them, though. I'm no good with that kinda stuff.

I've read somewhere that their analytical nature (unmodded) is roughly the same as any other studio monitor though.
confused_face.gif

I own the V6 and they're still a far cry from the HD800.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Actually, I'm going to buy a pair of those so that I can experience the ortho sound. I'm not modding them, though. I'm no good with that kinda stuff.

I've read somewhere that their analytical nature (unmodded) is roughly the same as any other studio monitor though.
confused_face.gif

I own the V6 and they're still a far cry from the HD800.

I actually enjoy my V6 for classical

T50RP unmodded are flooded with mids and nice highs. Lows are a premium though.

The mods are easy. Just remove pad, open them up from 4 screws. Add some Blutak and felt. Pretty easy. You can go over board and start on anything you wish. 

The ortho sound is just MIDS and all the way all day. If you mod the T50RP, you can adjust this

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 9
I've messed around with the T50RPs a lot and haven't experienced anything like the so-called wonder ortho. I've managed to curb some resonance and bring out some bass, thats about it. They are decent for the price given you have the means to power them, they sup more juice than my 600 Ohm DT880s, but they are no 880 or SA5000 in terms of speed and detail.

I've heard all 3; Sony SA1k, 3k and 5k and have owned the 3k for some time. What you've read about them is true, they're amazingly detailed and very snappy, albeit slightly bright as a result. You can enjoy quite a lot of music on them once you get used to their house sound signature. I enjoyed mine with acoustic and vocals, close to one of the best, most accurate I've heard for female vocal reproduction. Easy to drive although I enjoyed the added warmth I got from tubes so amp synergy is something to think about.

The SA5000s have a little more bass impact and all around snappier sound compared to the airy sound of the SA3000.

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 9
I dont think the sa3ks and sa5ks share the same driver.The sa5ks seem to have a problem with imaging and if your setup is transparant enough they are pretty good.

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I actually enjoy my V6 for classical

T50RP unmodded are flooded with mids and nice highs. Lows are a premium though.

The mods are easy. Just remove pad, open them up from 4 screws. Add some Blutak and felt. Pretty easy. You can go over board and start on anything you wish. 

The ortho sound is just MIDS and all the way all day. If you mod the T50RP, you can adjust this

Classical sounds well on the V6, but I prefer an open dynamic for classical. I find it strange that you own a HD598 and use a V6 for classical.
triportsad.gif

I'm still afraid of modding. In fact where I rent, I don't even have tools, and I'm just plain lazy.

Quote:
I've messed around with the T50RPs a lot and haven't experienced anything like the so-called wonder ortho. I've managed to curb some resonance and bring out some bass, thats about it. They are decent for the price given you have the means to power them, they sup more juice than my 600 Ohm DT880s, but they are no 880 or SA5000 in terms of speed and detail.

I've heard all 3; Sony SA1k, 3k and 5k and have owned the 3k for some time. What you've read about them is true, they're amazingly detailed and very snappy, albeit slightly bright as a result. You can enjoy quite a lot of music on them once you get used to their house sound signature. I enjoyed mine with acoustic and vocals, close to one of the best, most accurate I've heard for female vocal reproduction. Easy to drive although I enjoyed the added warmth I got from tubes so amp synergy is something to think about.

The SA5000s have a little more bass impact and all around snappier sound compared to the airy sound of the SA3000.

Wow, thanks for your input, that Sony and amp looks beautiful. Considering the 5k's sound and price, I think I may prefer the 3k, as you described it as being more airy. Not bad since they're about 160 on Walmart.com.

@asrphani: I'll do more research, before I buy. But I've seen many comments saying they share the same driver.

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Classical sounds well on the V6, but I prefer an open dynamic for classical. I find it strange that you own a HD598 and use a V6 for classical.
triportsad.gif

I'm still afraid of modding. In fact where I rent, I don't even have tools, and I'm just plain lazy.

I like the closed for classical because you will hear the details better because of the isolation. The V6 has a balanced sound so the bass is just as good as the highs. So John Adam's Harmonielehre sounds amazing.

I use my HD598 for everything, but not so much for classical. With the big bass thump and airy soundstage, they don't make a good classical can. (I know, sounds perfect. but doesn't hit the right keys for some reason)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back