MD Rookie Looking For MD Recommendations
Sep 15, 2002 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

FCJ

Propz go out to his homeez at Burrz-Brownz!
I'm just now looking into a MD player. Since I've never bought one, I am looking for recommendations in the $150-$200 range. Based on what I've read, I am looking to copy some of my LPs onto MD, as well as a few songs from my CDs. I may also want to use it for MP3s (such as the new Steve Coleman stuff that's available for download only). Most likely, I will be using it with my new (soon-to-be, I hope, delivered) Fixup mini Meta, as well as either my Ety 4s or Koss 35s. Thanks for the help.

Sep 15, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 27
Hmm, does MP3 mean you want a NetMD unit?
Almost any unit would be able to fit your requirements, but seeing your price range, I'd say that a Sony N707 or Sharp MT190 would be the best to look at. The Sony has NetMD, the Sharp doesn't. The Sharp also has a higher output, if that matters, and I think the Sony has an EQ. The Top Sonys all have EQs, the R909, R910, N1. The Sharps have bass boost.

Also try here:
www.minidisct.com/forum/index.php

Sep 15, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
Hmm, does MP3 mean you want a NetMD unit?
Almost any unit would be able to fit your requirements, but seeing your price range, I'd say that a Sony N707 or Sharp MT190 would be the best to look at. The Sony has NetMD, the Sharp doesn't. The Sharp also has a higher output, if that matters, and I think the Sony has an EQ. The Top Sonys all have EQs, the R909, R910, N1. The Sharps have bass boost.

Also try here:
www.minidisct.com/forum/index.php

Thanks.

I just read that the Sony N707 doesn't have a line-out (which would cause problems using it with a headphone amp--I don't want to go out of the headphone jack). Do you know if the Sharp MT190 has a line-out?

NetMD is interesting, but if I had to rank preferences, I would say sound quality and line out would come in first and second.

Sep 15, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 27
I checked the manual and the N707 does have those bass/treble presets. It seems, though, that it doesn't have line out. The older, expensive Sharps were supposed to be able to detect the type of connection and switch to line out-type output, [edit]. So it seems safe to assume that the MT180-200 don't have true line out.

Edit - The MT180 too, is capable of outputting a line signal. Sorry for the miss.

Happy shopping!
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 27
me,
Both R900 and MT877 should be 200 or less in Ebay. MT877 is one beautiful sounding machine.

Sep 15, 2002 at 9:49 AM Post #7 of 27
None of the current MD's have true line out - and even if they have a line out mode, it's only available if you don't have a remote plugged in.

The newer Sharp units (770, 880) have a pretty good 'flat EQ' sound - probably ideal for amping - and the bass boost is now very non-flabby - lends a definite presence to the music. I'm not sure about the 1xx series.

The Sony's have EQ's but the frequencies adjusted don't seem to quite hit the spot for me. Still, it's a useful facility to compensate for the characteristics of different phones.

I didn't like either the N1 or the N707 - but that's mainly because I record MDs more than I play back. I now have the MT888(MT770) after an IM-MT880, and I think both are the best all-round machines I've had to date - I swapped for the 888 as contrary to what I thought before, I realised I'd never use NetMD in it's current or next guise.

The higher-rated headphone amp in the Sharps may be a better 'base' to amp from. But the Sony's have a twiddleable sound. Your choice, I'm afraid...

Sep 15, 2002 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
me,
Both R900 and MT877 should be 200 or less in Ebay. MT877 is one beautiful sounding machine.

I saw a few R900 and only one MT877 on ebay. I may bid on one or the other.

I also saw the following Sharp machines. Are any of them any good?

MD MT 831
MD MS 722
MD MT 180

Sep 15, 2002 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 27
FCJ,

The 831 is my all-time favorite, it sounds very pleasant (without any adjustment, thus making the Sony bass/treble argument moot), and titling is fast despite not having a jog dial. If it's under $200 and *new*, definitely try to bid on one.

The MT180/190/200 are the same model with feature variations, according to what we know;
The MS722 is nice if you don't mind the size;
It's 2002 now so I think you shouldn't pick the MS702 - the ATRAC is an older version which does hurt the sound. I had a 702 (and its Kenwood clone) and that's what I remember of its performance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 1:34 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by leon
FCJ,

The 831 is my all-time favorite, it sounds very pleasant (without any adjustment, thus making the Sony bass/treble argument moot), and titling is fast despite not having a jog dial. If it's under $200 and *new*, definitely try to bid on one.

The MT180/190/200 are the same model with feature variations, according to what we know;
The MS722 is nice if you don't mind the size;
It's 2002 now so I think you shouldn't pick the MS702 - the ATRAC is an older version which does hurt the sound. I had a 702 (and its Kenwood clone) and that's what I remember of its performance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Leon,

Does $115 sound good for a new MD-MT180?

Sep 15, 2002 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
I also saw the following Sharp machines. Are any of them any good?

MD MT 831
MD MS 722
MD MT 180

The MT831 and MS722 are my favorite Sharp recorders. They're built like tanks with great features, hefty amps, and record great. I'm pretty sure they both use the same version of ATRAC. The 831 is a bit smaller, but the 722 is by far the easiest MD portable ever made for titling, and many MD users feel it's still the best "live" recorder.

The 702 is the older version of the 722; IMO, the 722 is a much better unit.

Sep 15, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #13 of 27
I'm now the proud owner of a Sharp MD-MT180. $115 was just too good to pass up. Thanks everyone for the advice (Leon, I especially give thanks since you gave the 180 a good recommendation).

My first recording will be the triple LP called "Push Pull" by the great alto saxophonist, Jimmy Lyons. It came out on Hat Hut years ago and is long out of print. It has never appeared on CD.
frown.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
I'm now the proud owner of a Sharp MD-MT180. $115 was just too good to pass up. Thanks everyone for the advice (Leon, I especially give thanks since you gave the 180 a good recommendation).

My first recording will be the triple LP called "Push Pull" by the great alto saxophonist, Jimmy Lyons. It came out on Hat Hut years ago and is long out of print. It has never appeared on CD.
frown.gif

You're very welcome FCJ... now I gotta start looking for recorders in that price bracket
biggrin.gif
Doesn't it feel good to know what you're going to dub to it?

The 180 amp output is identical to the 831, and I suspect it might be completely identical headphone amps inside (the 877/77 and 888/770 both use the same amp, but detuned). Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by leon
You're very welcome FCJ... now I gotta start looking for recorders in that price bracket
biggrin.gif
Doesn't it feel good to know what you're going to dub to it?

There's a 722 on ebay that has no bids--$75 to open, no reserve. Here's the link .

Yes, I can't wait to dub the Lyons to the Sharp. Is it difficult to dub LPs, BTW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back