Mdht Stockholm - New Dac w/Asynch USB Input
Oct 2, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #32 of 148

Quote:
Has anybody ordered the new DAC already?
...impatiently waiting for the first impressions as I want to choose between Havana and Stockholm:)

What I'd really like to see is how this fairs next to both lightly and highly modded Havanas 
smily_headphones1.gif

In any case, this guy has been put on my short list for my home stereo setup, but as it's no rush I'm holding off until the Schiit statement DAC hits the market.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #34 of 148
>Is there going to be a balanced output version???

Write Jiun from MHDT an email. He replies very fast and is really helpful person.

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #35 of 148
I don't know much about the details of digital, but I would have thought the PCM56P chip would only do 16 bit/44.1 kHz. This DAC says it uses the same chip yet does 24 bit/192 kHz. Can someone explain how this works?

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #36 of 148
>I don't know much about the details of digital, but I would have thought the PCM56P chip would only do 16 bit/44.1 kHz. This DAC says it uses the same chip yet does 24 bit/192 kHz. >Can someone explain how this works?

Isn't it about the Digital receiver?
Havana (CS8414), Stockholm (CS8416)

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #37 of 148

Quote:

I see your point.

Yes I think DIY DAC's are perhaps primarilly for fun and new skills, and not exactly cheap, but let's just say hypothetically for someone in a student-fi situation where they don't value their time and don't care about a casing, I think there may be money to be saved, unless you can point me to a cheap Sabre DAC, something I failed to find... :p

I will keep the BNC thing in mind... better than silver RCA cables right?

oh for sure, if you dont count time and dont care about casework, or upgraded parts etc you can save cash, but not heaps and if thats the motivation for doing it youde be disappointed 

better than silver RCA? absolutely!! being silver will not help digital signal integrity. personally for coax i use belden 1693A solid copper coax in ptfe, good up to 3ghz signal. combined with high quality amphenol or lemo 75ohm bnc its win. 

check out the ackodac AKD16, which is a balanced dac based on the es9016 sabre. not cheap, but cheapish considering everything is on the one board including volume control and quite a respectible output buffer based on lme49610, its basically pretty close to a diy anedio D1. so will drive headphones quite well directly.

we should probably move this to pm though

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #38 of 148
its a single ended resistor ladder dac chip, perhaps you could fake a balanced output by using multiple chips, but it wouldnt truly be balanced. one assumes they are using the current out rather than its internal opamp and probably they have used multiple chips to get higher resolution as yes its only a 16 bit chip with 92db dnr, less than an ipod

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #41 of 148

Quote:
I don't know much about the details of digital, but I would have thought the PCM56P chip would only do 16 bit/44.1 kHz. This DAC says it uses the same chip yet does 24 bit/192 kHz. Can someone explain how this works?

The unit can receive 24 bits but cannot use 8 of them
wink.gif

In fact the performance is late 80s. It does manage 16 bit performance at chip level (and full scale) but has some roll-off at implementation ( Frequency response: 20 Hz to 18 kHz (± 2dB)) even the chip itself can do better so I assume it is the implementation that damages this, they claim no filtersthe chip is rated at a THD of -92db which is decent enough.

While > 18Khz stuff is largely irrelevant for music it does not indicate competent modern design and you have to pay over a grand for the privelege ?.  

It is highly possible that this technically underwhelming level of performance is not audibly objectionable but again why pay extra for sub-par performance ?

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #42 of 148

Quote:
While > 18Khz stuff is largely irrelevant for music it does not indicate competent modern design and you have to pay over a grand for the privelege ?.    
It is highly possible that this technically underwhelming level of performance is not audibly objectionable but again why pay extra for sub-par performance ?

But why not pay if the 'problem' is not audible and perhaps the DAC sounds great:)

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #43 of 148

Quote:

I think a good vinyl rig sounds better than any 24 bit/192 kHz digital recording set up I've ever heard.  And having heard both excellent 44khz/48khz setups and 24 bit/192 kHz digital set ups, I still prefer the former, supposedly "sub par" performance of my  44/48khz Havana ... and even more so than that ... a high end vinyl rig. 

Otherwise? Regarding the thought that certain numbers and gross measurements equal a "technically underwhelming level of performance" when considering the human appreciation of music? 

For me? The music is about my brain and ears and emotions, not so much mathematics. 

Rock.

.j

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #44 of 148

Quote:
I think a good vinyl rig sounds better than any 24 bit/192 kHz digital recording set up I've ever heard.  And having heard both excellent 44khz/48khz setups and 24 bit/192 kHz digital set ups, I still prefer the former, supposedly "sub par" performance of my Havana, say ... and even more so than that ... a high end vinyl rig. 

The music is about my brain and ears and emotions, not so much mathematics. 

Totally agree with you.

The Stockholm DAC is supposedly more detailed than Havana. I am wondering if it is a good thing or not...

Oct 7, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #45 of 148

Quote:
Totally agree with you.

The Stockholm DAC is supposedly more detailed than Havana. I am wondering if it is a good thing or not...

Well, other than the designer's comments (which I have found to be accurate in their description of the Havana DAC), I've yet to hear any users make direct comparisons. So, before spending any money, I'm going to wait for some serious reviews from Havana owners to surface before making an investment in the new DAC (agonizing wait! I google it every morning, LOL).

That said...

I'm *completely* pleased with my desktop rig (Havana included) and have been for almost 3 years now ... and so, it will take some strong testimony to convince me to sell the Havana and buy the Stockholm. 

:wink:

Rock.

.j

Users who are viewing this thread

Back