MDR-E484 --> E888... Is MDR-E747 Fontopias missing link?
Mar 7, 2002 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
We've all heard how good Sony MDR-E888s are, with their sumptuous mids, sweet treble, and smooth bass... We've also heard that the older MDR-E484s beat the E888s in the sound department, sounding sweeter and more pronounced, but - there was no champion between the two?

Enter in my 8 year old Sony MDR-E747s, an 'original' Fontopia Silent Cap design with a metal grille covering the 'Diamond Evapourated Diaphragms' - Now, I haven't heard the E484s since mine self destructed years ago, so I have no sonic memory of them whatsoever, but - be assured that the E747s are clearer in both the mids and the treble than the E888s, with the bass being of about the same level, and cleanliness - They sound quite a lot better than the Senn MX500s too.

So, the question is... are the E747s (being the Forefather of the E888s) the missing link between the '80s with their E484s and the '90s with their E888s - Or, do you know of a better model still? Has anyone other than me actually got a pair of these? - Would anyone like a detailed comparison against any other earbud (as long as its in my profile)?... all of these questions, and maybe others will hopefully be answered below
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 30
I've never heard of the 747's (apart from the little Boeing thingy!) but I do agree with you about the EX-70's being fun (a previous post from you Duncan).

I have the 888's, the Ety's and the 70's and, whilst they are definitely the least accurate of the three, they do cut out street noise, are cheap enough not to feel suicidal if they break, and have arse ripping bass - even with the tape mod).

I was seriously thinking of getting the ER6 but now I think I will stick with the Sony's for 'walkman mode'.

Have you heard the SlimX yet? Stonking player - would look good in your collection.

evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 7, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Would anyone like a detailed comparison against any other earbud (as long as its in my profile)?...

Well, it doesn't really need to be detailed, I'd just like to know how you think the Sony's you mentioned compare to the EX70-LP (i've got the newer model with tips in 3 different sizes). The problem I have with them is that I'll only get a _semi_-decent fit for prolonged periods, which is rather unsatisfying as I know how they are supposed to sound from those short glimpses at their potential that I get when they stay in place for more than half a minute. And yes, I've tried all the different sizes.

Do you know what I mean? Do they work for you (seems so)? I have been using them for over half a year now and I also have figured out the proper fit (even though it'll only work with my left ear - weird, I know), but for me they just don't stay in place.

Any comments appreciated, thanks a lot in advance!

Mar 7, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 30
This is literally (apart from a reference in an MZ-B2 Minidisc manual at minidisc.org) the only proof of the E747s existence - at the Sony DAPC website...

Quote:

Model Number : MDRE747

Description : FONOTOPIA HEADPHONE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description Item Number Price (in USD) In Stock Add to Cart
CASE (B) ASSY, COMPACT X49435191 $ 25.95 No Yes
PAD, EAR (BLK.) 332148471 $ 1.49 Yes Yes

Items that are not currently available may still be ordered. Your credit card will not be charged until the item is ready for shipment. For more information on items that are not currently available, please click on the Live Customer Service link.

lol Peddler - That bass really does kick on the EX70s, doesn't it
wink.gif

Ramtha604 - Its hard to help, I just push the EX70s into my ears, and they fit just right, with the medium sized tips - that is how I get the best sound / isolation ratio - But, to answer your question, the 747s are 110% clearer than the EX70s, but I VERY much doubt you'd ever be able to get your hands on a pair now
frown.gif

May 24, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Enter in my 8 year old Sony MDR-E747s, an 'original' Fontopia Silent Cap design with a metal grille covering the 'Diamond Evapourated Diaphragms' - Now, I haven't heard the E484s since mine self destructed years ago, so I have no sonic memory of them whatsoever, but - be assured that the E747s are clearer in both the mids and the treble than the E888s, with the bass being of about the same level, and cleanliness - They sound quite a lot better than the Senn MX500s too.

e747 ... are clearer in both the mids and the treble than the E888s, with the bass being of about the same level, and cleanliness...

They were the best earphones (plugs) I ever had.

I was shocked how bad the E888 sound.....

@duncan, will the Sure E2/E3 sound as good as the 747?

May 24, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 30
I recently bought used E472 and simply surprised by how much this thing sound better. Even SR60 finding hard to keep the pace
icon10.gif
.Is it only me who never felt any Bass on E888? and maybe only guy who never liked MX400+MX500.

May 24, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

I recently bought used E472 and simply surprised by how much this thing sound better. Even SR60 finding hard to keep the pace .Is it only me who never felt any Bass on E888? and maybe only guy who never liked MX400+MX500.

