MDR-EX300LP: pleasantly surprised!
Jul 9, 2009 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

chriscu1

100+ Head-Fier
There were on sale at Best Buy for $71, so I took a shot on them because I wanted to get back into the IEM/bud game. These sounded way better than I was expecting, mainly because previous Sony buds I had tried over the years were average at best. I have some comply tips coming to see if that helps the comfort somewhat. Comfort is not terrible (and inserts pretty deep), but after a while, it does ache my ears a tad.

Anyway, IMO this phone deserves to get thrown into any discussion of <$100 buds/iems.

Jul 9, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 24
I totally agree. They trounce my previous Sure E3cs which were twice the cost. They don't stay in as well as other earbuds I've owned but the sound quality is good for the money.

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 24
I have the Sony MDR-EX90LP with the Comply T-400 foam tips and the sound quality is definitely in the excellent department--it does need slight equalization to boost treble but the bass is strong and not "boomy."
smile_phones.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 24
I got my EX300 for £30 as I need to fix my EX85's.

They are not nearlly in same league as EX90/85 - Bass is a lot less and treable is a bit bright.

Track down EX90/85 and mod them using my thread - much better headphone.

Jul 23, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 24
just bought a pair. i like them, but they are kind of on the tinny sounding side. i'm still burning them in (so far about 30hours logged), so hopefully that tin sound goes away. i'm using a fiio e3 and a cowon d2/all flac for the burn in.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 24
Same. I got these for like $53 and was really impressed. They get trounced by my fx500s, but for a set of beater headphones I definitely can't complain. I can't imagine anyone thinking these are bass shy though - very strong bass from these. The best way to describe these would be an improved and more civilized ex71.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #11 of 24
Not to revive ancient threads but, I just got these, I think there terrible (used to my akg 518le's) I think theres no were near the right amount of bass and the highs are harsh.

O_O I would not pay the 35 that I did for these
*puts back on akg's*

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I haven't tried these so I can't say for certain, but $35 seems a bit low for the EX300 when Amazon has them for just under $50. I hate to say this, but you may have gotten yourself a fake.

Thats what I was thinking to, but it came with all the papers etc, warranty paper from sony and etc. Do you think this is a big enough issue to accuse the seller of selling fakes?

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I haven't tried these so I can't say for certain, but $35 seems a bit low for the EX300 when Amazon has them for just under $50. I hate to say this, but you may have gotten yourself a fake.

Not sure about that as they can be picked up in Japan for just under ¥3,000 which is a little less than $35.

At that price they are an OK deal and for stock IEMs which they are for the non-NC Walkmans here, they sure as heck beat the cr*p out of the stock Apple earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back