MDR-EX700LP or RE-262
Jan 20, 2012 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Gozzer

100+ Head-Fier
My current go to buds are the RE-0 and HF-5.

In the near future I'm thinking of going to the RE-262.  A local electrons shop has the MDR-EX700LP for $149.00 cdn. (reg $249)
I understand they have a 6 db sibilance which I think I can deal with.  Is their accuracy in line with of Hifimans and Etys

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 7
262 are another level. EX700 has a big bassy warm sound without any magic.
RE are true audiophile product. But you need very powerful source or amp.
Quality is not good, be careful.
If you want some good IEMs with a good quality in this price range take a look on Sony EX600, VSonic R07, JVC FXT90. I like them more than much expensive multidriver IEMs for example.
Also they can be driven out of your iPod/Sansa etc. But external amp will make more for them.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 7
Big bassy not what I'm looking for, thanks for the response.

For quality, my impression is the  272 are more robust than their RE0 sibling.

JVC FXT90 are on my short list, however suppliers are scarce.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 7
I have to stress to you that I find the EX700 is VERY aggressive in its sibilance, and even if you can tolerate it, I'm not too sure its going to be that great for your ears in the long term. It's also a old design, and while I don't have a pair on hand to compare, I'm sure that newer drivers like the EX600 and the GR07 are going to deliver you something a lot more tolerable and technically competent.

To give you some idea, last time I heard the EX700's I thought that the treble was so splashy that it made cymbals sound absolutely awful. At low volumes, just unnatural and mushy, and at high volumes intolerable.

I'd make a strong recommendation for the GR07; they are comparable to earphones I own costing double or triple the price. They are also more durable and I think are a slightly more practical design than the ear-hanger style of the EX600, though both get favourable reviews for their sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back