I'm glad that you like the E472. The E472 is a fine sounding earphones with performance better than E888 and near the E484. I still have my E484, but it is a back up earphones for my Shure E5C. I still own these buds: Sony MDR-E484x2, E472x2, E565, E888MP/SP/LP, and one of the highend Aiwa.

May 24, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 30
Slightly OT: Ain't there rules against bumping topics that's at least several years old?

Back OT: At least, coming from experience, I find that Sony's need good seal and the foamies to make them sound halfway decent. The new pack-in bud (E931s, IIRC) ain't too bad when properly put in place in my ears, they still hurt like bejebus. I'm attempting to acquire a set of E888s at the moment.

The only Senn Buds I've used was MX300 and for their price and what they were for, they weren't all that bad. Then again, I only doled out $10 (2 years ago), was wasn't a big gain or loss one way or another.

BTB, Duncan's gone from EX70s->EX71s->EX81s and seemingly liked them each upgrade. Maybe I should take a dive on EX81s.

May 24, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
Slightly OT: Ain't there rules against bumping topics that's at least several years old?

hehe
smily_headphones1.gif

I just recognized: Not only the headphones output on Sony portables degraded over the years, also there earphones have lower quality compared with there older brothers.

Its not much about the bass performance, which is not that important for a good headphone. I do not have fun listening to a muddy bassy headphone, but I do like listening to a good headphone with well mids and highs but weak bass unless the bass is not missing totally. ( and I like bass very much, as I oven listen to trance/electro music)

Compared with the 747 that were bundeled with my Sony MZ-1 the E888 and the E931 are just crappy toys.
I wonder why anybody rates the E888 as good earphones and Sony tells people that they are their high-end top-notch line Fontopia earphones, not true.
I don``t know what these earphones cost at the times they were available but for the money the E888 cost, the E888 have a very very bad "bang for buck" ratio......

If anything is good with the E888 plugs it is the bass performance, but they lag detail in high and mid range, which sound totally flat.

The bass does kick quite good at louder volume levels...

Jan 22, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 30
I am here to show the love again for the SONY MDR-E747 earbuds. Call me a fool for reviving an older thread but I have owned my pair for four or five years now and fear they will croak soon due to overuse (especially now I am in Tokyo where they are a necessary accesory for commutes on the Tobu-Tojo Line and JR Yamanote Line). I am wondering if there is a retailer that carries old/new stock of these forgotten gems. I certainly haven't found them here in Japan where if something is 6 months old out from the first release date, it is old news.

These buds give a detailed, tonally neutral sound for a small package and pair nicely with my H120. I am really not into the sealed earbuds despite the fact they really bring even more detail out from the music; I like to hear a bit of the environment around me. Anyhow, being my first post, I wanted to say something meaningful....but probably came off like an old codger!

Jan 22, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 30
The E741 should do the trick. You should be able find them easily in Japan. BTW, the E484 rules!

Jan 22, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E741 should do the trick. You should be able find them easily in Japan. BTW, the E484 rules!

To confirm, the E741 came with higher end Discmen (and presumably Walkmen) of that period - I believe their difference from the E747 is the same as the E472 is to the E484 (ie, a housing difference)

Gone are my Sony days, very much a Shure person now - might get around to selling my E747 and E472 one day
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #13 of 30
  Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan

e747 ... are clearer in both the mids and the treble than the E888s, with the bass being of about the same level, and cleanliness...

They were the best earphones (plugs) I ever had.

I was shocked how bad the E888 sound.....

@duncan, will the Sure E2/E3 sound as good as the 747?

Hahaha nice, I kick this topic here because I have now for 20 years the Sony MDR-E747 in my possession

Ibought them because the where sold as Extra Bass earplugs, ... and till this day they still sound very good, much bass, good mids and clear highs. Btw, I've never found better, so I use them now almost every day on my laptop ... here are some pictures from my old Sony MDR-E747 earphones(plugs)

wink_face.gif

May 23, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #14 of 30

Just get this baby... wow... the sound really amazing. Better than my deceased mdr e888. Mdr e888 has more sub bass. But this baby has more tight bass, clean mids and high, and better separation tooo.

A really hidden gem.

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #15 of 30
Hello all. I still have my E747s as well but they don't work at all. :slight_frown:

I would LOVE to be able to repair them and actually took a long shot and emailed Sony. Probably won't hear anything back but it's worth a shot. I saw two on eBay recently for $499.99 and $450!!!! I was able to get to one driver and check the solder joints and test for conductivity in the cable and that was good. So it seems like the drivers are shot. Sad and frustrating because I've always taken care of them and never turned them up too loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back