MD recommendations
Jul 30, 2002 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

millerdog

1000+ Head-Fier
I post this for a friend. He is thinking about getting an MD and I would like for him to have some info from real users before he makes up his mind. I think it's because he can't burn cds on his puter and would like to rip and copy to MD.
I just need your input. Please keep responses short, for I will print this up for him to see. Please no arguements about which model is best; your opinions only please.
He knows I got a slimx and I just loaned him my JMT CHA47 to test out(I also let him listen to my D303, CHA47, SR325 rig). I did a search, and most have said: if you got MP3s, stick to an MP3 player.
thanks,
md

Jul 30, 2002 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 44
If computer to MD transfer will be the major way to get music onto MD than a NetMD recorder is the way to go. Sony N1 is the current top of the line Sony unit. If he has the cash for it it looks like a good unit, if not N707 is cheaper.

Jul 30, 2002 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 44
If you got MP3's, stick to an MP3 player.

- If most of your source material for portable listening will be CD's, with some MP3's thrown in
- If you're looking for something more compact than a CD player
- If you don't mind weaker output (with the exception of Sharp NetMD unit)
- If you have a reasonable PC (P4 1.7Ghz and over, 512MB RAM+)

By all means look into NetMD. If not, stick to MP3 players.

NetMD advertises "up to 32x recording" but you should be aware that this is in the lowest quality mode, and then only for the USB transfer time - which is only half the entire transfer process. How fast your computer is / how much memory it has directly affects the longer portion of the entire transfer process, the MP3->ATRAC conversion step.

Jul 30, 2002 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 44
If he has lotsa MP3s, then some sort of MP3 device is best. Yeah, NetMD is good, but it's been poorly implemented. Sony could have done a lot better.

If he's got quite a few CDs and some sort of optical out, then MD all the way. Real-time recording is fun! To me at least.

Jul 30, 2002 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
Real-time recording is fun! To me at least.

Bleah. The day I got my DHC-MD595 was the day I started thinking "Hey, MD's aren't so bad after all!". Fsck NetMD, give me real SP dubbing of 320K MP3's on the 595 - with titling - any day!

Jul 30, 2002 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 44
hehe, i have a 5cd changer/md deck, so i dub 4x at atrac 4.5. Sounds great and i copy a cd in 20 mins max.

Jul 30, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 44
hi millerdog:

tell him to buy a sony r50 portable off ebay. besides the great build quality and good remote, it has a line out. i have been very happy with this setup: r50-->jmt cha47-->d66 eggos using canare mini/mini cables.

also, if he is serious about md he should get a good deck, especially if he has a late model sony changer that can synch with the md deck.

Jul 30, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 44
/me ponders selling his mint condition MZ-R50
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #13 of 44
i mainly listen to music in three places, the car, at my computer, and just wherever i am....

i don't really care to take my pcdp everywhere, especially not walking around outside, inside wherever....

i have the sony mz-n707, yes its netmd and yes netmd could be alot better but i just rip straight from cd to md, and.....lp4 is ok for lectures and things, lp2 is really not so bad.......

i use the mz-n707 with my ksc35s and it does a great job

i prefer my md player over my pcdp-w/mp3, the md is very small and i just stick it in a pocket....

ray

Jul 31, 2002 at 3:55 AM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
/me ponders selling his mint condition MZ-R50
evil_smiley.gif

anyone else have any sony gear they want to sell? i'll be happy to spam it for you.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back